• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

THE ASHES

Warner won't be back in the test side until the 3rd test at the earliest (He's left the tour to join up with the Aussies A squad in South Africa).

Drawn first day for me. The morning session is going to be crucial, If we don't get early wickets our lead will be all but gone come lunchtime.

England have got into a bad habit of batting shite in the first innings of a new test series, we do tend to improve come the second innings though (this pitch won't make it easy mind).

From what I heard about Broad on the TV, this doesn't look too good. He's had an op on that shoulder already + a injection before the game and now has taken a bang from Pattinson.

And one more thing:
- That England can't fill Trent Bridge for the first day of the Ashes is embarrassing.

Trent Bridge is sold out for all five days of the test.

If you can see empty seats, it's probably because there is so much corporate hospitality nowadays, and many people are away guzzling champagne and eating the smoked salmon sandwiches.

When I was the beneficiary of corporate hospitality, I was told by a cricket sponsor that they didn't do it on a Saturday or Sunday. Apparently people are only willing to go to a cricket match if it involves getting off work. They are not prepared to sacrifice their weekends for it.

And one more thing:
- That England can't fill Trent Bridge for the first day of the Ashes is embarrassing.
Sorry but that's bollocks. Everyday of Trent Bridge is sold out. Trust me I've been trying to get a ticket for the last week after being let down with one I thought I had in the bag.

Can someone explain why the sun being out makes it easier to bat?

Is it to do with the view of the ball or something more subtle than that?

Ok. Not to be a pain, but why does the sunshine prevent the ball swinging?

I assumed the swing all came from the ground & how uneven it was.

Is it the air pressure difference helps it swing?

In other news, broad just off the pitch, he did look in pain when he lightly threw the ball earlier.

Can someone explain why the sun being out makes it easier to bat?

Is it to do with the view of the ball or something more subtle than that?
The wicket is dryer which affects the humidity in the air. The less humidity or moisture the less the ball will move in the air making it easier to bat. As Portly points out though this is only the case usually. Swing bowling has been a bit of a mystery since the 18th Century - One of the many small nuances of what makes cricket an amazing sport to follow. :)

Cheers fellas. I've always taken an interest in the scores & watch the ashes, but never enough interest to learn these things & when I was younger I was always too embarrassed to admit I didn't know stuff. Now I'm old enough to not give a shit in admitting my ignorance when trying to learn.

I do know enough to know we needed that early wicket this morning though!

This is just world class from Anderson.
Taking the aussies apart here.

Dream land stuff from England. Nightmare if you're an Aussie. I honestly don't think I've seen a poorer Aussie team.

Nobody in the world controls swing both ways like Anderson. He's outstanding.

Swann is going to torment these left handers all summer long.

This test is over too. 1-0 England.

How fucking inept are Australia? I'd bet on kiwi batsmen doing a better job if put in the same situation...

How fucking inept are Australia? I'd bet on kiwi batsmen doing a better job if put in the same situation...

Back
Top Bottom