• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Thoughts on Today's game

Status
Not open for further replies.
I thought the ref was horrendous. I knew he would be when I saw it was mr Beach ball..

[quote author=peterhague link=topic=46917.msg1401428#msg1401428 date=1316374986]
[quote author=Dylan link=topic=46917.msg1401310#msg1401310 date=1316366959]
Fact is, we were SO bad it's actually easy to write this one off put it behind us and move on. A bit like when the Mancs lost 5-0 at Newcastle or 6-2 or whatever the hell it was at Southampton. I'd actually be more worried if we were just average and lost 1 or 2 nil. We won't play that badly again this season. We won't have two players sent off in the same game again this season. Hopefully we won't get that ref again this season. And most of all, next time we play in the league, Stevie will be on the pitch. Cheer up fellas.
[/quote]

the fact we're STILL looking to a past-his-best gerrard for solace is about the last thing in the world likely to cheer me up.
[/quote]

Who says he's past his best? Gerrard would improve every side in the PL - both Mancs, Chelsea, Spurs included.

[quote author=LeTallecWiz link=topic=46917.msg1401427#msg1401427 date=1316374777]
[quote author=Buddha link=topic=46917.msg1401426#msg1401426 date=1316374659]
[quote author=Shadey link=topic=46917.msg1401269#msg1401269 date=1316364624]
Thoughts?

its a one off crazy game that we'll of forgot about by the end of the season..
[/quote]

I thought that was the Stoke game.
[/quote]

Come on B - we dominated the Stoke game, and just couldn't make possession/shots/domination translate into goals. It happens. This was a game where we were such shit that we couldn't afford what happened (quick goal, cards etc). I HOPE it's something Kenny learns from, and we ensure it doesn't happen again.

2-1-2 isn't a great way to start the season - but let's not lose hope just yet. After we lose to Wolves, ok? :p
[/quote]

Maybe it's the day-long hangover, but after watching that shite my early-season optimism is waning.

Even before the sending off our midfield two (don't even get me started on Henderson) looked sluggish and too deep again. I can't see this Lucas-Adam set-up working long-term and bar Gerrard, I'm not sure what we can do about it.

[quote author=peterhague link=topic=46917.msg1401428#msg1401428 date=1316374986]
Fact is, we were SO bad it's actually easy to write this one off put it behind us and move on. A bit like when the Mancs lost 5-0 at Newcastle or 6-2 or whatever the hell it was at Southampton. I'd actually be more worried if we were just average and lost 1 or 2 nil. We won't play that badly again this season. We won't have two players sent off in the same game again this season. Hopefully we won't get that ref again this season. And most of all, next time we play in the league, Stevie will be on the pitch. Cheer up fellas.
[/quote]

the fact we're STILL looking to a past-his-best gerrard for solace is about the last thing in the world likely to cheer me up.
[/quote]how dare you ph he says he's in the best shape for ten years and his groin ever better, just to have him in our team will boost the lads..

[quote author=Dylan link=topic=46917.msg1401433#msg1401433 date=1316375255]
[/quote]

[/quote]

Who says he's past his best? Gerrard would improve every side in the PL - both Mancs, Chelsea, Spurs included.
[/quote]

But it is a little sad we are pining after gerrard given the amount of money we spent in the summer

Andy needs to get into the box more. His greatest asset is his heading so I would prefer it if he was in the box to attack some crosses.

Skrtel who isn't a RB to be fair had a nightmare. Over zealous, shaky and didn't install any confidence into the team. I was nervous just looking at him out there. I always find he has a habit of making a challenge when he doesn't need to. Before kick off in the match thread I said that I hope he doesn't get booked early as that's his game done. He can be rash at times and isn't suited to RB so hopefully he'll put this game behind him and move on. Kuyt had to play, just had to play to give Skrtel some cover and against Bale. Dirk must be disgusted not to feature. Henderson just waltzed in and has done nothing to earn his place. I'm a huge Dirk fan and I want Henderson to succeed here but his inclusion over Kuyt isn't merited. We were firing on all cylinders last season with Suarez and Kuyt interchanging. Get Kuyt back in the side please Kenny. Henderson is a passenger at the moment and bar that goal against Bolton you wouldn't know he was playing. Not showing much personality to try and impact the game in anyway. Fair enough he doesn't want to fuck up and is trying to maintain ball retention but he cost 13-16 million and is keeping Kuyt off the team so I think we need a little more than football by the numbers from him.

I like Enrique but he's a bit indulgent isn't he? He'll go down a few blind alleys and take a few risks but still cracking business for 7million odd. He had Kyle Walker flying at him today which was going to be tough. Walker is excellent and could easily be the first choice for England soon if Johnson isn't careful.

I've already laid into Adam in other threads. Maybe he was indulged at Blackpool but it won't be tolerated here. Taking extra touches, trying to pull off tricky passes, petty fouling etc. I love his passion and his commitment to the cause but he was poor at Stoke and today was a car crash for him. He'll bounce back and the fee paid for him very astute. He should sit out the odd game and will do so when Gerrard is back.

[quote author=Dylan link=topic=46917.msg1401433#msg1401433 date=1316375255]
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

i say it, because it's about as close to a fact as an opinion gets. imo gerrard will never be the player he was c.2006, because back then he was a force of nature.

I've had a chance to calm down and think about the game

* using skrtel against bale

* going 4 across the middle

maybe wasn't the best of decisions, we should have put an extra body in midfield and made it difficult for spurs to pass through us and made it difficult for spurs to get the ball to bale who was always going to skin skrtel alive.

that said any plan you may have for the game goes out the window with a sending off but we still failed to flooded the midfield. far too easy for spurs and that was BEFORE we were down to 10.
bad day at the office, learn from it and move on.

Fouls:
Spurs 10 Liverpool 8

Cards:
Spurs 1 Liverpool 6 (2 reds)

Mr Beach ball is a grade a cunt imho.

I don't think he really made a difference to be honest Hansern - we were really really poor.

I take 2 issues though:

1) Adam's 1st card- really necessary? It seemed harsh. 2nd one could have gone either way - so I can't fault him really.
2) He awards a free kick on Enrique for tugging Walker's arm, yet ignores the same exact foul on Carroll in the box by Akotto.

[quote author=LeTallecWiz link=topic=46917.msg1401532#msg1401532 date=1316381077]
I don't think he really made a difference to be honest Hansern - we were really really poor.

I take 2 issues though:

1) Adam's 1st card- really necessary? It seemed harsh. 2nd one could have gone either way - so I can't fault him really.
2) He awards a free kick on Enrique for tugging Walker's arm, yet ignores the same exact foul on Carroll in the box by Akotto.
[/quote]

adam's first card was a joke and the lunge on suarez went unpunished after he was giving us yellows like they were going out of style.

Comments by fans at the game was that on Adams second foul the ref only decided to send him off after 3-4 Spurs players crowded in on him and waved imaginery cards.

The ref was a joke and he loved giving Suarez the card. I hate Jones, but expected it after the beach ball incident. He's an awful awful referee.

We're do some luck in this department though, there has been decisions going againdt us in 4 out of 5 games now.

We were battered by a far better and more agressive side. It happens. 6 months ago we ripped Man City apart at home with a similar performance and look at them now.

There are some major concerns for me, which I've highlighted repeatedly on here:

- We have no midfielder capable of controlling a game. I'm not going to rip Adam apart because he's trying hard and he fucked up. He's not good enough to play every week in a central midfield of a team aspiring to compete for league titles, and that's it. I'd stick Gerrard in there but I don't even think that's the answer either. As has been the case since Xabi Alonso walked out the door.

- Carroll *is* a good player, but he's the wrong player for us. We don't play to his strengths and for the life of me I can't understand why we paid that amount of money for someone who doesn't even come close to fitting our style.

- 100M spent and still only two world class players. It's mindboggling.

- Straight line football. Bar Suarez we have no one who does things out of the ordinary. Look at the movement of Modric, VDV and Kranjcar yesterday. Even Rooney, Nani and Young in that United team. Players who are happy to move out of position, find space, drag defenders and midfielders out of their comfort zone. We have cunts who run and pass in straight lines. Compare the football played by City's wide men in Silva and Nasri to that of Henderson and Downing. It hurts me thinking about it.

My thoughts on the game:

1. Spurs are clearly a better side than us
2. We've wasted shitloads of cash
3. If Suarez didn't play for us, he'd be the biggest cunt in the league by some considerable margin

Other than that, not much.

Agree with everything there Ryan.

Carroll is becoming a major issue...surely we bought Enrique, Adam and Downing to help get the best out of Carroll. Afterall, they're known for getting crosses into the box. Something Carroll is supposed to thrive on.

To me it was a performance that we're used to seeing from a Liverpool side in the last decade - squares pegs in round holes, over-complicating things, No cohesion, No intelligence, No system in place.

It's only one game i know but it was a truly shocking performance.

[quote author=Ryan link=topic=46917.msg1401613#msg1401613 date=1316391804]
We were battered by a far better and more agressive side. It happens. 6 months ago we ripped Man City apart at home with a similar performance and look at them now.

There are some major concerns for me, which I've highlighted repeatedly on here:

- We have no midfielder capable of controlling a game. I'm not going to rip Adam apart because he's trying hard and he fucked up. He's not good enough to play every week in a central midfield of a team aspiring to compete for league titles, and that's it. I'd stick Gerrard in there but I don't even think that's the answer either. As has been the case since Xabi Alonso walked out the door.

- Carroll *is* a good player, but he's the wrong player for us. We don't play to his strengths and for the life of me I can't understand why we paid that amount of money for someone who doesn't even come close to fitting our style.

- 100M spent and still only two world class players. It's mindboggling.

- Straight line football. Bar Suarez we have no one who does things out of the ordinary. Look at the movement of Modric, VDV and Kranjcar yesterday. Even Rooney, Nani and Young in that United team. Players who are happy to move out of position, find space, drag defenders and midfielders out of their comfort zone. We have cunts who run and pass in straight lines. Compare the football played by City's wide men in Silva and Nasri to that of Henderson and Downing. It hurts me thinking about it.
[/quote]
The last part hits the nail on the head.
Kuyt and Maxi offer clever movement to a certain extent but yesterday our team made the likes of Assou-Ekotto and Kaboul look world class.
Why? because they were never dragged from their comfort zone.
We played all our best football last season when Carroll wasn't on the pitch and this season is fast becoming the same story.

Suarez's gonna do a Torres when Barca comes knocking again soon, after the mediocre season we're so gonna have.

Immunizing myself first to the impending pain.

Adam's sent off came at the time when we started to claw back into the game, from then on it was a steep mountain to climb.

It was a poor performance from the start, but the ref killed the game.

[quote author=the count link=topic=46917.msg1401276#msg1401276 date=1316364857]
-Skrtel is not a right back despite a few decent performances in that position prior to today.
-Coates is a replacement for Agger the papermache man, not Carra.
-Lucas and Adam are not strong enough of a central pairing.
-Suarez will get sent off some game soon
-Carroll is not as bad as some people make out but I am doubtful if he will ever be truly good enough
[/quote]
Oh dear. Not as bad?? ??? WHAT?? Just fucking WHAT??? ???

Fucking hell!

Fucking wake up boy. Please.

[quote author=KopPoNok link=topic=46917.msg1401623#msg1401623 date=1316398044]
Adam's sent off came at the time when we started to claw back into the game, from then on it was a steep mountain to climb.

It was a poor performance from the start, but the ref killed the game.
[/quote]

You cant blame the ref for that tackle by Adam. He really cost us today. We need the new players to start contributing. They look a bit lost.

[quote author=LarryHagman link=topic=46917.msg1401617#msg1401617 date=1316393066]
My thoughts on the game:

3. If Suarez didn't play for us, he'd be the biggest cunt in the league by some considerable margin

[/quote]

Spurs were on song yesterday and we were at sixes and sevens (and the victims of poor refereeing). This is still the same Spurs side that bent over in the first two games. And yeah, ok, we did the same yesterday but our best first team is as good as anything they've got, especially at the back where they're still as short on numbers as they have been. Put Gerrard back in our side, give us Bellamy and we're not that different, and Suarez is better than any of their strikers.

They had a good day yesterday, let's not get carried away though eh? We've incorporated alot of new players, there was always going to be ups and downs, it happens. Eventually we'll see what works and what doesn't and the best XI (more or less) will develop as a result. It takes time. He's got to cut out the shit with playing players out of position though, he's falling into the same trap as Ged and Rafa otherwise.

Strange that some dont realize that 6 new players in the side will hit you in the face from time to time.

[quote author=mark1975 link=topic=46917.msg1401647#msg1401647 date=1316414759]
[quote author=LarryHagman link=topic=46917.msg1401617#msg1401617 date=1316393066]
My thoughts on the game:

[/quote]

Spurs were on song yesterday and we were at sixes and sevens (and the victims of poor refereeing). This is still the same Spurs side that bent over in the first two games. And yeah, ok, we did the same yesterday but our best first team is as good as anything they've got, especially at the back where they're still as short on numbers as they have been. Put Gerrard back in our side, give us Bellamy and we're not that different, and Suarez is better than any of their strikers.

They had a good day yesterday, let's not get carried away though eh? We've incorporated alot of new players, there was always going to be ups and downs, it happens. Eventually we'll see what works and what doesn't and the best XI (more or less) will develop as a result. It takes time. He's got to cut out the shit with playing players out of position though, he's falling into the same trap as Ged and Rafa otherwise.
[/quote]

apart from skrtel at right back covering for the the injured johnson and kelly, who is kenny playing out of position?
would flannigan have fared any better against bale?

anyway, if you watched the city v spurs game, spurs were dominated in the centre of midfield and the likes of bales just couldn't get a kick (to be fair modrich head wasn't in the game and ade wasn't available). we were all over the place in the middle of the park and bale was given the ball time and time to run at skrtel. hindsight is 20/20 but maybe we would have been better going with suarez alone up front and spearing beside lucas, stop spurs' supply line to bale and at least compete in midfield.
we were shambolic from start to finish.

The biggest concern from yesterdays game for me was Kenny's managing. The team he put out to start was a good one but where the players started just didnt work. Downing has been good on the left when ever he has played there but started on the right, who knows who was meant to be on the left to begin with but Suarez was there for a while and even tracked back to help enrique at the start before the first goal. Carrol was left up top by himself and when adam got sent off which killed the game, Kenny for some reason played Carrol on the wings interchanging with Downing. Having Carrol on the wings or in the midfield was pretty much like having two men sent off, instead of having runners in the midfield to help us cope Kenny puts our least mobile option there. Im not looking to much into the performance as it was with a man down against a team playing really well and i dont think Carrol deserves alot of the abuse he's getting as he never shouldve been asked to play on the wings in the first place. Not subbing Skrtel or changing him with carra after he got his first yellow and waiting for so long before putting on bellamy and Kuyt also i think can be questioned. Kenny i think deserves most of the blame for the weekend but i think questioning whether we've spent well or did we bring the right players in is a bit early.

i think our biggest problem at the moment is the adam/lucas partnetship. its not good enuff against the better teams. neither of them are mobile enuff. parker & modric were having a field day even b4 adam got sent off. i think we need to be playing spearing until we get a good def midfielder. a midefield trio of gerrard (wen he is back) spearing and either lucas or adam with 3 upfront is our best option. all imho

[quote author=tiger17 link=topic=46917.msg1401660#msg1401660 date=1316417957]
i think our biggest problem at the moment is the adam/lucas partnetship. its not good enuff against the better teams. neither of them are mobile enuff. parker & modric were having a field day even b4 adam got sent off. i think we need to be playing spearing until we get a good def midfielder. a midefield trio of gerrard (wen he is back) spearing and either lucas or adam with 3 upfront is our best option. all imho
[/quote]

Agreed.

[quote author=dmishra link=topic=46917.msg1401663#msg1401663 date=1316418130]
[quote author=tiger17 link=topic=46917.msg1401660#msg1401660 date=1316417957]
[/quote]

Agreed.
[/quote]

x2

We need a proper DM ... M'Vila or Matuildi are the ones we were most linked with. Never seen either, so really don't know if they fall under the 'proper DM' category.

I wish people will make up their mind as to who should start. Kuyt or Carroll? When one started and not the other, vice versa and we lost both matches!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom