• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

The Donkey

It's his little fucking smile afterward that does my head in.

It's not funny anymore. We can't have a cult hero at the tip of the spear. Grow up or fuck off.

By the way, Michael Owen was right regarding that finish against Brentford. It's a low percentage thing to instinctively go to. There are more boring ways of scoring consistently. This is the flip side of that same coin.

szob unshackled? who is shacking him at the moment?
Some of the lads are going through a bit of bad form, we just need to get behind them and they will be fine.
Pity Trent and Ali had such a long time out. Jota last season couldn't buy a goal for periods.
klopp I presume?

It's his little fucking smile afterward that does my head in.

It's not funny anymore. We can't have a cult hero at the tip of the spear. Grow up or fuck off.

By the way, Michael Owen was right regarding that finish against Brentford. It's a low percentage thing to instinctively go to. There are more boring ways of scoring consistently. This is the flip side of that same coin.

I can't like this cos I loved that goal and owen is a tit, but yeah. Oh OK then

Michael Owen is worth listening to about striker biz, maybe he can coach some sense into Darwin for us

I'm at a loss now tbh

My only minor hope is that we get Amorim and he's someone who can maximise his output. Hes probably got 1 more season, or if the new manager wants him gone, i don't think i could argue. Hes improved this year, but theres still to much idiocy that i really hoped would be coached out of him by now

He’s regressed a bit as the season has dragged on. But we have seen some world class finishing from him this season, think Newcastle away.

But he’s wasting chances still, making bad decisions and this is seemingly rubbing off km Salah & Diaz who, like a group of women on their period, are all synchronising on the same level of shit shit conversion.

Comparing his performance in the league only between this season and last is probably the best way to look at it.

29 league games played last season and 9 goals returned.

29 league games played this season and 11 goals returned.

If you want to break that down into the actual minutes played, it’s 1 goal every 189 minutes last season to 1 goal every 165 minutes.

An improvement - but in the Premier League, those 11 goals put him equal 12th in the scorers list and his goals per minute rate not much higher even if you only included people who have scored as many goals.

Yes, he has scored more goals in other competitions, while I’m not discounting them - LASK, Toulouse, Sparta Prague & Norwich, who, as opponents, account for 7 of his 8 other goals - it’d be fair to call them lower level opposition.

I said ages ago 11-15 goals inbtge league only was a decent result, but for it to be a good season he needed to score 15+ in the league - I said a while back he’d end up on 14-16 league goals (I think) - I’m sticking by that.

15 League goals really should be the minimum for a player of Nunez supposed ability.

I like him, and last year finishing 5th it wasn't end of the world him missing a few chances. Pushing for the league? Its killing us. He creates a lot as well; 8 assists is a decent return for a striker, so i'm not entirely willing to throw the towel in yet. We need another clinical forward however, and hopefully the new manager finds one he likes and hopefully doesn't cost the earth.

Comparing his performance in the league only between this season and last is probably the best way to look at it.

29 league games played last season and 9 goals returned.

29 league games played this season and 11 goals returned.

If you want to break that down into the actual minutes played, it’s 1 goal every 189 minutes last season to 1 goal every 165 minutes.

An improvement - but in the Premier League, those 11 goals put him equal 12th in the scorers list and his goals per minute rate not much higher even if you only included people who have scored as many goals.

Yes, he has scored more goals in other competitions, while I’m not discounting them - LASK, Toulouse, Sparta Prague & Norwich, who, as opponents, account for 7 of his 8 other goals - it’d be fair to call them lower level opposition.

I said ages ago 11-15 goals inbtge league only was a decent result, but for it to be a good season he needed to score 15+ in the league - I said a while back he’d end up on 14-16 league goals (I think) - I’m sticking by that.

15 League goals really should be the minimum for a player of Nunez supposed ability.
His xg (i know), is currently 14.1 for non penalty goals. So he's still under performing. The fear is he goes away, we take a hit on cost recovery, sorts that aspect of his game and we look like mugs. Another season, hopefully with someone like Amorim who might be able to help. After that, if theres no decent improvement, you feel like he has to go

His xg (i know), is currently 14.1 for non penalty goals. So he's still under performing. The fear is he goes away, we take a hit on cost recovery, sorts that aspect of his game and we look like mugs. Another season, hopefully with someone like Amorim who might be able to help. After that, if theres no decent improvement, you feel like he has to go

He’s definitely worth keeping, but even now I think we’d get out £65m back - we wouldn’t need to sell him cheap.

He has time, but he really does need to hit that 15 league goals mark - and more than once.

Getting 15 league goals will signify your one of the top usually 10 strikers in the league that season, doing it more than once is how you get recognised as one of the top strikers in the world.

I think a few people got caught up in the “best in the world” hype nonsense - he’s not.

He could be, but he’s not.

He’s definitely worth keeping, but even now I think we’d get out £65m back - we wouldn’t need to sell him cheap.

He has time, but he really does need to hit that 15 league goals mark - and more than once.

Getting 15 league goals will signify your one of the top usually 10 strikers in the league that season, doing it more than once is how you get recognised as one of the top strikers in the world.

I think a few people got caught up in the “best in the world” hype nonsense - he’s not.

He could be, but he’s not.
That's the annoying thing, he has it all... Except fucking intelligence.

That's the annoying thing, he has it all... Except fucking intelligence.

Fun fact Darwin has scored 9 & 11 in his 2 seasons in the EPL so far.

In Andy Carroll’s best 2 seasons in the EPL (neither for us unfortunately) he scored 9 & 11 goals.

To be fair to big Andy he scored those in a lot less games than Darwin did.

Hopefully Darwin gets another so as he can claim to have scored more League goals in a season than Andy Carroll.

If you want to be really fucking annoyed, pull together a list of strikers that have scored 15 EPL goals or more in a season - there are some doozies in there… let’s just say… one rhymes with Lickie Ramblurt!!!!

Fun fact Darwin has scored 9 & 11 in his 2 seasons in the EPL so far.

In Andy Carroll’s best 2 seasons in the EPL (neither for us unfortunately) he scored 9 & 11 goals.

To be fair to big Andy he scored those in a lot less games than Darwin did.

Hopefully Darwin gets another so as he can claim to have scored more League goals in a season than Andy Carroll
So there you are he’s not a “shit” Andy Carol. He just an Andy Carol

The offside thing doesn't bother me much. He was offside today due to macca having the ball, having no fucking functional play around him, and abruptly thinking oh fuck it then, I'll just do it myself.

The complete inability to convert big chances though, yeah, I think that might be a problem for a striker.

I think the most disappointing fact about the Chaos Donkey is that he’s not even bringing the chaos any more.

His most memorable performance since Christmas was in the League Cup Final…. if only he could break through defences the way he broke through the rest of the injured players sitting on the bench and finish as effectively as he hoped over those fences.

Yeah, but he is the opposite of clinical. He needs three good chances to score one goal.
At top level, in tight games, we cannot always manage that. So, no thanks.
I get that, but there's a reason he's had more chances than anyone else in the league this season. He's excellent at putting himself in the position to score, albeit he struggles when he gets there. We might swap him for someone who is more clinical, but who doesn't take up the same dangerous positions with such frequency. So we could end up with the same number of goals but fewer shots on goal. It feels to me that if Darwin were to find his shooting boots, we could have a potential world-beater on our hands. And I'm not sure that's really down to training - I think it's down to confidence. I don't think he's established himself as an integral part of the team yet. He's still looking over his shoulder at Jota and Gakpo, he's still struggling with the language, and aside from a handful of games around mid-season, he hasn't really found any consistent goal-scoring form. His second season at Benfica still gives me some hope that the goals will come once he feels settled. I think it's worth hanging onto him for another season to see if that materialises.

Back
Top Bottom