• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Top tier

Status
Not open for further replies.
I picked my five based on the performance of them on the night / day I saw them.
Gerrard is an amazing player but for whatever reason, when I watched him play it wasn't one of his best games.
Clearly there are better players out there than Zambrotta & Torres but when I sat and watched them I was blown away at how good they were.

I'm just going with ones I've seen in the flesh, in no particular order :

Non LFC players:
The real Ronaldo
Thierry Henry
Roy Keane
Didier Drogba
Dennis Bergkamp

LFC Players
Rush
Barnes
Gerrard
Fowler
Torres

and an honourable mention for Xabi.

You mixed up Robbie and Roy, obv.

Best performances ive seen live.
Pennant v Sunderland
Arbeloa v Barcelona
Xabi v Madrid
Aimar v Us
Gerrard vs Everyone

Oh near impossible to pick a Top 5 .. there will always be at least 10 more that could easily make it depending on my current mood !

However, most of those on others lists I didn't enjoy watching because I always wanted them to fail, badly, (think CR, Best etc).

Those that I always love(d) watching (in no particular order) because something spectacular may happen in the blink of an eye :

Cruyf
Gerrard
Zidane
Suarez
Barnes

... and a hundred more.

Players in my time, in no particular order, that I would consider top tier & not mentioned

Zico
Shilton
Rummenigge
Schmeichel
Desailly
Weah

Roberto Baggio not far from it either. And Del Piero too perhaps? Romario? Stoichkov? Platini? Zoff?

Players in my time, in no particular order, that I would consider top tier & not mentioned

Zico
Shilton
Rummenigge
Schmeichel
Desailly
Weah

I can't believe there were 4 players starting with a Z before Zico was mentioned.

Having seen both Best and Pele play live, I have to put them at 1 and 2 respectively (definitely in that order BTW). Then Maradona, Messi and the King.

Jari Olavi Litmanen had an international career that ran from 1989 to 2010, making him the only footballer to play an international in four different decades.[1]

Having seen both Best and Pele play live, I have to put them at 1 and 2 respectively (definitely in that order BTW). Then Maradona, Messi and the King.

JJ so you're saying Best is the best player you've ever seen? I've never seen him live but did watch a good sky documentary on him a month or so back and he looked awesome.

Best players I've seen with my own two eyes live:
C. Ronaldo
Gerrard
Fowler
Suarez
Alonso

Mors: yes, Manc though he was, Best was the greatest footballer I've ever clapped eyes on in half a century, bar none. He's the only player I've ever seen in all that time who could do absolutely everything - as well as the skilful stuff, at which Best was every bit as good as any of the other big names, he also covered the hard yards and won the ball himself when it wasn't coming to him. His career wasn't as long as it should have been, because he couldn't hold it together off the pitch, but I don't think that matters a hoot in this context. To me it's very simple - the Greatest Ever has to be the footballer who could do the greatest range of things at the highest level. By that criterion no-one can match George Best.

My all time team seen live:

Ray Clemence
Cafu
Hansen
Baresi
Maldini
Messi
Gerrard
Zidane
Barnes
Dalglish
Ronaldo - the fat one

Manager - Sir Bob

A little bit biased but I'd back them to beat anyone.

Gerrard
Bergkamp
Rivaldo
Xavi
Roy Keane

*I've seen Best play live, but he was old, fat and shit

so live i guess i'd go with -

batistuta
messi
ronaldinho
zidane
maldini

actually though in terms of really impressing me on the day i'd have to say Cannavaro and Nestor Sensini .

best ever as far as i'm concerned - michael laudrup !

Anyone remember Giuseppe (Beppe) Signori for Lazio? Amazing striker. I remember watching weekly Serie A highlights back then, and he'd be banging them in for fun. Got nailed for match-fixing a couple of years ago though. Still, what a scary striker - 188 goals in the Serie A. Watch his penalties in the clip below. Zero run-up and bang, top corner, bottom corner, clip, etc.

View: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6f-I-KcSwg

a few of the players mentioned here are playing in this real madrid - juve friendly on now . I reckon zidane, Figo , Nedved , redondo and Paolo montero could still do a job for us now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom