• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Time Wasting

Status
Not open for further replies.

LeTallecWiz

Doos
Honorary Member
Krul pisses me off ... and this is also a problem in footy today (I know I know, we do it too and would have done the exact same thing).

What's the best way to solve it?

A yellow card does nothing - the keeper/player don't care. A result is what's vital at the end of the day.

A yellow and 1 minute extra time? Now we're talking ... Makes time wasting 'stupid' and 'unnecessary'

We could have played for another 40 years and not won that game.

This wouldnt be a thread if we had won today.

Great addition to the thread! Thanks.

Actually, I was talking about this past week with a Chelsea fan ... and we were talking about how to eradicate the phenomenon as it's a far easier 'battle' than diving etc ... Hope that assuages any concern on your part.

THIS THREAD IS NOT ABOUT TODAY'S RESULT. Thanks to GK for keeping it on topic.

It's about time wasting in GENERAL -- forget today.

Krul was taking the piss today though

I don't care about today (he does it in most games I think). It's just 'in general' - do we cure the ailment through macca's way (red card) or mine (yellow + 1 extra minute of added time)?

I think LeTellecWiz has raised a very interesting point in that there's nothing to deal with this effectively. I doubt anything stops it except something outrageous like a red. Today - although the thread's more general than that - a yellow was needed even before half time, but keepers seem happy to take that. I'm not sure refs have much else they can do.

Yes, but you asked what would stop it. That would stop it. Nothing else will, so it has to be tolerated.
I don't think that's the only solution, and nobody would have the bollocks to do that anyway.
How about an indirect free kick from where the goal kick's supposed to have been taken 30 seconds earlier?
Or that the officials actually stop the feckin clock when goal keepers waste time (in today's game he was wasting time from the very start. 20 extra seconds each time, so, what, 10 minutes extra each half?).

Maybe, yes. I doubt refs would have the bollocks to do that, either, but it would need something dramatic to change it.

I don't care about today (he does it in most games I think). It's just 'in general' - do we cure the ailment through macca's way (red card) or mine (yellow + 1 extra minute of added time)?

Now your just going over the top in defending this thread, saying its not about today.

If it has nothing to do with today, then the timing is mental.

Now your just going over the top in defending this thread, saying its not about today.

If it has nothing to do with today, then the timing is mental.

You obviously don't read my posts - which isn't new, but I'll repeat:
Actually, I was talking about this past week with a Chelsea fan ... and we were talking about how to eradicate the phenomenon as it's a far easier 'battle' than diving etc ... Hope that assuages any concern on your part.

I don't even think Krul was that bad today in extra time - the 1st half he was a cunt, but that's to be expected from him.

You'd be entering a minefield, and it would be a new pressure brought onto the referees shoulders, as players would constantly be in the referee's faces as it would be another way to get the opposition reduced to ten men. How long is time-wasting? What if the player is genuinely tired/slightly injured? or didn't hear the whistle as happened to van Persie vs Barcelona a few seasons ago? It'd be great if the clock was stopped but some games could last for hours.

The assistants are in the best position to judge when keepers are genuinely faffing about. They should just raise the flag and as juniormember said award a free kick. A booking and a free kick.

Ball boys would help. If we allow an opposition keeper to stroll over to the throw in line to pick up a ball and stroll back to the opposite side of the 6 yard box before taking a goal kick we invite that sort of behaviour.

Actually, it's pretty simple. If a goalkeeper is wasting time, it should be added back on at the end of the game, the same way they do for goal celebrations and substitutions.

Goalkeepers are supposed to get rid of the ball 7 seconds after they catch it or something. Its never enforced.

Or that the officials actually stop the feckin clock when goal keepers waste time (in today's game he was wasting time from the very start. 20 extra seconds each time, so, what, 10 minutes extra each half?).

This and retrospectively penalize the club financially for going over the scheduled time, like its done in Cricket. That will make clubs clean this shit up internally, as thats the only way.

But saying that we applaud our players for wasting time when its right for us. From a neutral point of view, it should be eradicated from the game.....but football decisions arent made like that. This wont change for another 10 years...

It was also weird to see a foul throw given - probably because at school we had a sports master who was so obsessed with foul throws we all ended up too terrified to throw the ball at all, I always notice these things and it's very rare they get penalised. The same goes for the keeper releasing the ball just a fraction beyond his area - was Reina at Bolton the last time that was penalised? Refs and their assistants just seem to keep these old rules back for the odd day when they feel nostalgic.

The answer is a mixture of things:

1. Take the time-keeping away from the ref.
2. Add sensible time for subs - 30 secs per sub? Do me a favour, by the time they have walked up with the board, the player realises its him, then pulls his socks down, hands his gloves to another player (wtf!) and ambles off before play is restarted is always a minute. But its easier, just get the official timekeeper to stop the clock and restart on the refs whistle.
3. Tell the players they have a time limit on goal kicks and the like and enforce it. In American football they have a play clock. You infringe, you're penalised. Get a play clock for goal kicks and if there is an infringement, then the oppo gets a corner or an indirect free-kick in the box on every occasion. If you infringe the time clock twice as an individual, then its a booking and then a third time is a sending off. There needs to be a very tangible disincentive to time wasting.

I thought they removed that rule?
From wikianswers:
Once the goal keeper has taken possession of the ball with his hands they have 6 seconds to release the ball back into play. The referee, in general, will not be counting and will verbally warn the goal keeper before taking action. If it continues, then play will be stopped and an indirect free kick will be awarded to the opponents at the location of the infraction.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom