• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Summer clearout

Status
Not open for further replies.
We've got a first team quality player who is playing a bit part. We could get decent money for him and replace him with someone cheaper who is good enough to play a dozen games a year.
And it works from a profit / FFP perspective - profit on sale, cost of new player spread over five years. Failing to turn over players like Kostas is precisely the kind of thing we've all criticised Klopp for not doing. We need to keep generating profits on sale every year, he's a good candidate - will raise decent money and we won't lose much in playing contribution because he doesn't get a game very often.
I remember seeing some stats on Thiago (when he played vs when he didn't) and it was (paraphrasing) 17-3-2 with and 8-5-4 without. Now if we use that as an example for Konate + an inferior CB to Gomez then it's easy to see how cashing in on Gomez and replacing him with an inferior/unproven/younger CB could have a similar effect and end up costing us big time. And it's not like Konate doesn't get injured so it could be a lot more than 12 games a year. Devil you know vs Devil you don't?

I'd want to keep Tsimi as he knows the team & system, plus Robbo is eventually going to start breaking down. We are likely to end up in one of the shit Europa League/Conferences next season and Robbo could be rested for every single game in one of those if we kept Tsimi. I'm not hugely in favour of burning calories replacing a back up unless it is someone with genuine greater quality or is done to help the homegrown quota.

I love Elliot but he really does fall through the cracks of our team in that there really isn't a good natural position for him. Possibly even less so if Trent starts inverting.

I'd want to keep Tsimi as he knows the team & system, plus Robbo is eventually going to start breaking down. We are likely to end up in one of the shit Europa League/Conferences the Champions League next season and Robbo could be rested for every single game in one of those if we kept Tsimi. I'm not hugely in favour of burning calories replacing a back up unless it is someone with genuine greater quality or is done to help the homegrown quota.
Fixed.

no point in moving kostas now, as it creates another position to fill
signings are always a risk, and we have other fish to fry

I'd want to keep Tsimi as he knows the team & system, plus Robbo is eventually going to start breaking down. We are likely to end up in one of the shit Europa League/Conferences next season and Robbo could be rested for every single game in one of those if we kept Tsimi. I'm not hugely in favour of burning calories replacing a back up unless it is someone with genuine greater quality or is done to help the homegrown quota.

I'm generally aligned with you on this but @Beamrider makes a good point re the finance/accounting part of this.

Can we get a younger, cheaper backup to fill that role?

My opinion is somewhat skewed by the fact I really like our wacky Greek Scouser and truly want to see a buddy film with him and Darwin (with Mo as the straight man mentor figure).

Arthur’s going to quietly disappear without a single premier league minute under his belt isn’t he?

Shouldn’t we at least do some kind of blood eagle centre circle sacrifice of him in the final game as a warning to any future loan signings or to FSG if they ever think of doing the same again?

Probably the right time to part ways, but I’m going to miss Big Joel when he goes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom