• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Toni Silva on loan to Northampton Town

Status
Not open for further replies.
Northampton manager Aidy Boothroyd has praised new signing Toni Silva after their the 1-0 victory over AFC Wimbledon.

The Liverpool youngster came off the bench to set up Luke Guttridge's late winner.

Guttridge grabbed the 80th-minute goal as bottom club Northampton picked up only their second home victory of the season. Furthermore, it was enough for the Cobblers to secure their first win in 14 outings.

"I've got good contacts at Liverpool and when Toni came on he showed some Premier League quality," said Boothroyd. "He's a very good prospect, he can dribble past players and also score goals. Hopefully, he can help us get out of this position and we can help his career.

"But it wasn't just about one player. Clarke Carlisle and Luke Guttridge were outstanding but it was about the whole club, because if you walked around this place on a daily basis you would see how positive it is here.

"But it's all about getting points and now and we need to get on to the 30-point mark. We're on an upward curve and some of those teams above us are on a downward curve."

[quote author=Buddha link=topic=48690.msg1483182#msg1483182 date=1329335844]
I'm surprised he's ended up at such a lowly level on loan. To my mind, he's one player who's made good progress of late. He's always appeared to be blessed with real natural flair but no brains but he's really started to have a more intelligent impact on games at reserve (though mainly as a sub). I'd started to have hopes he might prove to be a real talent and potential first teamer for the future (although still thinking he might be more of an impact player).

I'd have hoped that he might have got a Championship, or at worst, a league one loan.

Still, perhaps he'll rip it up there (he should do) and move up a level quickly.
[/quote]

Perhaps they want him to get some matches under his belt in the next few weeks :-X

regards

(Sorry can't change thread title)

Just news relating to Toni Silva, not a new loan deal.

195990214.jpg

AIDY BOOTHROYD has revealed he still wants to bring a right-winger to Sixfields but has confirmed the club will not attempt to re-sign Liverpool wide man Toni Silva.

Cobblers boss Boothroyd praised the Portuguese forward, who scored a vital goal in a precious 1-0 win at Dagenham & Redbridge in March, for the role he played in helping keep Town in the Football League last season.

The club are resigned to losing Michael Jacobs this summer, with the 20-year-old showing no intention of signing the contract he has been offered to extend his time at Northampton and a number of clubs pursuing the midfielder.

Alex Nicholls has been brought in from Walsall to play primarily as a striker, although he can operate on either wing, as can Jake Robinson, who has another year left on his deal at Sixfields.

Boothroyd, however, still wants to make another addition to increase his options in the final third.

“I don’t think we’ll go back for Toni Silva,” he said. “I’m really grateful to him for and for his contribution in getting us out of trouble last season but I don’t think that’s going to be an option we follow up on.

And he added: “He (Alex Nicholls) has played a lot of his games up front or on the left-hand side. He can play on the right and I want us to have a more fluid and flexible front line.

“It will help if we have a number of players who can play in a number of different positions.”

Boothroyd’s ultimate aim is to have his entire squad under wraps for the start of pre-season on July 2, but accepts such a target is an ambitious one.

“We don’t know where we are with Michael Jacobs, we’ve not got a recognised outside-right and so there’s definitely still some work to do,” he said.

“Depending on what happens with our other players, it’s a difficult one to balance but I’m ready with a few players and I’m waiting on a few players to come back to me.

“I want to whittle that down so that when the squad comes back we’ve got a core of players and some that are in the system as well.

“That’s not always the case, it will depend on what is available.”

I hope the club sticks by him for another season. He's a bit wayward at times but he's got good pace and guile and has an unpredictability about him that's quite refreshing these days.

I've never been that impressed by him. He's very one footed and doesn't seem to quite be in control of what he's doing at times.

Give him another season in the reserves by all means but I'd be surprised if we make much out of him.

I've always seen him as a Babel Mk II. From the sublime to the ridiculous, and unfortunately, the latter comes more often.

He reminds me of Ronnie Rosenthal. At least a useful impact player. I do wonder why players these days can't practice shooting with either foot - it's not hard to do.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom