• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

"The Steven Gerrard to ____________" Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I read that on RAWK as well, but I haven't seen it printed anywhere else so I remain cautiously optimistic.

From Times Online May 24, 2010

Jose Mourinho plans Real Madrid move for Steven Gerrard

Matt Hughes, Deputy Football Correspondent, Madrid

Real have begun talks with Inter Milan about a compensation package that could reach £15 million and are ready to turn their attention towards agreeing Mourinho’s personal terms.

In addition to asking for wages of £10 million a year, Mourinho will present Pérez with a list of transfer targets, including Steven Gerrard. The Portuguese came close to signing the Liverpool captain on two occasions at Chelsea and believes that the midfield player may finally be ready to leave Anfield as a result of his perceived disillusionment with Rafael Benítez, the manager, and the club’s American owners, Tom Hicks and George Gillett Jr.

Gerrard said yesterday that he will not make a decision on his future until after the World Cup, so the stand-off is likely to develop into one of the sagas of the summer.

“I have not spoken with Florentino Pérez yet,†Mourinho said. “We will speak tomorrow. It’s not so much about the options I have. I’ve not spoken to anybody about more details. I know many people are discussing this and there are discussions between the clubs.

“I need to understand what they want from me and will give the answer I feel is adequate. It’s a matter of getting the right movement and we’ll see what happens next.â€

Inter, who won the Champions League final 2-0 against Bayern Munich at the Bernabéu on Saturday, are resigned to Mourinho’s departure, although he tried to ease the pain of his probable passing by thanking the club for two glorious years.

Benítez is in the frame to replace one of his most loathed adversaries and Guus Hiddink, the Turkey coach, has also been linked with the position.

However, Inter are thought to be leaning towards appointing Sinisa Mihajlovic, their former midfield player and assistant coach, after an impressive first season in charge of Catania.

“I’ve always had lovely seasons,†Mourinho said. “Wherever I went I had difficult jobs and unforgettable experiences, but there’s something inside me which will always remember this season with Inter.

“That will not change. But should I change teams this year, I don’t mind playing against Inter next year. I left Porto and played against them. I played against Chelsea and Barcelona. It’s not a problem for me.â€

Massimo Moratti, the Inter president, acknowledged that Mourinho’s successor would have a tough act to follow. “Mourinho is unique,†Moratti said. “No one can coach, motivate and communicate like he can. He has great merit and he is an unforgettable person. If somebody else should arrive in his place, he shouldn’t try to imitate but move forward with his own personality.â€

Mourinho has guided Inter to two Scudetti, one Italian Cup and also the European Cup, the club’s first in 45 years. They went unbeaten at San Siro throughout the season, losing only four times in Serie A.

Bayern have also moved swiftly to plan for the future, with the beaten finalists announcing yesterday that Franck Ribéry has signed a new five-year contract at the club.

The France winger, who was suspended for the final, was expected to leave because he had attracted strong interest from Real and Chelsea, but, with his standing declining after a disappointing season interrupted by his alleged involvement in an under-age prostitution scandal, the 27-year-old has opted to stay with Bayern.

“My family and I are delighted that we’re staying in Munich,†Ribéry said. “The club has become a big family for me.

I am very happy that I opted to continue working together with Bayern.â€

Wanted: Coach’s top targets at Real

Maicon The Inter Milan and Brazil right back is likely to be José Mourinho’s first signing as Real Madrid coach this week as the Portuguese seeks to give the club impetus from the back.

Steven Gerrard Mourinho tried to take the Liverpool captain to Chelsea on two occasions and will hope it is third time lucky, albeit with a different club, this summer.

Ricardo Carvalho Chelsea have indicated their willingness to sell the Portugal defender and Mourinho would love to link up with the 32-year-old for a third time.

Diego Milito The Argentina striker has another three years on his contract at Inter Milan and, after collecting the man-of-the-match award on Saturday, expressed a desire to stay in Italy and may prove difficult to prise away.

Steve Clarke Mourinho has not exactly missed his former assistant manager at Chelsea, but Giuseppe Baresi is unlikely to follow him to Real and Clarke is available.

[quote author=Jack D Rips link=topic=40289.msg1108018#msg1108018 date=1274631397]
[quote author=zlatan18 link=topic=40289.msg1108016#msg1108016 date=1274630350]
As much as i am against the idea of selling gerrard, i think that it wouldnt be such a bad idea if we sign rodwell as his replacement and someone else.

Rodwell + Martinez = 35mil
Gerrard = 30mil

Pay abit extra but have 2 amazing players for the future
[/quote]

you seriously think we could get Rodwell?
[/quote]

No i dont think so but if the money is there then maybe everton might not have a choice. But yeah wishful thinking :(

Reading that Gerrard clearly stated that he is staying is a huge relief. Time to rebuild. The spine is in place, so we don't need too many players.

Steve Clarke would be some sneak getting to become the assistant manager of Madrid.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom