• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

That old cunt up the road..

Status
Not open for further replies.
[quote author=gkmacca link=topic=47811.msg1439065#msg1439065 date=1323172678]
First he goes down 'too easily', now he 'dives'. This isn't getting like RAWK, more like RedCafe.
[/quote]

Take your blinkers off.

At the very best, its extreme gamesmanship, at its worst, its cheating.

You don't have to have played football to see how easily and unnaturally so many players go to ground. Suarez is not alone, practically everyone does it. However he does it at the highest level, at one of the biggest clubs in the world, consistently.

It's part of his game and part of his passion for the game and maybe if you took that away he'd not be the same player but either way its unsporting and its the reason why he doesn't get given as many freekicks as other forwards who possibly aren't on the radar of the refs'.

Sky didn't say anything about him diving last night, or at least I didn't hear it if they did. I think they commented once that he's one of the modern day forwards who goes looking for contact or something but again, that's just the truth.

Nobody wants Fergie to be right or to like him but re Suarez I can't help but agree, do I want suarez to get booked and miss games for us? No. I want him on the pitch scoring, I just don't want him rolling around on the floor.

to paraphrase Sky last night:' When they lost possession he was down on the floor,clutching his face, when they won it back he was up and running about.'

Courtesy of Binny:'68 - Luis Suarez has won more fouls than any other player in the Premier League since making his Liverpool debut.'

[quote author=Hardcastle link=topic=47811.msg1439234#msg1439234 date=1323186133]
Courtesy of Binny:'68 - Luis Suarez has won more fouls than any other player in the Premier League since making his Liverpool debut.'
[/quote]

That doesn't mean he shouldn't have won more.

Exactly. He's won a lot because he's pretty fucking good on the ball.

Maradona always won the most. Doesn't mean he shouldn't have won more at times.

Woah woah - were working on the basis that after the utd match he's won zero.

So 68 fouls between mid august and october is pretty impressive ;)

[quote author=Hardcastle link=topic=47811.msg1439133#msg1439133 date=1323176784]
First he goes down 'too easily', now he 'dives'. This isn't getting like RAWK, more like RedCafe.
[/quote]

Take your blinkers off.

You don't have to have played football to see how easily and unnaturally so many players go to ground. Suarez is not alone, practically everyone does it. However he does it at the highest level, at one of the biggest clubs in the world, consistently.

It's part of his game and part of his passion for the game and maybe if you took that away he'd not be the same player but either way its unsporting and its the reason why he doesn't get given as many freekicks as other forwards who possibly aren't on the radar of the refs'.

Sky didn't say anything about him diving last night, or at least I didn't hear it if they did. I think they commented once that he's one of the modern day forwards who goes looking for contact or something but again, that's just the truth.

Nobody wants Fergie to be right or to like him but re Suarez I can't help but agree, do I want suarez to get booked and miss games for us? No. I want him on the pitch scoring, I just don't want him rolling around on the floor.

to paraphrase Sky last night:' When they lost possession he was down on the floor,clutching his face, when they won it back he was up and running about.'
[/quote]

No blinkers on. In today's game he responds to contact. That's fair enough in my view. It's up to a ref to decide what's a foul and what's not. I don't call evading a tackle diving, even though - wow! - it involves a dive. That's how you evade things. I've no time for Stuart Pearce jaw-jutting bravado that results in having your ankle hanging off your leg. Dive over the tackle every time. That's not cheating. It's nothing of any relevance for anyone, including referees. The fact they DO react to such things is wrong. And yet, as on Saturday, they still get duped by players diving and then wrapping their feet around the defender's leg - that IS cheating. In a game when defenders routinely wrap their arms around attackers, push them in the back, pull their shirts etc, I say react. Every time. Not cheating at all. That's not to say a ref should always blow for a foul. That's up to them. It's the idea that every action merits a decision is the problem.

Blimey. I'd quote that to suggest the opposite. See the multiple shots,over a ten minute period, of Suarez checking his mouth wasn't bleeding, which Tyler ignored because he'd already decided it was play acting. Sky indeed!

Hmm.

I'm not asking for people to get injured. I just think suarez goes down when there's no/very little contact- which In my eyes is cheating.

I don't think anyone can say he doesn't - yes everyone does and defenders play equally dodgy stuff - its probably wrong to speak about him in isolation , as there are two sides - attacking & defending but I think he's highlighted as he possibly does it more often, after a flashpoint like the wc handball

Ill be honest I took the constant gum touching as theatrics too, maybe I was wrong

Sorry Hardcastle - with respect I completely disagree, as far as I'm concerned he certainly hasn't been diving in the matches I have seen this season. Diving as far as I'm concerned is going down without contact simulating a foul . Of course as all strikers do he will go down if fouled and there is no advantage in staying up, fair enough if there is contact, however he probably cost us a goal when he didn't do that in a game recently and tried to stay on his feet. I think he is being tarred with Fergusons brush and very harshly treated, and definately getting a raw deal from refs at the mo. It seems defenders have carte blanche to kick and manhandle him without sanction. No doubt mission accomplished as far as Ferguson is concerned.

[quote author=Hardcastle link=topic=47811.msg1439247#msg1439247 date=1323187093]
Hmm.

I'm not asking for people to get injured. I just think suarez goes down when there's no/very little contact- which In my eyes is cheating.

I don't think anyone can say he doesn't - yes everyone does and defenders play equally dodgy stuff - its probably wrong to speak about him in isolation , as there are two sides - attacking & defending but I think he's highlighted as he possibly does it more often, after a flashpoint like the wc handball

Ill be honest I took the constant gum touching as theatrics too, maybe I was wrong
[/quote]

We'll have to agree to disagree about evading tackles. I don't adore it, but, in these high speed games, I quite understand it. It's the obsession that some refs have that it's ALWAYS to win something. They don't always think that when a player protects his face from a close shot, so why their insistence that avoiding a tackle is 'diving'? Steven Gerrard's star shaped plunges to ground - cheating, absolutely, he's clearly trying to win pens, but not just any falling over. That's what I can't take - the fact there's no distinction. I'm not saying the opposite and urging a free kick every time, I'm just saying unless there's a clear attempt to force a decision, rather than just a physical action, the refs should ignore it and not pass any judgement at all. Friend's 'stay on your feet' comment was out of order IMHO. I just don't think it's any of his business - if it was, he should book the supposed culprits and be done with it.

[quote author=Hardcastle link=topic=47811.msg1439133#msg1439133 date=1323176784]
[/quote]

Take your blinkers off.

[/quote]

Is that the same Sky whose pundit ( yes Gary Neville), suggested that Suarez could very well have been awarded a penalty, but never suggested it was a dive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom