• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

The search for a new DM

Status
Not open for further replies.
£16.8m for someone with 12 months left on their contract is a bit mental no?

The Bundesliga starts tomorrow. Stuttgart's first game is on Saturday. They barely stayed up last season and now they've lost their captain and most important player. He's irreplaceable to them at this time. That's what we're paying for. Our stupidity in not acting earlier.

I think one has to take into consideration the importance of the player to the selling club too.

- Club captain
- made 99 appearances out of 102 league games over the past 3 seasons
- involved in 18% of their league goals (6 out of 41; 10 out of 45) over the past 2 seasons in which they barely escaped relegation (relegation play off victory in 2022/23, better GD in 2021/22)
- established DM in the Bundesliga

[article]
Indeed, signing a 30-year-old from Stuttgart, a side that was on the brink of relegation last season, is somewhat unorthodox. But with Liverpool struggling to secure much-needed enforcement in midfield, Endo could be a great short-term fix.

After all, the Japanese midfielder was one of the main reasons for Stuttgart’s late run under head coach Sebastian Hoeneß over the last eight matchdays. It was that run that allowed Stuttgart to secure a spot in the promotion-relegation playoffs in which they smashed Hamburger SV over two legs (3-0 and 3-1). During that run, Endo managed two goals and three assists, and Stuttgart was fifth in the form table in the period after Hoeneß took over on matchday 27.

“He is so calm,” Mario Gómez recently said ahead of the DFL Supercup when asked about his former Stuttgart teammate by a Japanese journalist. “You just have the feeling that nothing fazes Endo and that he can deal with any situation. He is a great player, and I admire him.” Gómez, who is now director of sport for Red Bull, where he oversees the clubs in New York and Bragantino, has, of course, kept a close eye on Endo’s development since he retired in 2020.[/article]

The Bundesliga starts tomorrow. Stuttgart's first game is on Saturday. They barely stayed up last season and now they've lost their captain and most important player. He's irreplaceable to them at this time. That's what we're paying for. Our stupidity in not acting earlier.

We are a drowning man, clutching desperately at nearby children. Dragging them under. Bits of flesh under our fingernails.

£16.8m for someone with 12 months left on their contract is a bit mental no?

From their POV, Endo is their captain, and him leaving has the Stuttgard fans convinced they stand zero chance of avoiding relegation such is his importance. They do not sound especially enamoured with the fee.

And now we are pissing away the cash we have on shite.

One of the biggest clubs in the world.

Run like a cornershop.
The alarm bells should have been ringing when we appointed Schmadtke.

I don't know what the fuck is up. We have an elite coaching set up in Klopp and Lijnders. By all accounts, Hunter and Fallows who head the scouting and data department are also one of the absolute best at what they do. The operational side of the recruitment team seems completely broken though with so many resignations, and the appointment of this absolute chancer in Schmadtke. Plus there are constant rumours of strife between the coaching and recruitment team. All that with coupled with the usual lethargy and apathy of FSG with their insistence on low budgets.

There's no way out of this tbh. We just have to accept that the Klopp era is over. Great team from 2018-2022 - won everything, but were unfortunately overshadowed by a historically dominant team which won a lot more than us.

Klopp deserved to have been backed more strongly, and to have won more trophies, but that's not going to happen. For a brief moment, with the Caicedo deal, it seemed we were on the verge of starting a new 3-year run, but that has come undone in the space of a week in the most laughable and embarrassing fashion you could think of.

This will be a painful season, unless we pull a rabbit out of the hat in these final 2 weeks of the transfer window.

Who would have thought we would be here ? Oh yes, quiet a few.
They couldn’t give a fck about this club as long as they keep it fat like a turkey for Christmas but even that is going to be hard with intent from our rivals. FSG showed their intention last year trying to get rid but no one would buy and here we are. Going to be long slow march it seems.
Wouldn’t surprise me if they keep feeding Gravenberch rumours to keep fans onside.

Last edited:
I would much rather a situation where we have Endo than one where we don't, at this stage. Life is too short to dwell on the past - get him in and start being able to field our world cup winning CM in his right position and our highly coveted young CM/AM in his correct position too.

Once this is in place, we can then worry about long term plans for DM which can't be fixed within 2 weeks given the fuck up we made on Lavia & Caicedo.

I would much rather a situation where we have Endo than one where we don't, at this stage. Life is too short to dwell on the past - get him in and start being able to field our world cup winning CM in his right position and our highly coveted young CM/AM in his correct position too.

Once this is in place, we can then worry about long term plans for DM which can't be fixed within 2 weeks given the fuck up we made on Lavia & Caicedo.

I know people will rightly question it due to his awful injury record, but Thiago, Mac and Slob is a good midfield, like really good, it's easy to forget how good Thiago is when he gets in his pomp due to the fact he breaks so easily. If the goal with Endo is to provide a rotational alternative for Thiago so we can protect him from breaking, and the aim is to bring in Andre in January to work as Thiagos understand until he leaves in the summer, well then maybe there's some method in the madness.

Still, I'd much rather we signed a proper team first ready DM, I'm just trying to figure out the clubs (lack of) strategy here.

I get the the sense that we are all a little underwhelmed and somewhat relieved with this signing of a DM.
Don't be afraid of the dark my friends.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom