• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Search for a new #9

Arsenal have put Nketiah up for sale....... hope yet that Slot could turn him into Sturridge 2.0

Stranger things have happened...

not sure what it is, but i just don't think osimhen has a transferable skill set to our league.With the cost as well, i reckon we could get just as good a striker alongside a good DM or CB.

Also it could be because i'm just reluctant to touch the Italian league with a barge pole. Lukaku and abraham look decent there ffs
I get the whole Italian league thing but let's not tar everyone with the same brush. I'm not sure what transferable skills you don't think he has. From what I see he has pace, power and finishing instinct.

I get the whole Italian league thing but let's not tar everyone with the same brush. I'm not sure what transferable skills you don't think he has. From what I see he has pace, power and finishing instinct.
Change italian league to portuguese and you're describing nunez too

I'd say it about the PL as well!
I was thinking it but didn't want to say it! Mostly because I fear we may be heading into mediocrity again. I really hope Slot is the budgies gonads though and Edwards and Co get these transfers right.

Last edited:
I was thinking

I was thinking it but didn't want to say it! Mostly because I fear we may be heading into mediocrity again. I really hope Slot is the budgies gonads though and Edwards and Co get these transfers right.
Oh we're going to be competing for europa for a few years and i'm braced

Just trying to be different :LOL: and throw in another name: Marmoush

View: https://twitter.com/Bundesliga_EN/status/1767958803159592968

Dated 12 Jan 2024:

He’s tallied 15 more carries (151) and carried the ball 250m further (1,786m) than any other striker in the Bundesliga this term, while his combined total of 18 shots and chances created at the end of a carry is bettered only by Victor Boniface (23) among the same group of players.

Dated 19 Jan 2024:

Additionally, understanding how Toppmöller sets Frankfurt’s defensive system by pressing high up the pitch, disrupting the opposition’s rhythm. His defensive stats this season are:

Interceptions – 6 (92nd percentile)
Blocked passes – 11 ( 90th percentile)
Recoveries – 48 (88th percentile)
Possession won in the final third – 14 (100th percentile)

This means, he’s in the highest level possible in comparison to strikers in Europe when it comes to defending. Overall, it’s a combination of technical skills, tactical understanding, and a strong work ethic that allows Marmoush to be a valuable defensive asset.

=====

This season in Bundesliga:
- 13th in top speed (km/h)
- 16th in sprints

1 goal 2 assists in Frankfurt 5-1 Bayern

View: https://twitter.com/E7p7an/status/1784012965009605117

Last edited:
I'd genuinely look to bring Solanke back. Knows the league, knows the club, knows how to score goals. Bournemouth would probably sell for 50-60m which might sting a bit, but he's coming back a top scoring striker.

If we bring in a reliable attacker, we are then better able to 'risk' another attacker who is new to the league.

Just trying to be different :LOL: and throw in another name: Marmoush

View: https://twitter.com/Bundesliga_EN/status/1767958803159592968

Dated 12 Jan 2024:

He’s tallied 15 more carries (151) and carried the ball 250m further (1,786m) than any other striker in the Bundesliga this term, while his combined total of 18 shots and chances created at the end of a carry is bettered only by Victor Boniface (23) among the same group of players.

Dated 19 Jan 2024:

Additionally, understanding how Toppmöller sets Frankfurt’s defensive system by pressing high up the pitch, disrupting the opposition’s rhythm. His defensive stats this season are:

Interceptions – 6 (92nd percentile)
Blocked passes – 11 ( 90th percentile)
Recoveries – 48 (88th percentile)
Possession won in the final third – 14 (100th percentile)

This means, he’s in the highest level possible in comparison to strikers in Europe when it comes to defending. Overall, it’s a combination of technical skills, tactical understanding, and a strong work ethic that allows Marmoush to be a valuable defensive asset.

=====

This season in Bundesliga:
- 13th in top speed (km/h)
- 16th in sprints

1 goal 2 assists in Frankfurt 5-1 Bayern

View: https://twitter.com/E7p7an/status/1784012965009605117

I've actually seen quite a few publications linking him to us.

I'm not sure if it's the Egyptian factor and lazy reporting

Or because it seems like such a Michael Edwards thing to do

Isak’s leading the premier league in terms of goals scored per minute when you filter out all the guys that have played 5 minutes and scored.

The top 3 would be Isak, Haaland & Palmer.

That’s based on played around 2,000 minutes this season - Salah & Son would round out the top 5 although you have the likes of Wood, Trossard, Jota, Adebayo, Olise & Richarlison that have posted good ratios from Les game time.

Overseas…

I’ve seems us linked to Zirkzee at Bologna because he fits the profile of what Slot would want in a 9.

I can’t help but think Danns might have a bright future under Slot.

Isak seems a) a bit injury prone and b) his stats suggest a bit greedy (18 goals, 1 assist).

Filter out the pens and Palmer barely gets more goals than Calvert Lewin.

He's like Bruno in his first season, once the pen dries up he'll go back to being a player no one talks about.

Isak seems a) a bit injury prone and b) his stats suggest a bit greedy (18 goals, 1 assist).

I think that’s more about how they set up than him being greedy. Gordon’s the only other player to reach double figures in goals and he’s their main assist man - there’s fuck all goals coming from anyone else other than Wilson who’s injured all the time.

By the way - when did this fad of not counting penalties start when assessing players and why?

It feels a bit contrived.

The top scorer in the Eredivisie, is a 33 year old who has notched up 27 goals and 14 assists, which tells you all you need to know about the standard of the Dutch league.
We have right now as it stands Diaz, Darwin, Salah, Gakpo, Jota and Nunez which is a large number of forwards to satisfy. Then you have Danns coming through the ranks. So you need to off-load before you can get more players... I'd happily sell Jota for £50m and get Sesko for £60-70m. His team mate would probably cost a lot more
The priority should MF and defence
Where do you play Trent in a Slot system?
Do we get a player like Frimpong to add pace to the RW who can press in the final 1/3 and in our 1/3 which allows Salah to be more free?
What to do about Konate and Robbo, one is injury prone and can be Bambi in Ice at times. The other, does not have the legs and often gets wrong footed and left for dust.
Dom is almost a world class AM but he is doing alot of donkey work, which takes away from the attacking play.

If you don't concede goals you don't lose games

By the way - when did this fad of not counting penalties start when assessing players and why?

It feels a bit contrived.
It's just people using stats to how they see fit, nothing wrong with fact stating is there?

Some people like to use stats like goals per minute, some like to use expected goals, some like to count/discount the number of pens they've scored. Some people like to use all of them.

Give those 9 pens to Jackson/Sterling/Mudryk and all of a sudden you can make a case for them being "better" than a Diaz, Martinelli, Doku, Kulusevski etc.

Overseas…

I’ve seems us linked to Zirkzee at Bologna because he fits the profile of what Slot would want in a 9.

I can’t help but think Danns might have a bright future under Slot.
I did think this morning that Danns (in theory) ticks a lot of boxes for him. Its just hard to judge atm

The top scorer in the Eredivisie, is a 33 year old who has notched up 27 goals and 14 assists, which tells you all you need to know about the standard of the Dutch league.
It does and it doesn't. The Dutch league is and has been the 5/6th best for the last few decades. Doesn't tell you much more than that. The further you go down the easier it'll be to score/assist because the quality between the top 3-4 sides and the rest are significant.

I could've told you in 2010 the top goal scorer was a 23 year old with 35 goals and 17 assists not knowing how his career would've panned out after that and you (nor anyone else) would've had a clue if he would've gone on to be a success or a flop when stepping up to bigger leagues.

Back
Top Bottom