• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Top tier

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fabio

Former mod, consistent c***
Honorary Member
Creme De la creme

The dog bollocks

The cats pyjamas

The bees knees

The fucking boss

Tell me your top 5 plays EVAH!

Ideally in the flesh (or at least live on tv) , because otherwise you'll be accused of YouTube based japes. So for me, I've never seen Pele bar on highlight reels, same for Maradona, best, Beckenbauer etc. So mine are:

Zidane
Messi
Figo
Ronaldo
CR7

Probably because I love Figo I've bumped him, but by fuck he was exquisite

Maradona
Zidane
Messi
Totti
Blag Ronaldo

Very hard.
The real Ronaldo, Maldini and Gerrard close.

How old are you @Holle? I thought you were in your early 30s
The Pele has thrown me

How old are you @Holle? I thought you were in your early 30s
The Pele has thrown me

Oh fuck.

Well, it could be that I saw him playing for NY Cosmos sitting on my father's lap. Does that count?

Otherwise, I replace Pele with Van Basten.

* To answer your question, I'm 36 BTW.

Oh fuck.

Well, it could be that I saw him playing for NY Cosmos sitting on my father's lap. Does that count?

Otherwise, I replace Pele with Van Basten.

* To answer your question, I'm 36 BTW.
Ha! If you saw him then that's good enough for me

My top 5 live would be:
Gerrard - Lots of times
Messi - Liverpool 0 - Barcelona 1
Totti - Italy 0 - Denmark 0 Euro 2004
Ronaldinho - Liverpool 0 - Barcelona 1
Aimar - Liverpool 0 - Valencia 2

Raul, Iniesta, Del Piero, Torres, Zola, Owen and a few others would be up there too.

I'll pick from the '80s and '90s, the period when I enjoyed football the most:

-- Zoff
-- Baresi
-- Maradona
-- Baggio
-- Van Basten

It was the golden age of football for me. So many great talents at that time. I wouldn't know who to kick out of that list to accommodate Messi, C. Ronaldo, Ronaldo, Zidane, etc. Then there are guys in that period who are unlucky to miss out: Dasayev, Scifo, Hagi, Stoichkov, Donadoni, Litbarski, Falcao, Alemao, etc. the list goes on and on.

Gutted that I never got to see Zidane in the flesh.
Even moreso that Misred went to the champions league final in Glasgow with her work and saw him score the best champions league final goal ever.

Great call on Baresi Studup, he's the only central defender I'd put ahead of Hansen.

Messi
Maradona
Baresi
Dalglish
Schmeichel

I think Gerrard must be one of the most underrated players of his generation.
Even his OWN fans put Zambrotta, Suarez and Bendtner ahead of him.

Maybe its because hes cracking on and his powers are waning but 2004 - 2009 there was no one better in the world for me.
Hes not a forward, hes not all jinky and trixy but hes a phenomenon.
You guys are so wrong its not true.

I never saw Gerrard in the flesh though Andy - that's why I put Bendtner (at that League Cup game!)

I saw Bares, Tassotti, Billy Costacorta & Maldini too ... How did I miss Maldini! For fuck's sake.

That was the best back four I've ever seen - life or on TV - and Costacorta and Tassotti were so underrated it was unreal.

Oh and ENZO SCIFO! What a shout that is. Great name (if you understand Italian!)

I never saw Gerrard in the flesh though Andy - that's why I put Bendtner (at that League Cup game!)

I saw Bares, Tassotti, Billy Costacorta & Maldini too ... How did I miss Maldini! For fuck's sake.

That was the best back four I've ever seen - life or on TV - and Costacorta and Tassotti were so underrated it was unreal.

Oh and ENZO SCIFO! What a shout that is. Great name (if you understand Italian!)
Scifo is a rubbish shout LTW even though I loved watching him. You'd HAVE TO put Mattheus, Platini, Souness, Hagi, Iniesta, Gullit, Gerrard, Scholes, etc, etc, etc in any list of all time great midfielders before Scifo got a look-in.

Dalglish always gets missed off these lists... I mean he was the best player in a side that won three European Cups. Think about that for a minute. And yet history seems to forget him.

My theory is that it's coz he's Scottish, so he didn't get the Zidane / Maradona opportunity to showboat against some African shite at the World Cup. If he was French he'd be top of all them world polls.

Scifo is a rubbish shout LTW even though I loved watching him. You'd HAVE TO put Mattheus, Platini, Souness, Hagi, Iniesta, Gullit, Gerrard, Scholes, etc, etc, etc in any list of all time great midfielders before Scifo got a look-in.

Studup mentioned him ... he was a very good player in the 80s ...

Dalglish always gets missed off these lists... I mean he was the best player in a side that won three European Cups. Think about that for a minute. And yet history seems to forget him.

My theory is that it's coz he's Scottish, so he didn't get the Zidane / Maradona opportunity to showboat against some African shite at the World Cup. If he was French he'd be top of all them world polls.

TRUTH

What about Ian Rush?? Robbie Fowler??

My top 5 would be:

Messi
Zidane
Fat Ronaldo
Gerrard
Fowler

Some people may call me biased for putting Fowler over the likes of CR7 and Figo etc. But the joy I had watching him play was too hard for me to give up. I was lucky enough to be there when he scored that stunning brace at the old toilet... good times! I'm 24 so I pretty much grew up watching him. Would've loved to have seen Van Basten, Maradona and Pele etc play only seen videos, DVD's and youtube vids of them.

Studup mentioned him ... he was a very good player in the 80s ...
I know he wasn't your suggestion but you did say it was a "good shout" which is why I replied to your post. He was a very good player in his day but, as I mentioned, he shouldn't be listed in any all-time top 5.

Regarding Woland's point about Dalglish, he ALWAYS makes it into my top 10 list and there's a strong case for him to take Van Basten's place in my list, so...............

I know he wasn't your suggestion but you did say it was a "good shout" which is why I replied to your post. He was a very good player in his day but, as I mentioned, he shouldn't be listed in any all-time top 5.

Regarding Woland's point about Dalglish, he ALWAYS makes it into my top 10 list and there's a strong case for him to take Van Basten's place in my list, so...............

I wasn't saying top 5 ... just a good shout as one of those players of the 80s (which is what studup was mentioning).

As for Van Basten ... he was the most natural, pure finisher I've ever seen ... he was just a special player and if he hadn't fucked up his ankle on a stupid, unnecessary tackle in Holland, he'd have probably gone down as even a greater player than he's already gone down as.

Dalglish is in my top 10 easy.
If im totally honest though my earliest memories of actually understanding the game and not just being a Liverpool fan were from about 86 onwards.
I have fond memories from about 80 onwards but only of the game and loving all our players.
I was Dalglish in the park, or Rush or Hansen or Souness.
Maradona was the first player I remember seeing who blew me away on his own.
Well him and Paolo Rossi.

I'm just going with ones I've seen in the flesh, in no particular order :

Non LFC players:
The real Ronaldo
Thierry Henry
Roy Keane
Didier Drogba
Dennis Bergkamp

LFC Players
Rush
Barnes
Gerrard