• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

The Donkey

"He has to adapt... to even consider that finish is madness."Michael Owen reveals concern over Darwin Nunez despite stunning finish in Liverpool win over Brentford.

Weird that a great finish and goal is met by a «you should have scored in a different way»…

Again, it's only weird if I was an isolated incident. Owen would have done a little shuffle and passed that into the corner of the goal. Boring as fuck.

But, if you gave both players 100 of those, Owen scores far more. Nunez probably doesn't chip it every time either. The highlight video of all the scores would be considerably more interesting for Nunez. I'd love to watch that. But, Owens mechanical finishing is objectively better in that situation over time.

Nunez does need to figure out a boring 1 v 1 finish for himself.

I do love Nunez though.

BTW for those that said he should have passed to Jota ... I've just watched it back from numerous angles, at no time was Jota on-side, VAR would undoubtedly have given it as off-side had Nunez passed it to him.

Watch here with the best angle from about 5:07

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I8IOwI_VvEs

Let's not pretend Darwin has any idea about the offside rule at all. Come on, now.

Nobody has said that there were either. But he still doesnt get the credit he deserves as a Liverpool player.
Generally because his game as evolved a lot over this league campaign.
If you disagree you disagree.

A goal every 163 mins is a 20 goal a season striker.

This is probably obvious, but it's only a 20 goal a season striker if you go on to score 20 goals.

Goals per minute or good, but it's too simplistic on its own. Comparing someone who plays the last 30 minutes of a games, to someone that plays a full 90 is not an equal comparison. It's easier to have a higher goals per minute record if you're coming on as a sub when players are tired. It's also easier to have one if you tend to play 60 minute games instead of 90.

This is probably obvious, but it's only a 20 goal a season striker if you go on to score 20 goals.

Goals per minute or good, but it's too simplistic on its own. Comparing someone who plays the last 30 minutes of a games, to someone that plays a full 90 is not an equal comparison. It's easier to have a higher goals per minute record if you're coming on as a sub when players are tired. It's also easier to have one if you tend to play 60 minute games instead of 90.

First part yes, obviously. But it also tells you that if Darwin starts he's likely to score goals.

Darwin has 16 starts, 9 goals and 7 assists. The goals per minutes ratio is a more valid stat to see the bigger picture behind the amount scored.

Your last two examples aren't relevant in this discussion as the players in question tend to be a starter for their teams.
Also, Darwin has scored in one game this season when he hasn't started and been brought on as a sub.

Its like the stat and table Sky posted yesterday were Varane (1st) wins 90 % of his aerial duels and Virgil (2nd) wins 82%. But what the stat doesn't tell you is that Varane has won 19 headers and Virgil 102 all season.
It changes the understanding dramatically.

All Darwin needs to do for the general consensus on him to be "he's a really dangerous forward worthy of anchoring a Liverpool attack" is to do what he's been doing for the last few weeks. It would be great if he was a truly lethal finisher, he'd be one of the best strikers in the entire world if he was, but if he can just keep scoring a little more, while continuing to do everything else, people will shut up. He's having a good season.

And he should be finishing more than he was, and now he is. Yes, he'll keep missing some too, as all strikers do.

First part yes, obviously. But it also tells you that if Darwin starts he's likely to score goals.

Darwin has 16 starts, 9 goals and 7 assists. The goals per minutes ratio is a more valid stat to see the bigger picture behind the amount scored.

Your last two examples aren't relevant in this discussion as the players in question tend to be a starter for their teams.
Also, Darwin has scored in one game this season when he hasn't started and been brought on as a sub.

Its like the stat and table Sky posted yesterday were Varane (1st) wins 90 % of his aerial duels and Virgil (2nd) wins 82%. But what the stat doesn't tell you is that Varane has won 19 headers and Virgil 102 all season.
It changes the understanding dramatically.

Agreed. There's nuance and some objectivity needed in all stats.

Separately, I don't know why anyone feels the need to compare him to Haaland, he's doing a good if not great job for us at the minute, everyone should want more, but what he's delivering recently is enough for us. He's never going to be as good a goal scorer as Haaland, and I don't think we need him to be, comparing them just means the discussion ends up about the wrong thing.

I'd rather not compare them

Darwin is a stud who does exactly what the team needs him to do. Could he score more? Absolutely, but the guys a menace even when he doesn't score. He never goes missing and I love that about him

Lets be clear this isnt a comparison against Haaland. That would be foolish and very wrong.
But its not rocket science to look beyond the numbers either:

Haaland a goal every 99 mins
Darwin a goal every 163 mins
Watkins a goal every 171 mins
Jackson a goal every 235 mins
Isak a goal every 119 mins

Isak and Haaland takes penalties.

Only 5 players in the league have got more assists then Darwin as well. Missed chances aside. Darwin doesnt get the credit he deserves imho, and is having a pretty good season in all honesty.
Darwin took a pen against Chelsea

He had taken 12 pens before that one and scored 12. He really needs to piss on the Anfield goal posts.

I don't get these fuckers dissing him for scoring a worldie. Spergs like owen trying to bring percentages into it when any fool know they don't apply to Nunez
I don’t think Owen is intrinsically capable of understanding how Darwin’s brain works. Or vice versa, to be fair.

I don't get these fuckers dissing him for scoring a worldie. Spergs like owen trying to bring percentages into it when any fool know they don't apply to Nunez
It's just that he's not going to score those on most 1 vs 1 situations, and we've seen him hit the keeper or post so many times this season that it would be nice if he could refine that bit of skillset to at least have a higher conversion rate in those situations. I've never felt less confident in a top LFC forward going one on one with a goalie than with Darwin.
There's just so much more potential in there.

It's just that he's not going to score those on most 1 vs 1 situations, and we've seen him hit the keeper or post so many times this season that it would be nice if he could refine that bit of skillset to at least have a higher conversion rate in those situations. I've never felt less confident in a top LFC forward going one on one with a goalie than with Darwin.
There's just so much more potential in there.

It’s Darwin - we should be praying that when he whacks it against the post it straight at a keeper, it bounces to Jota or Mo to actually put the ball in the back of the net and help pad out Darwin’s assist stats. :meh:

His celebration for our goal is worthy of recognition of the chaos! What a fucking hero this boy is.
Is it possible to root for a player more?
Fucking love him and desperately want him
to tear Pep and co a new one!

Won't forget half you fuckers wanted him sold, or at least entertained the idea to sell him in the summer.

Name and shame!!!!
With fucking pleasure.

Refugee and that knobhead Blood bleeds blue are the fucking worst. Woland & Stevie not far behind. Then you've got the likes of Fabio and Modo who go very jeykll and hyde, either sucking him off or sticking his head under the guillotine.

With fucking pleasure.

Refugee and that knobhead Blood bleeds blue are the fucking worst. Woland & Stevie not far behind. Then you've got the likes of Fabio and Modo who go very jeykll and hyde, either sucking him off or sticking his head under the guillotine.
Fucking woah woah woah

I've never stuck his head under the guillotine. I've vented when he's been wasteful in a game, but that's it. 99% of the time I've been nothing but praising of him. I think modos similar.

Is this all because we said Jota is a better finisher?

Fucking woah woah woah

I've never stuck his head under the guillotine. I've vented when he's been wasteful in a game, but that's it. 99% of the time I've been nothing but praising of him. I think modos similar.

Is this all because we said Jota is a better finisher?
No haha. Jota is clearly the better finisher, there's no getting away with that. I've even gone on record to say he's the best we have at the club.

Slight possibility I could be confusing you with someone else but some things I've seen peripherally have come across over the top but I understand as well things are said in the heat of the moment people don't mean as I've been guilty of myself.

No haha. Jota is clearly the better finisher, there's no getting away with that. I've even gone on record to say he's the best we have at the club.

Slight possibility I could be confusing you with someone else but some things I've seen peripherally have come across over the top but I understand as well things are said in the heat of the moment people don't mean as I've been guilty of myself.
If you'd confused nunez for Diaz, then yes. I am merciless in my criticism of Diaz, because he's a Columbian benayoun

Back
Top Bottom