• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

What makes LFC supporters unique

Status
Not open for further replies.

Silver Sean

Very Well-Known
Bored at work, so thought I'd list a few reasons we're different to other clubs' supporters.

We applaud opposing GKs into the Kop goal
We don’t sing about other clubs, only ourselves
We don’t support Ing Ur Lund. They and their supporters are cunts.
We don’t read, buy or even pick up The Sun.
We welcome our diverse fan base. You do not need to be Liverpudlian to be Scouse.
We support our team like no other, even in defeat
We create songs that are the envy of other teams. And often stolen by them.
We always support and trust in our manager (apart from Hodgson. Hodgson is, was, and always will be a cunt).

Anyone got any others?

I think you're on dodgy ground with couple of those but just before I switch the light off (in a hotel and the missus is complaining - what's new)....

I don't think there are many clubs that are as strongly embedded in the local community. At least not top clubs. Charity work too seems to be an integral part of being an LFC player.

And

Something to do with support given to supporters who have suffered or are suffering as a consequence of supporting us. This could be a legacy of Hillsborough.

We're the only fans who know the difference between a football stadium and a library. Many other sets of fans, especially London ones, wander around Anfield, with their Bulldog Drummond books tucked under their arms, asking if it's a library. They're a bit simple.

A sense of defiance combined with a slight bit of entitlement.

Not so much entitlement that we expect everything all the time, or take it for granted (although in the 80s they apparently did) but enough to expect there to actually be a chance to, say, beat Barca 4 nil to progress to the CL final.

That defiance not to conform though, not to become like other clubs, to be fans, not consumers, that's truly unique in England imo.

A sense of defiance combined with a slight bit of entitlement.

Not so much entitlement that we expect everything all the time, or take it for granted (although in the 80s they apparently did) but enough to expect there to actually be a chance to, say, beat Barca 4 nil to progress to the CL final.

That defiance not to conform though, not to become like other clubs, to be fans, not consumers, that's truly unique in England imo.
Being a fan of those times I like to think that it wasn't entitlement but rather expectation based on our on going and continuing dominance of both the English and European competitions.
Similarly now, I was somewhat zen about competing at the tail end of the Premier league and Champions league, as regardless of the outcome of the current campaign, it is almost inevitable that we will eventually prevail in future campaigns.
Easy to say I guess, when we are the Champions of Europe

It's the history/culture and politics surrounding the Club and City. I'm not from Liverpool myself so I'm not going to pretend to be an expert but it's well known the City fell on hard times and the football was people's escape and arguably only escape. A real sense of defiance amongst the people and the success of the team at the time...70s/80s would've been a huge source of pride and cause for celebration at a time when the City was so badly neglected.

Shankly was obviously a massive factor in linking Club and fans together as one.

We've always had a different way with us as fans to other Clubs. The songs, banners, flags, creativiness.

Bored at work, so thought I'd list a few reasons we're different to other clubs' supporters.

We applaud opposing GKs into the Kop goal
We don’t sing about other clubs, only ourselves
We don’t support Ing Ur Lund. They and their supporters are cunts.
We don’t read, buy or even pick up The Sun.
We welcome our diverse fan base. You do not need to be Liverpudlian to be Scouse.
We support our team like no other, even in defeat
We create songs that are the envy of other teams. And often stolen by them.
We always support and trust in our manager (apart from Hodgson. Hodgson is, was, and always will be a cunt).

Anyone got any others?

1. -
  2. You have never heard the Munich/Dambusters stuff? We sing some shit at times
  3. I do and I'd like to think I'm not
  4. A given - even before
  5. Whilst no-one has been outright hostile my Yorkshire accent doesn't go down too well. I'm generally with friends/cousins who didn't move away so generally sound
  6. Whe are not unique in that outside the current top 6
  7. We've a few crackers from before/when I was a lad but most teams have a few good ones and the stealing is universal!
  8. You had to mention him?

Oncy, "our massive cocks of course"
me, "At 38, walking to work and singing along with Jamie WEbster to all our songs"

I think it's a lot of things.

It's a famous and storied city, but not the massive metropolis one would expect.
That's one thing first time visitors are probably quite surprised by, that you can see so much on foot without the need to traverse thousands of miles in an undergound tube
Where even if you walk around lost, you wont stay lost for long, you'll soon find your way, and someone will help you out if you still need it.
It feels like home, even if youre not from there.

A city that is proud of what it stands for, despite what others say or do.
The people took the jibes, the insults, the epithets, and still produced the worlds greatest football and the worlds greatest music.
No matter how many times you're stepped on, no matter how many times people wish you'd shut up and go away, you fight.
No matter how many milk snatchers dream of cutting you away to float across the Irish Sea.

You always stand up ror whats right, for justice, for fairness.
That's why you applaud rival teams when you lose fairly.
And bevause no matter how many tragedies and sorrow befall you, you rise up, you come back., you try again.
Because no matter what happens, no matter that everything goes wrong, you still believe that someday you will see a golden sky and hear a lark.

It is that soul of the city that inhabits the club (though im not sure what happens when it reaches Gwladys)
That is why you are unique, and that is why the LFC fans across the world are all crazy too.
Beacsue you let them in, mostly.
The belief always resonates.

The will of the LFC supporter to keep believing and hoping (even under the Hodgson year, that's what makes you unique.
Even if you dont think you're unique, you are.

I consider myself very privileged to have seen it for myself.
One day i'll be back to remind myself.

I think it's a lot of things.

It's a famous and storied city, but not the massive metropolis one would expect.
That's one thing first time visitors are probably quite surprised by, that you can see so much on foot without the need to traverse thousands of miles in an undergound tube
Where even if you walk around lost, you wont stay lost for long, you'll soon find your way, and someone will help you out if you still need it.
It feels like home, even if youre not from there.

A city that is proud of what it stands for, despite what others say or do.
The people took the jibes, the insults, the epithets, and still produced the worlds greatest football and the worlds greatest music.
No matter how many times you're stepped on, no matter how many times people wish you'd shut up and go away, you fight.
No matter how many milk snatchers dream of cutting you away to float across the Irish Sea.

You always stand up ror whats right, for justice, for fairness.
That's why you applaud rival teams when you lose fairly.
And bevause no matter how many tragedies and sorrow befall you, you rise up, you come back., you try again.
Because no matter what happens, no matter that everything goes wrong, you still believe that someday you will see a golden sky and hear a lark.

It is that soul of the city that inhabits the club (though im not sure what happens when it reaches Gwladys)
That is why you are unique, and that is why the LFC fans across the world are all crazy too.
Beacsue you let them in, mostly.
The belief always resonates.

The will of the LFC supporter to keep believing and hoping (even under the Hodgson year, that's what makes you unique.
Even if you dont think you're unique, you are.

I consider myself very privileged to have seen it for myself.
One day i'll be back to remind myself.
You should put that to music :)

I don’t think there is a single thing anyone can list that sets us apart from the rest as other clubs have have the same things.

What does make us unique is the number of things we do have as a collective which is the envy of so many.

No other team I can think of has as many of the positive attributes a club would want.

We don’t have everything but we have more than most and that’s what makes us unique.

I was thinking the samr thing as the first dad

'How come they got to meet Big Virg and i didnt' lol

Being a fan of those times I like to think that it wasn't entitlement but rather expectation based on our on going and continuing dominance of both the English and European competitions.
Similarly now, I was somewhat zen about competing at the tail end of the Premier league and Champions league, as regardless of the outcome of the current campaign, it is almost inevitable that we will eventually prevail in future campaigns.
Easy to say I guess, when we are the Champions of Europe

Top, top post. I especially agree that it absolutely is NOT a question of "entitlement" - on the contrary, because of our history we know better than anybody how far we've slipped from the glory days, and how hard we were always going to have to work in order to get back up there. The "entitlement" thing is a completely bogus accusation levelled at us by others who are no friends of ours. Let's please not play their silly little game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom