• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Where would we be?

Status
Not open for further replies.
It has to be said, if Rafa had the 100m Kenny got, things would be different.

He still would have fought his way out of the job though.

Or rafa may have signed another Torres, masher and alonso and we would be in top 4 now

No he wouldn't. Rafa went off his rocker and wouldn't have found another striker of that calibre, or another midfielder that good.

He didn't do it when he spanked loads on aqua, Keane, Johnson etc. He wouldn't do it when we finished 7th.

Rafas transfer record for the last 3-4 windows was horrendous. Why would he suddenly have gotten it right?

I think we would be in the same position with the 3 managers.

Difference between them would be the mood and atmosphere surrounding the club.

Rafas transfer record for the last 3-4 windows was horrendous. Why would he suddenly have gotten it right?

Errrr, one might just as well ask why he suddenly got it wrong?

He found Suarez, he found Suso and Sterling. Of course, we'll never know how he'd have spent that £100m, but I think it's very likely we'd be in the CL right now and making an outside challenge for the title.

Errrr, one might just as well ask why he suddenly got it wrong?

He found Suarez, he found Suso and Sterling. Of course, we'll never know how he'd have spent that £100m, but I think it's very likely we'd be in the CL right now and making an outside challenge for the title.

The world found suarez at a very similar time to rafa

In that case he didn't find Torres, Alonso, Agger etc.

It's a silly argument.

You're right about torres, he didn't find him as he was already widely known due to his Madrid exploits.

Agger and alonso I'd say he did find.

Suarez was scoring for fun for groningen and was getting a decent reputation (the biting didn't help).

I'm happy for crediting rafa with finding some players but others were widely known. He was the one who decided to gamble.

He also gambled on Gonzalez, Leto, palette, Carson etc etc

Rafa got 1 nearly perfect player in each position, but then couldn't find anyone to lace their boots as backup

Errrr, he found Suarez? A Uruguayan international playing for Ajax and scoring 100 goals in the Eredivisie. Yeah, he was hard to identify for our scouts.

In his last 4 transfer windows he bought:
Degen, Dossena, Aquilani, Maxi, Kyrigiakos, Johnson, Cavalieri, Keane, N'Gog, Riera. A total of 74 mill £.

And fucking off Riise, Finnan, Hyypia, Crouch, Alonoso and Arbeloa.

He was making us worse, buying shite for large sums of money and without a decent plan.
We would be nowhere near top 4 and a title challenge would still be a dream.

I'm missing something ... Kenny signed Suarez, so how is Rafa getting the credit (or not) here?

Because rafa came out and said "i didn't buy him but I scouted the shit out of him"

He and about half of Europe had scouts at the Ajax games.
Deserves credit for buying Agger, Alonoso, Torres, Mascher, Reina etc, the Acadamy, thropies and glory.
I love Rafa and he was a great manager, but his last two years were awful in terms of transfers, he lost the plot on the pitch and seemed to fuck a lot of players off.
The decline would have continued.

He and about half of Europe had scouts at the Ajax games.
Deserves credit for buying Agger, Alonoso, Torres, Mascher, Reina etc, the Acadamy, thropies and glory.
I love Rafa and he was a great manager, but his last two years were awful in terms of transfers, he lost the plot on the pitch and seemed to fuck a lot of players off.
The decline would have continued.

Why? Based on what? You haven't got a fucking clue what you're talking about, as per fucking usual.

Ha, lovely. When someone doesnt agree with you then retort to insults.

Why are you so sure he would suddenly have been able to sign quality players again and dug himself out of the massive hole he was in?

Isnt this a thread about ones opinion? Dont react like child just because someone doesnt agree about your Rafa views.

Switching shit up! It's my thread so I can do that.
So now :

Rafa signed Suarez and Carrol
Kenny signed Allen and Kuyt
Roy signed Meijer and Jones

No he wouldn't. Rafa went off his rocker and wouldn't have found another striker of that calibre, or another midfielder that good.

He didn't do it when he spanked loads on aqua, Keane, Johnson etc. He wouldn't do it when we finished 7th.
didnt he say he was trying to buy falco? (or someone equally awesome) but couldnt get the money for him?

didnt he say he was trying to buy falco? (or someone equally awesome) but couldnt get the money for him?
Alves, Falcao etc

It's always nice to say you'd buy a player when the money isn't there. If it was, would he have bought them? Not guaranteed, it depends on the squad.

Ha, lovely. When someone doesnt agree with you then retort to insults.

Why are you so sure he would suddenly have been able to sign quality players again and dug himself out of the massive hole he was in?

Isnt this a thread about ones opinion? Dont react like child just because someone doesnt agree about your Rafa views.

I'm not sure, I just think it's more likely than not. Why wouldn't he have been? The only reason people ever give for this is that 'he lost the plot', as if you can somehow permanently lose an ability to sign good players. Is there some kind of science behind such a view?

It strikes me as fucking ridiculously lame and pathetic, and quite deserving of insults.

Oh, and another to add to the 'if only' list: Stevan Jovetic, a player he apparently would definitely have signed in 2009 if he'd been told the truth about his budget.

I'm not sure, I just think it's more likely than not. Why wouldn't he have been? The only reason people ever give for this is that 'he lost the plot', as if you can somehow permanently lose an ability to sign good players. Is there some kind of science behind such a view?

It strikes me as fucking ridiculously lame and pathetic, and quite deserving of insults.
Is it not plausible that he had a purple patch in signing good players too Peter?

Not liked he signed great players for inter after us

So I take it we should all be a bit happier with Rodgers?

I'd have preferred Van Gaal. However I'm fully behind Rodgers, it's just a pity the owners didn't back their man financially. Rodgers isn't the problem. As for the others mentioned, Kenny and Hodgson would have us where we are now, Rafa would have us top 6.

Oh, and another to add to the 'if only' list: Stevan Jovetic, a player he apparently would definitely have
signed in 2009 if he'd been told the truth about his budget.

Its also fucking ridiculously lame and pathetic to list players he wanted to sign or that he "found".
Wenger scouted Ibrahimovic when he was 16, Fergie scouted RVP before he signed for Arsenal yet none of them claim to have "found" them.

The truth is he didnt sign them. The issue with shite owners and transfer budgets aside he spent a fortune on shite players the last few years.
One, 1, player is in our first team today from the players he signed during those 4 windows.

You may have faith in him suddenly signing quality again but I dont. Just look at the transfer history.
The team was also in decline. Replacing Alonso with Aqua, Hyypia with Kyrigiakos and Riise with Dossena.
Loads of poor squad players with high wages. Not replacing Keane, or for that matter keeping him for the season was also mental.

Its also fucking ridiculously lame and pathetic to list players he wanted to sign or that he "found".
Wenger scouted Ibrahimovic when he was 16, Fergie scouted RVP before he signed for Arsenal yet none of them claim to have "found" them.

The truth is he didnt sign them. The issue with shite owners and transfer budgets aside he spent a fortune on shite players the last few years.
One, 1, player is in our first team today from the players he signed during those 4 windows.

You may have faith in him suddenly signing quality again but I dont. Just look at the transfer history.
The team was also in decline. Replacing Alonso with Aqua, Hyypia with Kyrigiakos and Riise with Dossena.
Loads of poor squad players with high wages. Not replacing Keane, or for that matter keeping him for the season was also mental.

1. I only used the term 'found' because Fabio introduced it to the discussion in saying he wouldn't have been able to 'find' another striker after selling Torres. So I retorted, not without irony, that he 'found' Suarez.

2. I think it's relevant to consider players he would've liked to have signed, and under reasonable circumstances, would've been able to. Obviously this wouldn't extend to him wanting to sign, say, Messi, if only he hadn't been denied the £100m necessary, but it should be permissible when looking at the likes of Alves (lost out for sake of a couple of million) or Jovetic (was told he'd be able to sign him). Jovetic is actually very pertinent indeed, because IMO it absolutely specifically rebutts this idea that he'd permanently lost any abilility in the transfer market. Here was a brilliant young player, not well known, and not hugely expensive, he wanted to sign in 2009. I think that's highly, patently, relevant.

3. I think selling Keane in the January was good business.

Selling Keane was good business.

Not buying a replacement was daft.

Also, re: my use of the word "find". Fair enough. I don't think rafa would have bought a player after he left us anywhere near the quality of torres, Alonso, Mascher, or Reina.

He had a purple patch of buying some quality players. He also surrounded those players with kromkamp, pelligrino, sissoko (I know I'm harsh), etc.

I thank rafa for what he did, but by the end he seemed like a megalomaniac, insisting on controlling every facet of the club, whilst giving himself too many problems

In terms of getting back most of what we paid - yes
For our title challenge - no

It still baffles me that he didnt sign a replacement.

As interesting it is to reflect on where we would be if things were different, it is far more interesting to find out where the hell we are when things are as they are?

It was meant in endearment sir, certainly not having a go. I loved the Bellamy Diaries. As far as I'm concerned you're easily in the top 3 posters on here.

If you ask nicely I am certain he will curl one out on a glass coffee table for you.

Personally i think whoever we had in place would be struggling, Im a rafa fan and have a feeling that things would be better if he were in place still, possibly battling for fourth if he had had the 100M that Kenny utterly wasted but having said that.... Aquilani....

Hodgson for me was a ludicrous mismatch and should never have been allowed near the club IMHO.

I was gutted Rafa was sacked, I thought it was short sighted and threw away a lot of what he had built however unappreciated he was and is on here. I was heartbroken that Kenny basically fucked it up after a very promising start andbut still out of loyalty would have kept him another season tbh but now im just despairing that Rodgers hasnt been backed enough and we are left scrabbling with the season over before it even began.

All in all a proper shit sandwich.

IMO we have no choice but to get behind Rodgers as 5 managers in 5 minutes would be just daft and waste yet more precious money.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom