• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Transfer rumours

Status
Not open for further replies.

rurikbird

Part of the Furniture
Honorary Member
I think it's good to start this thread with Havertz, who is probably our biggest potential summer signing. Copied from the locked January thread:

=============
Somehow this slipped under the radar. It's on, and like I suspected, has been on for a while.
EXCLUSIVE: Bundesliga Wonderkid Visits Melwood Ahead Of Potential Move
November 9th 2017​
• by Sam McGuire
Liverpool rolled out the red carpet for Kai Havertz when the German midfielder visited Melwood in October ahead of a potential move, Football Whispers understands. Jürgen Klopp, Steven Gerrard and Philippe Coutinho were all in attendance to greet Havertz and his agent as the club went on the charm offensive to convince the youngster, tipped to be the ‘new Mesut Özil’, that Liverpool was the best place for him to develop.
Back in June, Football Whispers exclusively revealed the Reds were interested in Bayer Leverkusen duo Havertz and Benjamin Henrichs. Havertz signed a new five-year deal at the BayArena in July but it appears as though this was more to protect his value after the Bundesliga side granted him permission to visit Merseyside.
The 18-year-old has been in fine form this season, assisting three goals in just five starts as well as netting four times for Germany’s Under-19s in a match at with Liverpool scouts in attendance.​
Havertz has been compared to German legend Michael Ballack and, while there are some similarities to the former Chelsea midfielder, his game has shades of Marco Reus and Mario Götze, two players Klopp help develop. Despite the array of talent in their academy, the Reds are said to be going on a youthful recruitment drive. Along with Havertz, Liverpool are rumoured to be interested in 17-year-old Fortuna Sittard captan Per Schurrs. The centre-back had a trial with the club earlier this year and Liverpool remain interested in bringing him to Merseyside. The duo undoubtedly have the potential to become world class players down the line and bringing them to Anfield would be shrewd recruitment on the part of the club, if deals can be completed.​
Liverpool in touch with long-term target’s agent, €80m asking price, player met Klopp in 2017
By Naveen Ullal​
12th December 2018​
Kai Havertz was promoted to Bayer Leverkusen’s first team in October 2016 and a year later, he emerged as a target for Liverpool.The Reds were keen on adding the 19-year-old to their squad earlier in January after Football Whispers’ November 2017 report claimed the attacking midfielder made a trip to Melwood, where he was greeted by Jurgen Klopp, Steven Gerrard and Philippe Coutinho.​
Fast forward to December 2018 and Sport Bild now claims the Reds are still chasing him and their scouts have watched him in action for the Bundesliga club for several months. In addition to this, the Merseyside club are also in contact with the player’s agent.​
When the teenager signed a new five-year deal last summer, Havertz made it clear that he would leave the German club if they fail to qualify for the continental competition and the report mentions Leverkusen are demanding €80m to sanction the sale of the young star.
Liverpool manager Jurgen Klopp has helped his current side sign Joel Matip, Ragnar Klavan and Naby Keita from Bundesliga clubs in the past.​
Havertz has showcased his abilities after scoring seven goals and registering six assists in all competitions this season. It should be seen whether Klopp’s German connections coupled with Liverpool’s long-term interest can help them beat the competition from other clubs to sign the starlet.​
As of today, 19-year-old Havertz has started every single league game for Leverkusen (almost all in the #10 role – so rare for a young player to be given such responsibility!) and has 8 goals and 3 assists in the league and 3 and 3 in Europa League. According to Transfermarkt, his market value is the 3rd highest in the Bundesliga (behind only Lewandowski and Jadon Sancho), 7th among all attacking midfielders in the world and #1 in the world among players of his age group. Stylistically he most reminds me of De Bruyne.

Last edited:
If we were unable to do a deal for him when he was 17 and reasonably unknown ,what makes it likely that we can persuade him to join now that hes a sought after player whose fee will be somewhere above €60m now that Bayern and Arsenal have expressed an interest.

I don't think we would even go for him at that price anyway. I mean he's good, but he's not THAT good. I think Rabiot on a free is more likely in the summer. Not the same type of player I know...and would command a massive signing on fee and huge wages, plus his mum/agent is a mentalist. Just have a feeling he's coming....massive Liverpool fan...etc etc.

If we were unable to do a deal for him when he was 17 and reasonably unknown ,what makes it likely that we can persuade him to join now that hes a sought after player whose fee will be somewhere above €60m now that Bayern and Arsenal have expressed an interest.

Don't forget we were ready to buy Fekir for similar money last season already; if we don't go back for him (which doesn't look likely at the moment), the need to fill this position and the money will still be there. But what am I saying, how can we compete with the mighty Arsenal?

As for persuading the player, it's a simple idea: top Euro players are primarily concerned with their development trajectory and playing time; they know that if they develop well the money will come and often their hometown club provides excellent opportunity for growth and improvement. This is the reason Brandt opted to stay in Leverkusen rather than come here or to Munich or why Pulisic stayed at Dortmund as long as he did. Havertz definitely made the right decision staying put at 17.

However, now that he is about to turn 20 and will have 3 full seasons of Bundesliga football under his belt by the summer, he will probably fancy himself to challenge for a starting position in a big team. And out of all the big teams, we actually have more of an opening at #10, since we still didn't totally replace Coutinho. This is why I think Havertz will be easier to integrate than, say, Pulisic; he would not be necessarily competing with the front 3 but instead supplementing them from midfield (although he can also fill in on the wing if needed). It's exciting to think how Mo's and Sadio's games will benefit from playing alongside an elite playmaker.

Last edited:
I am completely on board with signing him

Just not convinced it's plausible

Ill consistently circle the campground, umming and ahhing

Klopps record on convincing German players to come isn’t great. Courted both goetz and goretzka. Most German players will end up at Bayern.

I think it's good to start this thread with Havertz, who is probably our biggest potential summer signing. Copied from the locked January thread:

=============
Somehow this slipped under the radar. It's on, and like I suspected, has been on for a while.

As of today, 19-year-old Havertz has started every single league game for Leverkusen (almost all in the #10 role – so rare for a young player to be given such responsibility!) and has 8 goals and 3 assists in the league and 3 and 3 in Europa League. According to Transfermarkt, his market value is the 3rd highest in the Bundesliga (behind only Lewandowski and Jadon Sancho), 7th among all attacking midfielders in the world and #1 in the world among players of his age group. Stylistically he most reminds me of De Bruyne.

Im really loathe to be into signing any player I never heard of at the start of this season.
I cant think of many times it works.
Im aware thats a daft criteria, but id sooner concentrate on established players now to improve this squad overnight. We are close to being a championship side, im not convinced rolling the dice on someone who has had 10 or 20 games total is the right way to go.

Im really loathe to be into signing any player I never heard of at the start of this season.
Im aware thats a daft criteria, but id sooner concentrate on established players now to improve this squad overnight. We are close to being a championship side, im not convinced rolling the dice on someone who has had 10 or 20 games total is the right way to go.

Who would we get who is established though? Aside from middling players in the Premiership who are usually deemed a semi-risk (AOC, Shaqiri) we're not going to be signing many players who are already on most people radars, we never do. I know there are a few exceptions to the rule, like Van Dyke, but I had reservations about pretty much everyone from this lot: Mane, AOC, Robertson, Shaqiri, Lovren, Gini, Lallana. And besides English based players, I knew about as much about Keita, Fabinho and Allison as I do about this lad.

Klopp's transfer record is largely excellent, I'd trust him to get his money back on the 5% that don't work out and the other 95% are usually at the very least going to do a decent squad job.

Who would we get who is established though? Aside from middling players in the Premiership who are usually deemed a semi-risk (AOC, Shaqiri) we're not going to be signing many players who are already on most people radars, we never do. I know there are a few exceptions to the rule, like Van Dyke, but I had reservations about pretty much everyone from this lot: Mane, AOC, Robertson, Shaqiri, Lovren, Gini, Lallana. And besides English based players, I knew about as much about Keita, Fabinho and Allison as I do about this lad.
Off the top of my head
Dolberg, Suso, Goretzka, Asensio, Isqo, Werner.....
Im not saying they are cheap or would come but thats the kind of players that would lift us on again I think.
And i dont watch a lot of football anymore so there is probably a lot of players who would.

Off the top of my head
Dolberg, Suso, Goretzka, Asensio, Isqo, Werner.....
Im not saying they are cheap or would come but thats the kind of players that would lift us on again I think.
And i dont watch a lot of football anymore so there is probably a lot of players who would.

Yeah I'd take any of them, but we see those sort of links every year and usually end up with someone I've barely heard of, let alone seen. Which is fine with me when we have someone trustworthy in charge. I've loved seeing the likes of Coutinho, Hyypia, Robertson and Firmino become what they are, I'd not seen enough of any of them before they signed and can honestly say I had no preconceived expectation of any of them. It's great when it works out and with Klopp, it usually does.

Ive literally never seen or heard of this guy until Ruri said his name yesterday like so im not saying he is shit or wouldnt be amazing. I am not in any way qualified to.

But since about 2000 there has been a tendancy to trott out the names of half a dozen teenagers/youths each season who have had an admirable first crack at the whip, and then list those as the players we should get.

There arent a lot of Mbappes out there sadly. Most of them are Ihenaichos (sp)

Id sooner (just my own personal) go for a player who has a couple of seasons in a tough league under their belt.

Ones we have discussed at length in the past that we missed out on include
Aguero
Eriksen
Silva
Greizmann
Etc
Already played top flight and were trending upwards when their clubs signed them.

Like I said. I know fuck all about this kid. Could be Ronaldo mk2
Probably more Quaresma mk 2

To be fair, he was decent last season too. He's not a flash in the pan kind of player. He's been slowly brought through and now looks pretty special

Ive literally never seen or heard of this guy until Ruri said his name yesterday like so im not saying he is shit or wouldnt be amazing. I am not in any way qualified to.

But since about 2000 there has been a tendancy to trott out the names of half a dozen teenagers/youths each season who have had an admirable first crack at the whip, and then list those as the players we should get.

There arent a lot of Mbappes out there sadly. Most of them are Ihenaichos (sp)

Id sooner (just my own personal) go for a player who has a couple of seasons in a tough league under their belt.

Ones we have discussed at length in the past that we missed out on include
Aguero
Eriksen
Silva
Greizmann
Etc
Already played top flight and were trending upwards when their clubs signed them.

Like I said. I know fuck all about this kid. Could be Ronaldo mk2
Probably more Quaresma mk 2

Fair enough, but for that list, we could create one of our own players who I bet fans of other clubs would love to have signed too. If we could have signed anyone in the Premiership, I wish we'd signed De Bruyne, he's brilliant. You win some you lose some, I'm content in the knowledge that if we don't bring in a player who screams out "next level", we'll sign one who soon will be.

This is his third season and he's played 70 plus games in the Bundisliga, becoming the fastest young player to reach 50 games. I haven't heard of him either, but he doesn't sound like a wild punt like Markovic. By the end of the season he would have had more appearances than Sterling had for us.

We tried to get him two summer's ago (2017). But Leverkusen told us to get fucked, and he wasn't for sale at any price.

After that, he kinda slipped off my radar, and it was a surprise to see him linked again.

Never seen him play mind.

Speaking of Leverkusen, what about Leon Bailey? Is he still on an upward trajectory?

I think we need another pacey forward / wide player.

This is his third season and he's played 70 plus games in the Bundisliga, becoming the fastest young player to reach 50 games. I haven't heard of him either, but he doesn't sound like a wild punt like Markovic. By the end of the season he would have had more appearances than Sterling had for us.
Fair enough. Lets camp down bitches.

Fair enough. Lets camp down bitches.

We're with you bruv

Basic+Training+1.jpg

Speaking of Leverkusen, what about Leon Bailey? Is he still on an upward trajectory?

I think we need another pacey forward / wide player.

He completely stalled in his development under the previous manager Herlich – showing lack of consistency and poor decision-making, but also not being helped by being shuffled around in different positions. Now with Peter Bosz appointed for the 2nd half of the season, he is starting to recover his form. Scored the winning goal today, his 2nd in 3 games. But overall a poor season so far.

I agree that we need someone who can play in the front 3, but it's always difficult because our front 3 don't miss many games and nobody good wants to come and sit on the bench. For this reason, I think it will be hard to convince Werner to come here.

Last edited:

Exactly, Havertz beat Timo Werner's record to become the youngest player in Bundesliga history to reach 50 games. This season he started all 21 games Bayer played in the league and is almost never subbed. I saw a crazy stat somewhere that he either scored or assisted in more than a third of all goals Bayer scored since his debut. He is their most important player at 19 and one of those players that you can just tell from the early age they will be special – mature way beyond his years and his game has pretty much no weaknesses. You can talk about passing and tactical nous, but even on pure athleticism, he has clocked the 2nd-fastest speed in Germany this season and won something like 86% of aerial duels (he's going for a lot of them too, not a small sample) – how many #10's in the world can say that?

I've been following and reporting to you guys about the likes of Sane, Brandt and Pulisic in recent years, but Havertz is arguably the biggest talent of them all – everyone who follows German football will tell you he's going to have a big future in the game. Another goal today, BTW.

Last edited:
This is killing me. There's only one outcome whenever Rurik ever rates this highly:

(1) He turns out to be world class; and
(2)...signs for another team.....

I agree that we need someone who can play in the front 3, but it's always difficult because our front 3 don't miss many games and nobody good wants to come and sit on the bench. For this reason, I think it will be hard to convince Werner to come here.

Yup. We're not a team that guarantees trophies, we don't pay obscene money and we're not one of the premier glamour teams like Real Madrid. Our offering relies on game time and a path to stardom.

It is a problem we need to overcome though. We can't continue with the sort of options we have at the moment. It cost us last year and it could do so again this year.

The front three will need to adapt to being rotated (or dropped during those rough patches). We play them into the ground as things stand, which doesn't do anyone any favours.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom