• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

The combined XI

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mors

Well-Known
There's a list of the top 50 combined players from us and utd in the premier league era here:

http://www.skysports.com/football/n...ester-united-player-of-the-premier-league-era

I thought it'd be straight forward to make a best XI, no bench, but it's harder than I thought, there are some fantastic players on both sides.

Here's my attempt:

....................Schmeichel
Neville....Carra.....Hyypia....Evra
............Keane....Scholes
Gerrard.......Cantona.........Ronaldo
...................Suarez

I really wanted to get Didi, Xabi, Mascher and obviously god in there somehow but it was too difficult.
Neither team has had a great left back, but Evra was far better at defending than Riise, so he's in, although I think that's the only weak spot in the team.

These things are so hard to do, given how many great players there are to choose from, but also how hard it is when some players are in because they've been top class for a decade or whatever, but others you might want to include but have only had a few seasons at that sort of level - or left for another league etc.

Rvp would have to be in there somewhere,probably at cantonas expense .

Yeah Cantona starts for me. Was also trying to think of a way to shoehorn Best in, I'm sure JJ will find a way

There's a list of the top 50 combined players from us and utd in the premier league era here:

http://www.skysports.com/football/n...ester-united-player-of-the-premier-league-era

I thought it'd be straight forward to make a best XI, no bench, but it's harder than I thought, there are some fantastic players on both sides.

Here's my attempt:

....................Schmeichel
Neville....Carra.....Hyypia....Evra
............Keane....Scholes
Gerrard.......Cantona.........Ronaldo
...................Suarez

I really wanted to get Didi, Xabi, Mascher and obviously god in there somehow but it was too difficult.
Neither team has had a great left back, but Evra was far better at defending than Riise, so he's in, although I think that's the only weak spot in the team.

It becomes tribal pretty quickly. You selected Carragher and Hyppia whereas a United fan would instantly pick Ferdinand and Vidic ahead of them. I could see neutrals picking Ferdinand and Vidic.

These things are so hard to do, given how many great players there are to choose from, but also how hard it is when some players are in because they've been top class for a decade or whatever, but others you might want to include but have only had a few seasons at that sort of level - or left for another league etc.

Yep, like do you include Rooney who was top class for a decade winning all around him or Suarez who was an out and out world class talent.

Whats the point?

Everyone's fucking bored and desperate for something to talk about.

International football really fucks me off mid-season. Everyone gets irritable/ bored/ maudlin and just want to talk about anything and everything that wouldn't get a look in usually.

There will be a load of "Whatever Happened to Poster XYZ...I really miss/ hate him/ her" on the General Chat forum soon

wtf rvp ahead of cantona? millennium baby stuff.
I'm sure I typed Rvn, nistelrooy was who I was in about , he was an absolute predator , unfortunately .

Obviously van rapey would be behind Owen, Torres and may be some others

I fucking hate shit like this

Its extremely rare a Utd player will play for us and vice versa..

Also football was around before 1992..

Fucking Sky..

I fucking hate shit like this

Its extremely rare a Utd player will play for us and vice versa..

Also football was around before 1992..

Fucking Sky..
I think youve missed the OP point.

Everyone's fucking bored and desperate for something to talk about.

International football really fucks me off mid-season. Everyone gets irritable/ bored/ maudlin and just want to talk about anything and everything that wouldn't get a look in usually.

There will be a load of "Whatever Happened to Poster XYZ...I really miss/ hate him/ her" on the General Chat forum soon
Probably.

Id say this is about right.
Schmeical
Irwin
Ferdinand
Hyppia
Neville

Scholes
Keane
Gerrard
Giggs

Ronaldo
Cantona

Its hard to argue with all those fucking titles they won. I think only Gerrard and Hyppia are inarguable for us in this time.

It would be the same but in our favour in the 70s and 80s
They had Law, Macari, Robson, Whiteside, Stapleton, McGrath etc but youd struggle to justify them ahead of Souness, Kennedy, Hansen, Rush and the likes.

-----------------------------------------Schmeichel-----------------------------------
----------------carra-----------------------vidic------------------------ferdinand-------------------------------
---------------------------------keane----------------scholes--------------------------------------------------
Beckham-----------------------------gerrard-------------------------------------------Giggs
-----------------------------Suarez--------------------Ronaldo-------------------------------------------

Subs: Torres, Rvn, cantona,reina,hyypia,Alonso,Evra

For the hell of it, my all-time combo.............

.................................Schmeichel................................
...........Hughes (capt).......Hansen.......Lawrenson...........
.................................Souness.......................
Best..............Scholes...........Giggs
.....................Dalglish..............Ronaldo.............
...................................Suarez.........................

Hardest decisions were Scholes or Bobby Charlton and Giggs or John Barnes. Souness was a no-brainer for me but it meant no place for Bryan Robson or Gerrard. Gerrard could take the Scholes role but I thought a 7:4 bias in favour of LFC players would look too biased.

........................Clemance................................
...........Hughes.......Hansen.......Ferdinand.......
.................................Souness.......................
Best..............Scholes...........Giggs
.....................Dalglish..............Ronaldo............
...................................Suarez.........................

Subs

Schmeichel
Carragher
Gerrard
Robson
G. Neville
Charlton
Barnes

Last edited:
Schmeichel
Neville Ferdinand Hyypia Irwin
Scholes Keane
Gerrard
Ronaldo Torres Suarez

Not picking two Utd CB's when they have won what 11 titles and we've won 0 in the period being discussed is very questionable

Schmeical
Irwin
Ferdinand
Stam
Neville

Scholes
Keane
Gerrard
Ronaldo

Suarez
Cantona

Not picking two Utd CB's when they have won what 11 titles and we've won 0 in the period being discussed is very questionable

Schmeical
Irwin
Ferdinand
Stam
Neville

Scholes
Keane
Gerrard
Ronaldo

Suarez
Cantona
Well by that logic you can't pick any Liverpool player.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom