• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Transfer strategy

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's not what I'm saying, I'm saying we have to be prepared to pay a premium to get the best players, we can't always expect to get a bargain, don't get extorted, sure, but pay a little bit more to get your first choice, otherwise we'll never push on to the very top.

I actually agree in principle with the idea of stretching a valuation for your key targets. What I was really objecting to is the idea that it's ok for us to take City and Chelsea as our examples, because we simply can't follow their lead. We don't have that luxury. If we are to outdo them the only way is to out-think them.

I actually agree in principle with the idea of stretching a valuation for your key targets. What I was really objecting to is the idea that it's ok for us to take City and Chelsea as our examples, because we simply can't follow their lead. We don't have that luxury. If we are to outdo them the only way is to out-think them.
I was just picking the top clubs in this country, they always go for their first choice and pay for them. We cant match them financially of course, but now were back in the champions league, we aren't exactly short of cash.

Let us say you have x to spend this summer. Do you want to spend it good or do you want spend it bad? Would you agree that good means getting as talented players as possible in the positions you require, for the amount of money you have at your disposal?

The problem with that is who is the arbiter of good and bad .... and the fact that Player X could turn out to be perfect for us or a flop. It's all still a spin of the wheel.

If we were going to win the title by buying player X then no one could complain. The fact is one player is unlikely to make that difference. Our budget, whatever it is its less tham Chelsea and City, dictates that we have to be cleverer with it than others do. We cant afford expensive mistakes, its what cost us over the past 10 years and it will again while we have a limited budget.

It may well have been the difference last season.

Here is how the summer transfer campaign is looking so far:

Confirmed/upcoming bids:
Starting LB: Alberto Moreno £16M+Suso
Playmaker/CM/RW: Adam Lallana £22-25M
Back-up DM/CM: Emre Can £10M (activates release clause)

Other priority positions:
Starting CB: Lovren or another £10-18M
Back-up striker: Remy or another £8-15M
Back-up GK: Vorm or another £5M or less

That's around £70–85M outlay right there, depending on how much the CB and 3rd striker would cost. We would have to raise a lot of money from player sales to complement the reported £60M transfer budget.

No wonder Rodgers cooled on Konoplyanka – there is simply no money to spend for "non-essential" positions this summer given how many holes he needs to fill in the current squad. I'm sure he will also want to leave some funds aside to buy some talented youngsters, as he always does.

Here is how the summer transfer campaign is looking so far:

Confirmed/upcoming bids:
Starting LB: Alberto Moreno £16M+Suso
Playmaker/CM/RW: Adam Lallana £22-25M
Back-up DM/CM: Emre Can £10M (activates release clause)

Other priority positions:
Starting CB: Lovren or another £10-18M
Back-up striker: Remy or another £8-15M
Back-up GK: Vorm or another £5M or less

That's around £70–85M outlay right there, depending on how much the CB and 3rd striker would cost. We would have to raise a lot of money from player sales to complement the reported £60M transfer budget.

No wonder Rodgers cooled on Konoplyanka – there is simply no money to spend for "non-essential" positions this summer given how many holes he needs to fill in the current squad. I'm sure he will also want to leave some funds aside to buy some talented youngsters, as he always does.
In my books, that would be a superb summer. I'd also try and keep Suso here, I think he'd get a respectable amount of game time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom