• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Why are we getting done on the counter...missing Gini?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wait wait wait....wasn't the general consensus here that Wijnaldum was a useless ghost that never did anything for the club?
Now we suddenly miss him?!

LOL

Last edited:
he did a lot of the defensive work which is not often lauded
covering space/positioning, stopping counterattacks, tracking runners, winning second balls
a bit of the hamann'esque work

and he was always available

he did a lot of the defensive work which is not often lauded
covering space/positioning, stopping counterattacks, tracking runners, winning second balls
a bit of the hamann'esque work

and he was always available

Great points...I think there are some that are ignorant or willfully loathe to admit that Gini role was integral to the way we played. He was never 'visually defensively spectacular' in Kante style manner but his tirelessness, strength and tactical/positional awareness were a constant reason why we performed so well.

I find it really lame when people bring up the fact that Gini didn't play well last season, like the season where our defence was decimated and we had to play midfielders in defence at times? As if anyone played well last season!

I knew we would miss Gini in some capacity, injuries that we are experiencing seem to be making the midfield perform worse. Hopefully, this season doesn't turn out to be a 'mini' version repeat of last season only with midfielders. Last season we didn't replace Lovren and it bit us in the ass, hopefully not replacing Gini won't have the same effect... If I remember right last season we actually did really well, I think we were top on Christmas day and then fell off a cliff... this season we have to factor in the African players going to AFCON fingers are crossed I hope we can make it through.

Wait wait wait....wasn't the general consensus here that Wijnaldum was a useless ghost that never did anything for the club?
Now we suddenly miss him?!

LOL

I think that was a minority view actually. Most were either ambivalent or wanted him to stay, I reckon.

I think only me and Modo were the 2 that wanted him to fuck off when we knew him and his agent were trying to hold the club ransom.

The rest just didn't give a shit.

& almost 4 months down the line, regardless of this shit thread, that has not changed/

Nah, I wanted him to stay and didn't see any point in getting rid without a replacement.

I didn’t care whether he stayed or left - he’s replaceable.

The problem wasn’t him leaving - it’s was not replacing him when he left.

The only mitigation against not bring someone in was the player we wanted was not available and that’s better than bringing in someone substandard that we didn’t want.

I do remember 18 months ago loads on here saying they would be happy seeing Gini leave if it meant Thiago coming in as his replacement. As it was that happened with the added bonus of an extra 12 months of Gini.

Hindsight would say that Thiago's injury record has meant the "replacement" hasn't been as effective as folks were assuming, but that is only based on hindsight - at the time people were in favour of the approach.

So to say Gini wasn't replaced isn't strictly true, to say he wasn't adequately replaced may be valid

I do remember 18 months ago loads on here saying they would be happy seeing Gini leave if it meant Thiago coming in as his replacement. As it was that happened with the added bonus of an extra 12 months of Gini.

Hindsight would say that Thiago's injury record has meant the "replacement" hasn't been as effective as folks were assuming, but that is only based on hindsight - at the time people were in favour of the approach.

So to say Gini wasn't replaced isn't strictly true, to say he wasn't adequately replaced may be valid

In that case.... it’s about time we replaced Adam Lallana.

We did Oxlade chamberlain. One who has some skill and is injured more often than not.

Well... we signed Ox a lot earlier.

To be fair... Thiago, it could be argued, is a like-for-like replacement for Lallana - silky midfield skills that we never see cause he fucking injured.

I liked Gini - he was a decent player - just not irreplaceable.

In the same way that selling Lovren wasn’t a bad idea - but replacing him with air wasn’t a good idea... so... selling ghostie and replacing him with something even less incorporeal was wrong.

We ended up registering Karius to play in the Premier League.. because we ran out of players to register.

why didn’t we hang on to Gruijic, if we weren’t buying anyone?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom