1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
    Dismiss Notice
Why Not Register?

It only takes a few minutes to register on SixCrazyMinutes

Click Here

Transfer rumours

Discussion in 'The Football Forum' started by rurikbird, Feb 17, 2019.

1. rurikbird

rurikbird Part of the Furniture Honorary Member

I think it's good to start this thread with Havertz, who is probably our biggest potential summer signing. Copied from the locked January thread:

=============
    Somehow this slipped under the radar. It's on, and like I suspected, has been on for a while.
    As of today, 19-year-old Havertz has started every single league game for Leverkusen (almost all in the #10 role – so rare for a young player to be given such responsibility!) and has 8 goals and 3 assists in the league and 3 and 3 in Europa League. According to Transfermarkt, his market value is the 3rd highest in the Bundesliga (behind only Lewandowski and Jadon Sancho), 7th among all attacking midfielders in the world and #1 in the world among players of his age group. Stylistically he most reminds me of De Bruyne.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2019
  2. RedStar

RedStar Well-Known Member

If we were unable to do a deal for him when he was 17 and reasonably unknown ,what makes it likely that we can persuade him to join now that hes a sought after player whose fee will be somewhere above €60m now that Bayern and Arsenal have expressed an interest.

3. Jimbob

Jimbob Active Member

I don't think we would even go for him at that price anyway. I mean he's good, but he's not THAT good. I think Rabiot on a free is more likely in the summer. Not the same type of player I know...and would command a massive signing on fee and huge wages, plus his mum/agent is a mentalist. Just have a feeling he's coming....massive Liverpool fan...etc etc.

4. rurikbird

rurikbird Part of the Furniture Honorary Member

Don't forget we were ready to buy Fekir for similar money last season already; if we don't go back for him (which doesn't look likely at the moment), the need to fill this position and the money will still be there. But what am I saying, how can we compete with the mighty Arsenal?

As for persuading the player, it's a simple idea: top Euro players are primarily concerned with their development trajectory and playing time; they know that if they develop well the money will come and often their hometown club provides excellent opportunity for growth and improvement. This is the reason Brandt opted to stay in Leverkusen rather than come here or to Munich or why Pulisic stayed at Dortmund as long as he did. Havertz definitely made the right decision staying put at 17.

However, now that he is about to turn 20 and will have 3 full seasons of Bundesliga football under his belt by the summer, he will probably fancy himself to challenge for a starting position in a big team. And out of all the big teams, we actually have more of an opening at #10, since we still didn't totally replace Coutinho. This is why I think Havertz will be easier to integrate than, say, Pulisic; he would not be necessarily competing with the front 3 but instead supplementing them from midfield (although he can also fill in on the wing if needed). It's exciting to think how Mo's and Sadio's games will benefit from playing alongside an elite playmaker.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2019
    eecheerow likes this.
  5. The Nomad

The Nomad Well-Known Member

Fully expect Munich to buy him.

6. doctor_mac

doctor_mac My cowboy name is Garland Justice Moderator

Rurik has claws. Meow.

rurikbird likes this.
  7. Brizzle

Brizzle Well-Known Member

I’m all aboard the Havertz train

8. Fabio

Fabio Former mod, consistent c*** Honorary Member

I am completely on board with signing him

Just not convinced it's plausible

Ill consistently circle the campground, umming and ahhing

9. hmmmmm1

hmmmmm1 Very Active Member

Klopps record on convincing German players to come isn’t great. Courted both goetz and goretzka. Most German players will end up at Bayern.

10. Kay Age El

Kay Age El Well-Known Member

BREAKING: We are still not linked with Dolberg..

11. Oncy

Oncy Guest

Im really loathe to be into signing any player I never heard of at the start of this season.
    I cant think of many times it works.
    Im aware thats a daft criteria, but id sooner concentrate on established players now to improve this squad overnight. We are close to being a championship side, im not convinced rolling the dice on someone who has had 10 or 20 games total is the right way to go.

12. mark1975

mark1975 Moderator Moderator

Who would we get who is established though? Aside from middling players in the Premiership who are usually deemed a semi-risk (AOC, Shaqiri) we're not going to be signing many players who are already on most people radars, we never do. I know there are a few exceptions to the rule, like Van Dyke, but I had reservations about pretty much everyone from this lot: Mane, AOC, Robertson, Shaqiri, Lovren, Gini, Lallana. And besides English based players, I knew about as much about Keita, Fabinho and Allison as I do about this lad.

13. mark1975

Klopp's transfer record is largely excellent, I'd trust him to get his money back on the 5% that don't work out and the other 95% are usually at the very least going to do a decent squad job.

14. Oncy

Oncy Guest

Off the top of my head
    Dolberg, Suso, Goretzka, Asensio, Isqo, Werner.....
    Im not saying they are cheap or would come but thats the kind of players that would lift us on again I think.
    And i dont watch a lot of football anymore so there is probably a lot of players who would.

15. mark1975

Yeah I'd take any of them, but we see those sort of links every year and usually end up with someone I've barely heard of, let alone seen. Which is fine with me when we have someone trustworthy in charge. I've loved seeing the likes of Coutinho, Hyypia, Robertson and Firmino become what they are, I'd not seen enough of any of them before they signed and can honestly say I had no preconceived expectation of any of them. It's great when it works out and with Klopp, it usually does.

16. Oncy

Oncy Guest

Ive literally never seen or heard of this guy until Ruri said his name yesterday like so im not saying he is shit or wouldnt be amazing. I am not in any way qualified to.

But since about 2000 there has been a tendancy to trott out the names of half a dozen teenagers/youths each season who have had an admirable first crack at the whip, and then list those as the players we should get.

There arent a lot of Mbappes out there sadly. Most of them are Ihenaichos (sp)

Id sooner (just my own personal) go for a player who has a couple of seasons in a tough league under their belt.

Ones we have discussed at length in the past that we missed out on include
    Aguero
    Eriksen
    Silva
    Greizmann
    Etc
    Already played top flight and were trending upwards when their clubs signed them.

Like I said. I know fuck all about this kid. Could be Ronaldo mk2
    Probably more Quaresma mk 2

mark1975 likes this.
  17. Fabio

Fabio Former mod, consistent c*** Honorary Member

To be fair, he was decent last season too. He's not a flash in the pan kind of player. He's been slowly brought through and now looks pretty special

18. mark1975

Fair enough, but for that list, we could create one of our own players who I bet fans of other clubs would love to have signed too. If we could have signed anyone in the Premiership, I wish we'd signed De Bruyne, he's brilliant. You win some you lose some, I'm content in the knowledge that if we don't bring in a player who screams out "next level", we'll sign one who soon will be.

19. Squiggles

Squiggles Very Well-Known Member

This is his third season and he's played 70 plus games in the Bundisliga, becoming the fastest young player to reach 50 games. I haven't heard of him either, but he doesn't sound like a wild punt like Markovic. By the end of the season he would have had more appearances than Sterling had for us.

rurikbird likes this.
  20. The Nomad

The Nomad Well-Known Member

We tried to get him two summer's ago (2017). But Leverkusen told us to get fucked, and he wasn't for sale at any price.

After that, he kinda slipped off my radar, and it was a surprise to see him linked again.

Never seen him play mind.