• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Transfer rumours

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is killing me. There's only one outcome whenever Rurik ever rates this highly:

(1) He turns out to be world class; and
(2)...signs for another team.....

That’s 2 outcomes....

Is one outcome. He's going to be a world beater who plays for an oil -funded team
Well if he’s good and goes elsewhere, let’s hope he goes down the same route as one of Rurik’s favorites, Jorginho. He’s wasted at Chelsea. Nice to see.

I don't think we would even go for him at that price anyway. I mean he's good, but he's not THAT good. I think Rabiot on a free is more likely in the summer. Not the same type of player I know...and would command a massive signing on fee and huge wages, plus his mum/agent is a mentalist. Just have a feeling he's coming....massive Liverpool fan...etc etc.
Rabiot does not seem like the type of player, from a personality and squad compatibility standpoint, that Klopp would sign.

Yup. We're not a team that guarantees trophies, we don't pay obscene money and we're not one of the premier glamour teams like Real Madrid. Our offering relies on game time and a path to stardom.

It is a problem we need to overcome though. We can't continue with the sort of options we have at the moment. It cost us last year and it could do so again this year.

The front three will need to adapt to being rotated (or dropped during those rough patches). We play them into the ground as things stand, which doesn't do anyone any favours.
And there's Klopp. It seems he is a massive draw for many players. Plus an EL final, a LC final, a CL final last season and challenging the most expensive side in history, and Pep, for the PL title this season with an awesome record.
If we can KO Bayern and maybe make the semis or better again in the CL this season, it will cement our standing in most players' minds that we ARE one of the top teams in Europe at the moment and possibly, with the way we have strengthened, for the short-to-mid term foreseeable future.

As for rotation of the front three, the only reason we haven't unless forced to is because we don't have a backup at their level. If we had 4 Klopp would rotate them and they'd all be better off for it.

This is killing me. There's only one outcome whenever Rurik ever rates this highly:

(1) He turns out to be world class; and
(2)...signs for another team.....

That's exactly what happened with Salah – but fortunately we got him in the end.

Well if he’s good and goes elsewhere, let’s hope he goes down the same route as one of Rurik’s favorites, Jorginho. He’s wasted at Chelsea. Nice to see.

I like Jorginho, but I also repeatedly warned about his shortcomings and how the rest of the team would need to be set up to compensate for his lack of athleticism. So far his career at Chelsea shows both his class when he is the linchpin of a system that's working and the problems that arise when teams work out how to stop it.

Rabiot does not seem like the type of player, from a personality and squad compatibility standpoint, that Klopp would sign.

He's a talent, for sure – but do we even need another CM at this point? Hendo, Fabinho, Gini, and Keita are in their prime and going nowhere and we also have the likes of Grujic and Curtis Jones coming through the ranks.

Last edited:

Wasted? What?

He's playing for someone so close to him, that he's referred to as his Dad. He's undroppable and has had the team moved around him, to accommodate his role, after the exact same situation at Napoli, where he was employed by the same manager, in the same position, in the same formation playing the same style of football.

How exactly would you suggest that he's currently being 'wasted' and not able to show his full potential and qualities?

Wasted? What?

He's playing for someone so close to him, that he's referred to as his Dad. He's undroppable and has had the team moved around him, to accommodate his role, after the exact same situation at Napoli, where he was employed by the same manager, in the same position, in the same formation playing the same style of football.

How exactly would you suggest that he's currently being 'wasted' and not able to show his full potential and qualities?
By not having a particularly creative player close to him, and playing deepest in midfield, he’s being marked out of the game, unable to influence the tempo at all. This has been the case since teams figured the Chelsea tactics out early on in the season.

Why would he leave Bayern? He's a key player for them.

Disclaimer: post was made with no sense of realism. But also worth noting that Bayern are struggling in Germany and he might be enticed away if they don't make big moves in the market. For me he would represent an incredible addition to our front three.

Disclaimer: post was made with no sense of realism. But also worth noting that Bayern are struggling in Germany and he might be enticed away if they don't make big moves in the market. For me he would represent an incredible addition to our front three.
I don't think Bayern are struggling. They had one poor period, a bit like us, where they went for 4 games without a win. They are closing in on Dortmund and I wouldn't put money against them winning the BL yet again. They also have a good chance in the CL if they get past us, there is no outstanding team this year, bar City, and they have as good a chance as any. I do think the team is aging (well) but they'll have no problem picking the cream of the crop in Germany.

Another 19-year old playmaker we've been linked to recently is Benfica's Joao Felix. Here's a taste of what he can do:

Benfica starlet Joao Felix has quickly emerged as one of Europe's most in-demand young talents.
The 18-year-old wonderkid has enjoyed a stunning breakthrough season in the Portuguese top flight and is now being heavily linked with various massive clubs. Manchester United are said to be closely monitoring Felix, whilst Liverpool reportedly had a bid turned down in January and Wolves are considering an audacious move. La Liga giants Real Madrid and Barcelona are said to be leading the race, however, as they aim to take Felix to Spain instead of the Premier League.

His agent, Pedro Cordeiro, has now fuelled speculation over his future by hailing his client as a potential future winner of the Balon d'Or and stating he expects him to break the Portuguese transfer record. "Joao Felix is one of the best talents to emerge from the 1999 generation," Cordeiro told Portuguese newspaper Record. "He has everything to become the most expensive transfer of Portuguese football, and to be a candidate for the Balon d'Or." Felix is being tipped to attract a huge fee as Benfica look to encourage a summer bidding war to cash in on their prized asset. He has a huge release clause of €120million having penned a revised deal recently.

Joao Felix is turning the eyes of Europe's biggest clubs like Liverpool and Man Utd upon him. But who is Benfica's latest starlet?

Felix has hit the news in recent weeks with mounting reports that United are one of several clubs chasing the 19-year-old, with A Bola reporting on Wednesday that Liverpool and Bayern Munich are among the elite European sides who have him in their sights. There are few better clubs for the talented youngster than Benfica, which can list David Luiz, Nemanja Matic, Jan Oblak and even Rui Costa among players they have matured before moving on, but what can Europe's elite expect should they sign the 19-year-old?

Why does everyone want him?
Felix plays off a striker rather than as an out-and-out forward himself, but that has not stopped him scoring seven times in eight league starts for Benfica this season, as well as four in seven for Portugal U21s during their Euro 2019 qualifiers. Since becoming the youngest Benfica scorer in a Lisbon derby with barely half an hour of league football under his belt, Felix has already begun to live up to the excitement around him as he rose through the youth ranks with Portugal's most successful club side.

But he won't come cheap - his recently-signed new deal in Portugal comes with a €120m (£105m) release clause attached, with the club's president dead-set on winning the Champions League with a team full of homegrown players.

What's his style?
There have been comparisons between Felix and Kaka - who he lists as his boyhood hero. Both are good passers with a strong eye for goal, and can play anywhere in behind the striker. It's at inside forward where he has been at his best, using his trusty right foot to good effect when cutting in from the left wing. However, under new Benfica manager Bruno Lage, he has been moved into attack in a 4-4-2 alongside top scorer Haris Seferovic, instead of the left of a 4-3-3 as he was under previous boss Rui Vitoria. Since that move into the middle, he has scored six in his last seven games.

Goalscoring is certainly what Felix does best; of his 10 goal contributions this season, seven have been scored by him, while he has made the other three. But having been let go by Porto because of his slight frame as a youngster, his physique is still a priority for Benfica to improve, and he has been given a special regime to improve his strength this season.

Strong pedigree
As above, Felix was let go by Porto as a 15-year-old as they looked to cash in on a number of their youth players, and a young Joao was seen as being too slight. A late growth spurt set him back on a level playing field among his peers, and by 2017 he was already being talked up in the national Portuguese press as the next Bernardo Silva, still a year shy of his first-team debut.

After moving to Lisbon he made his debut for Benfica's reserve team at the age of 16, but showed no signs of nerves to score three times from midfield in 12 games that season in LigaPro, Portugal's second tier. A year later he was a regular scorer as their youth team lifted the Campeonato Nacional de Juniores, Portugal's equivalent of the Premier Academy League, and that would ultimately seal his ascent to the first team at the Estadio da Luz.

Praise from on-high
Benfica striker Haris Seferovic recently spoke highly of Felix, but was sure to point out Benfica have other options in attack with the youngster stealing the limelight this season. Last season's top scorer, striker Jonas, said of him: "He is a player who can show his potential to not just the fans of Benfica, but to fans across Europe. He is a boy who has enormous quality and a calmness with the ball in the feet."

And ex-Benfica hero Nuno Gomes added: "Joao Felix is very strong, but still has a long way to go until he reaches the level of the main Portuguese team. However, nowadays everything can happen very fast, as we have seen with Renato Sanches."

There have been words of warning, though. Bino, a forwards coach in the Porto academy where Felix progressed as a youngster, said: "When we are told that we have a lot of talent, we do not need to run too much, because we think that talent will take us wherever we want. It was a little bit of what has been happening with Joao at Porto. We have to be very careful, we are in an era where a player is very quickly valued - and sometimes it is not easy to see how every day in the newspaper you are being called the best, even at his age."

I have not seen him over 90 minutes yet, but he's clearly a very talented boy who does have a bit of Rui Costa about him. However, there are a few question marks: the slight physique, the fact that he so far has only started around 15 games for Benfica and a typically over-the-top hype and insane prices quoted by the Portuguese agents and media, despite all the warnings from the football people that he still has much to learn. I'd love to see what he can do here, but not at fucking £105 million.

Last edited:
BTW before anyone asks how Ante Coric is doing at Roma, he's only played 20 minutes in the league this season. Can't get into the team even in the cup games.

By not having a particularly creative player close to him, and playing deepest in midfield, he’s being marked out of the game, unable to influence the tempo at all. This has been the case since teams figured the Chelsea tactics out early on in the season.

So Sarri doesn't know how to get the best out of him?

Are you saying he’s currently getting the best out of him?

Maybe he's just a bit overrated, unsuited to the Premier League and should go back to a slow league like Italy.

Because let's face it, while going to play in a different country is always a gamble of sorts, with no guarantees, you can't do much more to mitigate that, than have the exact same manager, playing the exact same formation, with the exact same footballing philosophy, with you in the exact same position and given every chance to succeed by playing every fucking game.

What the FUCK else would you suggest could be done?

I know it's not really a transfer as such, but that dodgy saudi, assassination ordering fucker is being heavily linked now with a 4bill purchase of utd. Surely the glazers would want to bail out at that sort of money. Them, city and psg call all have a massive ffp-dodge-off.

Maybe he's just a bit overrated, unsuited to the Premier League and should go back to a slow league like Italy.

Because let's face it, while going to play in a different country is always a gamble of sorts, with no guarantees, you can't do much more to mitigate that, than have the exact same manager, playing the exact same formation, with the exact same footballing philosophy, with you in the exact same position and given every chance to succeed by playing every fucking game.

What the FUCK else would you suggest could be done?

So you think midfield partners and their function in the team make no difference to another midfield player. I think differently. No biggie.

So you think midfield partners and their function in the team make no difference to another midfield player. I think differently. No biggie.

No, you said he was being "wasted" at Chelsea - which implies a lack of understanding/ ability/ inclination to use a player correctly - which I suggested was a stupid assertion, given all of the very favourable elements in place, which I outlined in detail for you.

No, you said he was being "wasted" at Chelsea - which implies a lack of understanding/ ability/ inclination to use a player correctly - which I suggested was a stupid assertion, given all of the very favourable elements in place, which I outlined in detail for you.
You’re very selective Brendan, as per.
Using an out of position Kante ahead of Jorginho is wasting his talents due to him being marked out the game. It’s not rocket science.

You’re very selective Brendan, as per.
Using an out of position Kante ahead of Jorginho is wasting his talents due to him being marked out the game. It’s not rocket science.

He's not wasting Jorginho's talents. That's where he played for Napoli, as the deepest midfielder, with two ahead of him in a 4-3-3

He is arguably wasting Kante's, but he's claimed on more than one occasion that he doesn't think he's a good enough passer to play the role of DLP/ pivot/ whatever in his 4-3-3 - the role Jorginho plays - so the only other option is one of the two advanced midfield positions.

I hope this helps.

He's not wasting Jorginho's talents. That's where he played for Napoli, as the deepest midfielder, with two ahead of him in a 4-3-3

He is arguably wasting Kante's, but he's claimed on more than one occasion that he doesn't think he's a good enough passer to play the role of DLP/ pivot/ whatever in his 4-3-3 - the role Jorginho plays - so the only other option is one of the two advanced midfield positions.

I hope this helps.
So you think he’s getting the best out of Jorginho. Jesus.

First rule of management - set up your team and tactics based on the resources present, not the opposite.

Dave Maddock tweeted and the then deleted this last night apparently

Quote:
[xtable=border:0|cellpadding:6|cellspacing:0|100%x@]
{tbody}
{tr}
{td}Jurgen Klopp reveals HUGE #LFC interest in Jadon Sancho, but admits it was impossible to sign him from Man City: "We are not blind – we saw him, we liked him, and we thought 'Can we get him?' No. They don't sell to other English clubs...Dortmund do though{/td}
{/tr}
{/tbody}
[/xtable]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom