• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

VAR

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think your severely underestimating the costs involved of capturing and broadcasting footage at 50fps let alone 3/4x greater that. It's not something sky or the club's are going to want to absorb.

I think we will require a change in tact or approach to see improvements

Pretty sure the idea that purpose used var cameras were used was partially born from BT saying how they had access to camera angles that var didn't have , for some reason
The cost is absolutely negligible for the premier league or Sky, I mean, of course they aren't going to want to spend money for the sake of it, but they should, and could easily afford it.

Nah you're clearly totally unaware of the costs involved here , they're far from negligible for any business !

Just because you can afford something it doesn't mean you should/want or even need to it.

In Sky's case , they're already under attack from multiple angles in regards to sports broadcasting and their subscriptions , investing money into a market they're under great stress when the return on investment to them is approximately 0 at this point in time is just mad

For offsides I think we just need to accept that it is applying the same rules for everyone and not get caught up in the whole "but it was millimetres" chat. I don't think its use in offsides is for 'clear and obvious' but for all decisions. The 'clear and obvious' is for subjective decisions e.g. pens, serious fouls, handballs etc.

Nah you're clearly totally unaware of the costs involved here , they're far from negligible for any business !

Just because you can afford something it doesn't mean you should/want or even need to it.

In Sky's case , they're already under attack from multiple angles in regards to sports broadcasting and their subscriptions , investing money into a market they're under great stress when the return on investment to them is approximately 0 at this point in time is just mad

It's really not sky's responsibility either is it. The other systems in sport are not tied to the broadcaster.

I wonder if the maths came up in a meeting, there's a big margin of error at 50fps guys Vs free existing cameras.

It's really not sky's responsibility either is it. The other systems in sport are not tied to the broadcaster.

I wonder if the maths came up in a meeting, there's a big margin of error at 50fps guys Vs free existing cameras.
I can't imagine it's changed much , sky , itv and Bbc used to own all the broadcasting equipment in the stadiums and people to pay to use their feeds .

Imagine it's sky and BT owning much or the infrastructure now and yeah exactly , it's nothing to do with them , they get zero value from it

I'm sure I've read somewhere that in cases of great speed , the margin of error could be nigh on the length of the boot at present potentially completely rendering a decision useless

Like has been said. It's not VAR that's the problem, but the humans applying it.

They should just come out and say, we're only using VAR for offsides, goal-line tech, fouls inside/outside the box, mistaken red card identity and nothing else. Basically all objective calls.

There is no point talking about stepping in when a "clear and obvious error" has been made, because that's subjective. And as we've seen this year, when those clear and obvious mistakes have been shown on TV, the VAR does NOT overrule the referee; I don't think they've even asked him to come over to the side of the pitch once, in any game.

That Arsenal handball last night was one of the clearest handballs I've ever seen, and yet the referee wasn't even advised to go and see it. It's a complete farce!

They should allow each manager limited opportunites to demand that the Ref come over and view the replay ( in addition to the VAR team).

Over time, sides that can afford it will invest into better technology so they know when it's worth making the call.

Other than that I'm not sure what's so wrong about VAR

Why not just use the first frame in which the passing player makes contact with the ball before the actual pass.

It's just like what the linesman sees and looks for, and if it's offside then, it's definitely offside when the ball leaves his foot.

Inspecting over dozens of frames is inapplicable.

They should allow each manager limited opportunites to demand that the Ref come over and view the replay ( in addition to the VAR team).

Over time, sides that can afford it will invest into better technology so they know when it's worth making the call.

Other than that I'm not sure what's so wrong about VAR
Teams would just start using it to waste time. Imagine leading 1-0 and being under pressure. Just demand VAR and get couple of minutes break and kill the other teams momentum.

Why not just use the first frame in which the passing player makes contact with the ball before the actual pass.

It's just like what the linesman sees and looks for, and if it's offside then, it's definitely offside when the ball leaves his foot.

Inspecting over dozens of frames is inapplicable.
Well, what if the frame doesn’t catch the precise point of contact? With only 50fps that’s easily possible and is the point of discussion here.
Multiple frames aren’t used to determine offside, they scroll around multiple frames to determine that exact frame. But it’s too imprecise right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom