• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

"The Steven Gerrard to ____________" Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

6TimesaRed

Not a Bot....
Administrator
Im surprised no one has started this thread.. given his attitude last season..

Wasn't it rumoured at some point he is off to Inter ?

Re: "The Steven Gerrard to ________________" Thread

[quote author=jono@home link=topic=40289.msg1105970#msg1105970 date=1274130770]
Im surprised no one has started this thread.. given his attitude last season..

Wasn't it rumoured at some point he is off to Inter ?
[/quote]
It was rumoured that Milan was his destination, but no indication of which team. Inter would have been fav's obviously.

The big rumour I heard is that Maureen is going to Real and he wants Stevie.

*sneezes*

BULLSHIT !

[quote author=themn link=topic=40289.msg1105999#msg1105999 date=1274135965]
The big rumour I heard is that Maureen is going to Real and he wants Stevie.

*sneezes*

BULLSHIT !
[/quote]
Actually, that wouldn't surpise me one little bit.

A little bit disturbing that Stevie just hasn't come out, even in this interview, and said a bit more about staying with Liverpool, having a long term contract etc.................

Gerrard shrugs off transfer talk to focus on England

Steven Gerrard has vowed that his focus will be only on England during the World Cup and not his Liverpool future.

The midfielder goes into the finals in South Africa amid speculation about his Anfield career - just as he did four years ago at Germany 2006.

"Yes I was distracted then. I was going back to my hotel room and driving myself mad," said the 29-year-old.

"This time round I won't make the same mistake. I guarantee everyone my focus is on doing well for England."

Gerrard is also aware that this summer's tournament may represent one of his last chances to win something with England, and he is determined to maximise the opportunity.

That means blocking out transfer speculation, and also forgetting the disappointment of Liverpool's seventh-placed finish in the Premier League.

Speaking from England's training camp in Austria, Gerrard said: "Liverpool's season wasn't good enough. As a squad and a team we underachieved and we are not happy about it.

"But now I am here with England and the training has started I think it is important to park club issues and focus on the job in hand for England.

"If people want to speculate about my future, that's up to them. I cannot control that, I can only control what I am thinking myself.

We still have to improve a bit if we are to be successful at the World Cup

Steven Gerrard

"What is important to me now is the World Cup and focusing only on the World Cup.

"I have to realise that I am coming up to 30 years of age and these big tournaments only come round once every four years so maybe this is going to be my last one.

"I have to be mindful of that, make the most of it and do well."

And Gerrard indicated that England's preparations in Austria are going according to plan.

"I am fine and training with no problems. I am excited and really looking forward to the World Cup and hopefully I can remain fit and push on and do well.

"I am not really noticing much difference with the altitude. Training has been very intense, very sharp. The boys are excited and spirits are high and we need to keep that going."

As for their chances of winning the World Cup, Gerrard believes England coach Fabio Capello is creating the right environment for success.

"Fabio has been here for a couple of years so we have had time to get used to his ideas and know what he wants," added Gerrard.

"There is still a bit more time to prepare and make sure we are all ready for the tournament.

"The manager has a winning mentality and slowly he has instilled that into the players.

"During qualifying we played well, but we still have to improve a bit if we are to be successful at the World Cup.

"But things are going well and moving along really, really well."

England return from Austria for a friendly against Mexico at Wembley on Monday.

They will then head back to their training base at Irdning two days later before playing their final pre-World Cup friendly against Japan in nearby Graz on 30 May.

England open their World Cup campaign on 12 June against USA.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/world_cup_2010/8698616.stm

I am starting to realise that we should cash in on SG. If we can get 30M for him I would be happy to buy 3 good players. Also it is fair to say that the loss of a dominant player can help the other lesser players to blossom. See Fletcher at United after Keane left.

[quote author=Morse link=topic=40289.msg1107756#msg1107756 date=1274538484]
the loss of a dominant player can help the other lesser players to blossom.
[/quote]

Hmm. Such as Lucas when Xabi left or Gerrard is injured for extended periods?

I am not totally against cashing in on Gerrard, but I would not support it in the expectation of our lesser players blossoming.

[quote author=Brendan link=topic=40289.msg1107804#msg1107804 date=1274548612]
Yeah, we should sell Gerrard and allow that fucking mong Lucas to *flourish*
[/quote]

Just imagine what he could do with more games though, Brendan.

Mourinho made Gerrard his top target for Inter and with him possibly moving to Real, I expect Mourinho to push harder to get him. I asked in another thread what's the odds of Xabi and Gerrard reuniting at Real? Its quite plausible.

[quote author=darkstarexodus link=topic=40289.msg1107808#msg1107808 date=1274551161]
[quote author=Brendan link=topic=40289.msg1107804#msg1107804 date=1274548612]
Yeah, we should sell Gerrard and allow that fucking mong Lucas to *flourish*
[/quote]

Just imagine what he could do with more games though, Brendan.
[/quote]

get us relegated?

[quote author=RolandG link=topic=40289.msg1107811#msg1107811 date=1274551528]
Mourinho made Gerrard his top target for Inter and with him possibly moving to Real, I expect Mourinho to push harder to get him. I asked in another thread what's the odds of Xabi and Gerrard reuniting at Real? Its quite plausible.
[/quote]

Yeah, it is.

Looks like it now. Team rebuilding now starts for LFC, and maybe in 5 years time we might challenge again for the title....

*glooms*

This situation is similar to that of an NBA basketball team in need of rebuilding..

The majority of the time they will always trade the older big name player on huge wages for 3 younger talented lads with bags of potential.

i think Stevie deserves a move.. its obvious to me that he has always wanted to challenge himself elsewhere...

a straight swap for Gago, Higuain and Arbeloa would suffice.

[quote author=TheBunnyman link=topic=40289.msg1107872#msg1107872 date=1274562929]
[quote author=RolandG link=topic=40289.msg1107811#msg1107811 date=1274551528]
[/quote]

Yeah, it is.

[/quote]

he quite clearly misses him, thats probably why he was so cack last season :)

gay-kissing-9.jpg

In all seriousness despite how good he is.. the selling of gerrard could well be the making of Liverpool. Cash in him before he gets to thirty something, rebuild the team. He never played in his natural position anyway... His return last year for a second striker was very poor at best!!

Cashing in on Gerrard isn't going to allow us to rebuild the team. A few years ago maybe, but what does 30M buy you these days? These are times in which Milner is being talked about about in the 25M bracket and the top players are being sold for in excess of 50M.

[quote author=gareth_thomas link=topic=40289.msg1107902#msg1107902 date=1274581862]
This situation is similar to that of an NBA basketball team in need of rebuilding..

The majority of the time they will always trade the older big name player on huge wages for 3 younger talented lads with bags of potential.

i think Stevie deserves a move.. its obvious to me that he has always wanted to challenge himself elsewhere...

[/quote]

Completely disagree. Had that been the case he'd have gone to Chelsea when Mourinho was there. It took ages for LFC to make Stevie a proper offer at the time, but he waited that long for it because he hated the idea of leaving.

Whether he still feels that way now is a different question. I don't know the answer, and maybe even he doesn't yet.

It's such a shit situation. We have no money for players unless we sell our highest value stars, and then if we do do that there is no evidence to suggest all the money will be invested in the squad and even then if it were, the money would be given to benitez to strengthen and he has fucked up the last 4 transfer windows horrifically.
I thought the regeneration of the squad might be the best thing for the club. But that was under the delusion that Rafa would be gone and additional investment would be in place. But the scenario we appear to be in is if we sell Ie Gerrard and Torres for 70m we will be given about 40m to spend and that money will be spent by the man who has spent all his money of late on Keanes, Dossenas, Aquilanis, Babels etc. It fills me with dread (and bile).
I am massively in favour of keeping our best players and hopefully picking up a cole/guti/raul type of squad players to at least get us back in the top 4.
Gerrard leaving wouldn't signal rebuilding. It would signal demise.

[quote author=gareth_thomas link=topic=40289.msg1107902#msg1107902 date=1274581862]

[/quote]

Why doesnt he come out and say what he want though. This shit about only concentrating on England is all very fine and well and reassuring for English fans, but its Liverpool fans who pay his huge wages, and although he has been a fantastic servant to the club and its fans, I think we deserve to know what his future plans are.

As much as i am against the idea of selling gerrard, i think that it wouldnt be such a bad idea if we sign rodwell as his replacement and someone else.

Rodwell + Martinez = 35mil
Gerrard = 30mil

Pay abit extra but have 2 amazing players for the future

[quote author=zlatan18 link=topic=40289.msg1108016#msg1108016 date=1274630350]
As much as i am against the idea of selling gerrard, i think that it wouldnt be such a bad idea if we sign rodwell as his replacement and someone else.

Rodwell + Martinez = 35mil
Gerrard = 30mil

Pay abit extra but have 2 amazing players for the future
[/quote]

you seriously think we could get Rodwell?

Both those players are being talked about in the 20-30m bracket. We have missed our chance to sign Martinez now.

Milner will be gerrards replacment.. Milner can play pretty much anywhere in midfield.

Gerrard will be leaving

I did not think Owen leaving and the utter feeling of gutted hurt it gave me (especially after I gave my son the middle name "Owen" a few months earlier) could be matched but Stevie leaving would be devastating in so many ways.

My nipper would be so upset and we have shit loads of his shirts

[quote author=Jack D Rips link=topic=40289.msg1107973#msg1107973 date=1274618034]

[/quote]

Why doesnt he come out and say what he want though. This shit about only concentrating on England is all very fine and well and reassuring for English fans, but its Liverpool fans who pay his huge wages, and although he has been a fantastic servant to the club and its fans, I think we deserve to know what his future plans are.
[/quote]

Players get told by their clubs, & their country's not to be drawn into talking about their club prior to tournaments.

I don't know if anyone has actually listened to the full interview and are able confirm that the following is an accurate account of what was actually said in that interview. It would hardly be shocking that a media outlet, even the BBC would choose to willfully misinterpret what an interviewee said to create a headline.

Gerrard: Yes, I’ll be at Liverpool next season.
Posted on May 22nd, 2010 by Jim Boardman

Liverpool fans have enough problems trying to decipher the truth from the never-ending speculation and off-the-record whispering that fills the back pages on a regular basis. Hints are made, but those doing the hinting haven’t the courage to put their names to their suggestions about their enemies. Or perhaps in some cases their contracts prevent them from just coming out with it.

That’s why it’s always good to see some actual quotes. Obviously it doesn’t mean the speaker is being honest but at least we know what the speaker really said.

Except, it seems, when it’s the BBC reporting the quotes. Only they can say why they missed out a vital couple of answers from their exclusive interview with Steven Gerrard, on duty with England but finding himself being asked about his Liverpool future.

Their online report of what Gerrard said in an interview with their senior football correspondent, Ian Dennis, differs in emphasis from what supporters actually heard when it went out on Five Live this afternoon (2:08.26 in).

Of course there’s no saying Gerrard means what he said today, but he certainly seemed very much taken aback when asked if he’d still be at Anfield next season: “What do you mean? Well I’ve got three years left so I will be, yes.â€

This wasn’t the sound of someone answering diplomatically; this was the sound of someone who meant it. And perhaps that’s why it was completely dropped from the online report of what he’d said.

The interviewer started out by asking the Reds captain how is season had been so far: “For Liverpool everyone knows – it’s been well documented – it wasn’t good enough,†he said.

Moving to get the interview back to matters relating to the World Cup, Gerrard went on: “As a team and as a squad we’ve underachieved and we’re certainly not happy about it, but now we’re here with England and the training’s started I think it is important to park club issues and focus on the job in hand for England.â€

The interviewer was sticking with his Liverpool questions though, asking him if he was personally hampered by injury during the season: “I’ve suffered a few injuries during the season and stuff, and struggled to gain form really quickly after those injuries but I think that’s just searching for excuses really. I think as a whole squad, the whole Liverpool team have underachieved this year.â€

Briefly back to England matters and Gerrard was asked how fit he was for forthcoming trip to South Africa: “I’m fine. No problems, really looking forward to the World Cup, excited and hopefully I can remain fit and push on and do well.â€

And did he see this as the last chance for the ‘golden generation’? “Maybe it will be,†he said. “For me I’ve got to realise I’m coming up to 30 years of age and these big tournaments come round every four years, so maybe it is going to be my last one, so I have to be conscious of that and try and make the most of it and do well.â€

And back to Liverpool. The interviewer asked: “Like four years ago in the build up to the last World Cup there’s speculation about your future, is that a distraction to you?â€

A little pause from Gerrard to think about it, suggesting he hadn’t really thought about it until then, before answering: “Er.. Not really. I think it was [a distraction] four years ago, because I was going back to my hotel room and driving myself mad and stuff but this time round I won’t make the same mistake. What’s important to me now is going to the World Cup and focussing on the World Cup. If people want to speculate about my future, that’s up to them, I can’t control that, I can only control what I am thinking myself and I can guarantee everyone my focus is on doing well for England.â€

And on to the questions omitted by the BBC’s written report of the interview: “Where does your future lie?†asked the reporter. “What do you mean?†replied the captain.

“In terms of, you know, will you be at Liverpool next season?†clarified the reporter. “Well I’ve got three years left so I will be. Yes.†replied the Liverpool club captain, without any ambiguity at all.

But it won’t stop the speculation – even though he’s made it clear the speculation can be a distraction. And with senior sources so readily willing to fuel speculation to anyone who’ll listen, Liverpool fans know they’ve got plenty more to sift through yet.

http://www.anfieldroad.com/news/201005223669/gerrard-yes-ill-be-at-liverpool-next-season.html/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom