• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

THE ASHES

Ryan

The Prophet
Bloody hell, it's here!

Might have fallen down the pecking order in the excitement stakes due to Australia being so God-damn fucking shit I guess, but anyway, it's here! It's here!

Joe Root in for Compton, interesting. Surprised at the Onions inclusion too.

Australia have slightly got their act togethor uner Boof Lehmann after fucking Micky Arthur off, but make no mistake - this is the worst Australian Ashes side in living memory, and they'll get battered.

I like Rogers in as the opener alongside Watson. Personally I'd play Khawaja at 3, shift Clarke up to 4 or 5, and tell that fucking IPL fuckwit Dave Warner to go fuck himself. Australia's pace attack is the best thing they've got, but that doesn't get you wickets on a 5th-day dustbowl, and neither does Nathan Lyon.

England to win either 4-1 or 5-0.

Think there'll be at least one draw, 3-1.

Pretty excited to have shit to watch whilst I should be doing something else for the next few weeks

Australia have suddenly become shit at all sports since I moved here whereas the UK seems to do very well. So, 3-0 England with a couple of draws.

Bloody hell, it's here!

Might have fallen down the pecking order in the excitement stakes due to Australia being so God-damn fucking shit I guess, but anyway, it's here! It's here!

Joe Root in for Compton, interesting. Surprised at the Onions inclusion too.

Australia have slightly got their act togethor uner Boof Lehmann after fucking Micky Arthur off, but make no mistake - this is the worst Australian Ashes side in living memory, and they'll get battered.

I like Rogers in as the opener alongside Watson. Personally I'd play Khawaja at 3, shift Clarke up to 4 or 5, and tell that fucking IPL fuckwit Dave Warner to go fuck himself. Australia's pace attack is the best thing they've got, but that doesn't get you wickets on a 5th-day dustbowl, and neither does Nathan Lyon.

England to win either 4-1 or 5-0.
I wouldn't be so hasty with that prediction If I were you. I obviously want England to win but having watched Australia and Worcestershire the other day they have some fine talent and their seam attack is decent. The whole Micky Arthur sacking and installing boof was inspired and needed. England of course still massive favourites but never discount the Aussies. I'm off to Trent Bridge on Thursday. Mrs Astaire surprised me with a cheeky ticket. Really looking forward to it.

I can't wait for this. I got sky sports and a new TV installed in my flat last week and look forward to many a day working from home with this on!

I think it will end 3-0 with 2 draws but I don't think they will be as straight forward as expected (but we will still over power them)

Word is that Australia are gonna go with Warner. Huge risk, but I guess he owes the Aussies one so it might work.

The only other debate is Steve Smith or Cowan at 4/5. I'd go with Cowan as he seems the better 5-day player, and plays swing quite well, but Smith is a decent bowler.

Pitch is dryer than a nun's clunge apparently, so expect some bouncers at heads - especially from the Aus attack.

Just seen that the wicket is more like a day 2/3 pitch due to how dry it is, should mean that Swann comes into the match earlier.

I'm not so sure that this is going to be the walk over that everybody seems to be predicting. Both attacks look more than able of taking 20 wickets, and if the Aussies can get enough out of their batting lineup then it might be game on.

Come the end of the series i'm going for just 1 test to split these teams.

Just seen that the wicket is more like a day 2/3 pitch due to how dry it is, should mean that Swann comes into the match earlier.

I'm not so sure that this is going to be the walk over that everybody seems to be predicting. Both attacks look more than able of taking 20 wickets, and if the Aussies can get enough out of their batting lineup then it might be game on.

Come the end of the series i'm going for just 1 test to split these teams.

Yep, 1st test draw going by that pitch.

Not so sure on that mate, I see Trent Bridge being a result wicket due to how dry it is personally.

The spinners will deffo come into the game more and the ball should reverse swing on this deck. With five days of cricket looking a dead cert due to the weather over here (yes I did just say that), I suspect that 1st innings runs will prove crucial.

You might be right.

I just can't see Australia taking 20 wickets on that pitch, especially without decent spinning options. Whether Swann can rip through the Australian attack is the only point for debate really.

Word is that Steve Smith is in for the Aussies.

Interesting. He's improved a lot in the last 12 months, but that wouldn't have been difficult given how fucking useless he was prior to that. Expect England to go right at the stumps, his footwork is woeful.

He can make a quick 50 though.

The toss will be an interesting one. I'm not sure I agree with the reverse swing theory given the weather (although Saturday might prove me wrong) If there is any swing it will be England that will come out on top. I think it will be spin that wins it. Step forward Swanny :) Oh and Root is more than handy as a part time spinner as well.

Agar to start for the Aussies. 19 year old spinner with only 10 first class matches. Still if you're good enough your old enough. I guess we'll see. Brave call from the Aussies though.

Looking forward to this.

I'm a typical ashes viewer though, barely watch cricket the rest of the year!

Bizarre seeing an overcast field when the rest of the country basks in the sunshine, trentbridge must be the only place that isn't hot!

Still provided it stays dry should be good playing conditions.

Nice - England won the Toss!. Little bit of swing early doors. Crucial 1st session.

England win the toss and elect to bat. Must be a good toss to win.

Strangely, William Hill emailed me with a special temporary offer of evens on England to win the series. I put the max allowed of £20 on them as they are normally 1/3 on.

Word is that Steve Smith is in for the Aussies.

Interesting. He's improved a lot in the last 12 months, but that wouldn't have been difficult given how fucking useless he was prior to that. Expect England to go right at the stumps, his footwork is woeful.

He can make a quick 50 though.

Think Smiths batting has improved but think he's in for his bowling given the dry pitch but from what I've seen of his bowling he still guarantees at least 1 four ball per over and if he's bowling when England are well set he'll get hammered to all parts

Agar to start for the Aussies. 19 year old spinner with only 10 first class matches. Still if you're good enough your old enough. I guess we'll see. Brave call from the Aussies though.

Seems to be the Aussie norm now though; chuck a new spinner in hoping he'll be the reincarnation of Shane Warne. Didn't work out to well in the last ashes when they tried it with Xavier Doherty.

It smacks of "KP can't bat against left arm spinners so lets give this lad a go" or desparation in any standard dictionary

Finn over Bresnan seems a sensible option given how dry the wicket is. Finn is bloody expensive though.

Bit of swing there this morning. Aussies got to take wickets before the sun comes out.

Bresnan is usually good for a few runs too! I think Cook and Root should concentrate on not getting out until the sun breaks through and the ball stops swinging. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Never a truer word spoken @Portly - I still think it's going to come down to the spinners. 8 overs in and they already reckon the wicket is crumbling.

Me too. Shame about Root but 98-2 at lunch I'll take. The Aussie bowling looks gash.

I got up at 6am to watch this and can I fuck get it anywhere.

USA sucks balls

That was England's session.

Australia needed to make more of that early swing, I can see this now dragging into 400-5 by the end of the day.

Back
Top Bottom