• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Who do we sign?

Status
Not open for further replies.
We need another player to share the creativity burden with Coutinho and any one of Eriksen, Dzagoev, Belhanda, Mertens or Gaitan could do the business for 15m. The rest of the 25m should go to a goal scoring target man like Benteke, Damiao or Jovetic. Alternatively a cheaper option up front could be a stopgap measure from Villa, Kiessling or even Lambert.

Sturridge's style of play I feel has yet to mature for him to be seriously considered our No.1 frontman esp if 4-2-3-1 is our preferred formation going forward. Until that happens, he will get his usual streak of goals but our team-play will suffer with the hold up play of the frontman crucial in this formation. Yes, he's slippery on the turn but his hold up play and finding the right ball out could be better. He reminds me a bit of Van Persie during his transitional days post Henry/Bergkamp moving from his preferred postion of second striker to sole frontman, tecnically sound but with the tendency to showboat this aspect and slow down the play. Fast forward to his final two seasons with Arsenal and the past one with Utd, RVP's movement and touches on the ball has become so efficient and decisive.

We need another player to share the creativity burden with Coutinho and any one of Bramble, Dzagoev, Belhanda, Mertens or Gaitan could do the business for 15m. The rest of the 25m should go to a goal scoring target man like Benteke, Damiao or Jovetic. Alternatively a cheaper option up front could be a stopgap measure from Villa, Kiessling or even Lambert.

Sturridge's style of play I feel has yet to mature for him to be seriously considered our No.1 frontman esp if 4-2-3-1 is our preferred formation going forward. Until that happens, he will get his usual streak of goals but our team-play will suffer with the hold up play of the frontman crucial in this formation. Yes, he's slippery on the turn but his hold up play and finding the right ball out could be better. He reminds me a bit of Van Persie during his transitional days post Henry/Bergkamp moving from his preferred postion of second striker to sole frontman, tecnically sound but with the tendency to showboat this aspect and slow down the play. Fast forward to his final two seasons with Arsenal and the past one with Utd, RVP's movement and touches on the ball has become so efficient and decisive.

If you look at the recent CL final, both teams played with two deep lying playmakers - from my drunken memory of it anyway.

Rather than trying to shoehorn another creative player into the front three I'd prefer to drop the creative black hole that Lucas is and bring in a midfielder with real quality.

I think that's an area we can massively improve on. Much more so than our front three.

I do think Ross has got a point. Same could to some extent be said about Allen although he's arguably more industrious going forward - however not a DM either.

Back to topic, Suarez will most likely leave. His recent comments are not to be confused at all, and it's the biggest come and get me plea you'll ever see from a player that's part of his current clubs plans.

I was gutted at first, and it is a major blow either way you see it. Losing a world class player always is.

Having said that however and having thought about it some more, I do believe it'll actually give Rodgers a golden opportunity to hone and bolster the squad significantly and make it less vulnerable than it's been for ages and more competitive too.

Suarez will bring in at least £30M that much is obvious and the likes of Skrtel, Coates, a few youngsters, Carroll, Assaidi and perhaps one of Lucas, Downing or Borini will bring in close to £40M. Add to this the supposed kitty of £20M and he's got close to £100M to spend.

We all know Erik-sen will be bought and I do believe Aspas is done and dusted too. That's about £20M spend. Then we HAVE to buy Wanyama or one of his ilk imo. A commanding, strong, big DM that is also rather mobile and can win headers. That's another £15M.

Then we should be going all for Alexis Sanchez. Splash the cash here, I wouldn't mind spending £25M on him despite his not so successful stint at Barca. He's great and can be even greater.

Papa or another young and strong CB at £15M and then whatever remaining should be pushed towards Viktor Fischer. If we can get him for £15M we'd be laughing. That's our new Suarez right there, without all the drama.

Look at this squad:

.....................................................Reina....................................................
Johnson.............................Papa................Agger...........................Enrique
.................................................Wanyama.................................................
..................................Erik-sen......................Gerrard...................................
Sanchez....................................Sturridge.....................................Coutinho

With Fischer, Aspas, Ibe, Sterling, Allen, Lucas, Henderson, Kolo, Kelly, Wisdom, Borini and 2nd goalie adding up the numbers.

Premiership winning team that.

I do think Ross has got a point. Same could to some extent be said about Allen although he's arguably more industrious going forward - however not a DM either.

Back to topic, Suarez will most likely leave. His recent comments are not to be confused at all, and it's the biggest come and get me plea you'll ever see from a player that's part of his current clubs plans.

I was gutted at first, and it is a major blow either way you see it. Losing a world class player always is.

Having said that however and having thought about it some more, I do believe it'll actually give Rodgers a golden opportunity to hone and bolster the squad significantly and make it less vulnerable than it's been for ages and more competitive too.

Suarez will bring in at least £30M that much is obvious and the likes of Skrtel, Coates, a few youngsters, Carroll, Assaidi and perhaps one of Lucas, Downing or Borini will bring in close to £40M. Add to this the supposed kitty of £20M and he's got close to £100M to spend.

We all know Erik-sen will be bought and I do believe Aspas is done and dusted too. That's about £20M spend. Then we HAVE to buy Wanyama or one of his ilk imo. A commanding, strong, big DM that is also rather mobile and can win headers. That's another £15M.

Then we should be going all for Alexis Sanchez. Splash the cash here, I wouldn't mind spending £25M on him despite his not so successful stint at Barca. He's great and can be even greater.

Papa or another young and strong CB at £15M and then whatever remaining should be pushed towards Viktor Fischer. If we can get him for £15M we'd be laughing. That's our new Suarez right there, without all the drama.

Look at this squad:

.....................................................Reina....................................................
Johnson.............................Papa................Agger...........................Enrique
.................................................Wanyama.................................................
..................................Erik-sen......................Gerrard...................................
Sanchez....................................Sturridge.....................................Coutinho

With Fischer, Aspas, Ibe, Sterling, Allen, Lucas, Henderson, Kolo, Kelly, Wisdom, Borini and 2nd goalie adding up the numbers.

Premiership winning team that.

If Reina is on his way to Barca for the reported woeful fee of £8m, I'd raise funds by listening to offers for Lucas aswell, anything +£9-10m I'd entertain, and double the amount Chelsea paid to recruit Courtois. That could possibly be a position filled for well over a decade and he's already playing at an elite level and winning trophies and individual awards. I'd listen to offers for Lucas because if Wanyama was injured, the skipper could play that role brilliantly as he showed for England at the latest European Championships. You've forgotten about Suso and Shelvey but I'd sell the thick clampit to West Ham or whoever will take him...plus we`d have Allen, Henderson, Luis Alberto and Suso there anyway for competition for those two attacking midfield berths.

Actually thought Shelves was going out on loan? Perhaps Suso too?

Agree with your Lucas point. And would be a great coup to get hold of Courtois. Ter Stegen also seems a viable option. Haven't seen any of them mind you.

If he's going out on loan I suppose that's the next best thing...imo he's not cut out for a top side. Championship or mid-Premiership club at best. Someone on here mentioned that Downing was the definition of a 7th placed side, I think likewise with Shelvey. Perhaps and hopefully I'm proved wrong.

I still don't know what to think of Shelvey. I am not used to that, but one day he looks like he'd struggle to make it in Rochdale, then next he's suddenly reminding me of some of the great ones.

I am utterly confused by him.

If Suarez goes, I'd be offloading a few more too. Lucas being the first.

Taking for granted Aspas is on the way - if we keep our defenders we don't need another CB right now.

So I would have Strootman as the first signing. If we can't get him - Kondogbia. Or Lars Bender, Asier Illarramendi

Up front I'd be looking to add Heung-Min Son and Luis Muriel.

If Reina goes - Fabian Giefer.

Maybe I'm being a tad presumptuous but he seems like the type of player were if Rodgers spent half an hour explaining the tactics to him it'd go in one ear and out the other and he'd do the complete opposite.

If Suarez goes, I'd be offloading a few more too. Lucas being the first.

Taking for granted Aspas is on the way - if we keep our defenders we don't need another CB right now.

So I would have Strootman as the first signing. If we can't get him - Kondogbia. Or Lars Bender, Asier Illarramendi

Up front I'd be looking to add Heung-Min Son and Luis Muriel.

If Reina goes - Fabian Giefer.

Some interesting calls, this time last year Strootman was the name on everybody's lips, now might be the time to strike that interest seems to have dwindled, despite having his best season yet. Can't say I've seen the rest of them play...I've only heard that Muriel and Heung-Min Son are very highly-rated.

Oh, and I wouldn't mind doing a Bayern and raiding a league team for their top player, in Christian Benteke.

If you look at the recent CL final, both teams played with two deep lying playmakers - from my drunken memory of it anyway.

Rather than trying to shoehorn another creative player into the front three I'd prefer to drop the creative black hole that Lucas is and bring in a midfielder with real quality.

I think that's an area we can massively improve on. Much more so than our front three.
Really good point, some analysis in the gaurdian about football trends also said the same. I may have to reconsider attack being the priority, deep lying creativity could be key.

We prob arent going to get a cash and player deal with Madrid that we are happy with so let's take the money and invest it in two or three players to improve us as a whole.

Selling Suarez for 50million (approx) can easily buy us one from the following three groups.
  • Munian, Dzagoev, Ericksen
  • Jovetic, Higuain, Gomez
  • Beast CM, Beast CM, Beast CM
That would give us a tricky player that play in a couple of positions, a striker and a BEAST CM. It would improve us as a whole. That is easy to say on paper. Whether it is spent wisely or not is another thing. I'm a betting man. I roar at the boring cunts on Deal or No Deal or Who wants to be a millionaire who play it safe and don't gamble but I'd keep Suarez if it's possible.

We can generate funds with the sale of Carroll and Skrtel. Combine that with our transfer budget and we can improve the team while keeping our best player.

It kind if solves a problem.

If we're to play the 4231 formation then I think Coutinho's ideal position in in the middle of the 3 and both Suarez & Sturridge's position is the 1 up front.

So, if we stick with the Coutinho / Sturridge central spine, we'd have the finance to introduce real quality in the 2 wider positions in the 3.

I think you could add real quality for £40m.

Then we maybe add a younger or older forward as competition for Sturridge - say Fischer or Tevez - you'd have around £10m.

Carroll sold for £15m goes towards a quality CB.

That leaves you the rumoured £20m budget for a CM.

Any other sales, fund a replacement - Downing, Coates, Skrtel and possibly a LB to give Enrique some backup / competition.

Think the Suarez money can net us two class players, one striker and one attacking midfielder/forward/wing wizard.

For strikers: Amen to Christian Benteke. He's already a beast and can only get better. We could also look at similar players such as Lukaku and Damiao - those build like a brick house who can float like a butterfly and sting like a bee with their size and ability on the ball.

For the creative attacking midfield role, Henrikh Mkhitaryan or Iker Muniain are my preferred choices.

I really don't agree with us selling Suarez and 40m pfft Madrid can fuck off for that price, I really do hate them cunts! But obviously not up to me. if I was Rodgers and had 100m+ to spend I'd sign Kyriakos Papadopolous, Luke Shaw, Axel Witsel, Iago Aspas and either Benteke or Lukaku.

I hate how Madrid think they can offer less than the minimum release clause. I really hope whoever at the club was responsible for responding just sent back a plain FUCK OFF back to that offer, as it deserves nothing less than contempt.

Negredo's 4 goals vs Valencia putting him on 25 league goals, 4th top scorer now behind Messi(46), Ronaldo(34) and Falcao (28). And he's playing for 9th place Sevilla (58 league goals).

#JustSaying.

It would be somewhat ironic to sell Suarez and then buy someone called "Negredo".

We could only sign him if Suarez leaves as those 2 playing together would be asking for trouble. Suarez would be banned for another quarter of the season.

Ok, how about this business based on current most credible links? Sell:

Carroll - £15m
Suarez - £45m
Reina - £10m
Spearing - £2m
Downing - £5m
Shelvey - £3m
Skrtel - £8m
Coates - £4m

Budget - £20m

Total budget - £112m

Buy:

Aspas - £8m
Toure - £0m
Ilori - £5m
Papadopoulos - £15m
Luis Alberto - £4m
Luis Muriel - £18m
Mkhitaryan - £15m
Begovic - £10m
Solid CM - £15m
Benteke - £20m

Total - £110m

Not sure on a couple of the above, just using them as plaeholders really. But in general, what a squad that would leave us with. Too much to hope for?

Nominal 'First' and 'Second' XIs on above business:

Begovic
Johnson
Agger
Papadopoulos
Enrique
New CM
Gerrard
Coutinho
Luis Muriel
Mkhitaryan
Benteke

Jones
Kelly
Toure
Ilori
Wisdom
Allen
Henderson
Luis Alberto
Aspas
Borini
Sturridge

Reserves: McLaughlin, Robinson, Coady, Lucas, Suso, Teixeira, Sterling, Ibe, Yesil

I can't see us making 10 signings for the first team. That's a Champ style overhaul, which never happens at clubs without mad billionaire owners.

Also, seeing as Valdes is staying at Barca for another year, who is going to sign Reina?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom