• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Why does Clint Dempsey never get mentioned?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree. Dempsey is under-rated, bearing in mind that he scores goals without getting the quality of service he would have at a bigger club.

[quote author=Shadey link=topic=48395.msg1468456#msg1468456 date=1327228958]
At the moment anyone could do better than Carroll in a red shirt
[/quote]
This.

[quote author=Shadey link=topic=48395.msg1468456#msg1468456 date=1327228958]
At the moment anyone could do better than Carroll in a red shirt
[/quote]

This x2

Sent from my Nokia 3310 using sausage fingers

He behaved like an absolute tit the last time we played Fulham, but I thought he was a decent player a couple of years ago and he's obviously still doing well. He's brave, for one thing, and apart from Bellamy we seem to have timid forwards at present.

Versatile too - can play wide or up front, good with his head as well as on the ground. We were actually linked with him when Hodgson was in charge. Some on here derided the idea, and (despite all the other rubbish going on at the time) I couldn't understand why. Perhaps it was because of their previous association, but I thought that might have been one of Hodgson's better notions for a change.

If we'd got him around the time of the last world cup it would have been a great signing. On form or off, he's positive, aggressive and as hard as nails. Maybe it's how American kids are coached these days - Marc Pelosi has a similar attitude.

[quote author=gkmacca link=topic=48395.msg1468497#msg1468497 date=1327232734]
He's brave, for one thing, and apart from Bellamy we seem to have timid forwards at present.
[/quote]

I thought that was very obvious during the Bolton match. Bellamy was the only forward with balls. Ironic that Kenny really bought him as a squad player.

[quote author=gkmacca link=topic=48395.msg1468517#msg1468517 date=1327233924]
If we'd got him around the time of the last world cup it would have been a great signing. On form or off, he's positive, aggressive and as hard as nails. Maybe it's how American kids are coached these days - Marc Pelosi has a similar attitude.
[/quote]

They've always been good athletes, but more of them are playing here and in Europe now and I reckon that's put the necessary iron in their souls.

They seem very rounded players (no Adam jokes!). All the boxes are ticked - fitness, lifestyle, technique, attitude, etc. Whereas young British players seem to need to sort out half the whole package.

In the US if you go into football its because you love the game because you are almost guaranteed to make more money in every other sport (and most professions). That helps as a starting point. In addition, I believe the professional athlete has a longer standing tradition here and creates far less boozers and troublesome types.

He's a player that flatters . Maybe he's having a good spell, but very inconsistent. God no - worse than baros!

He's a slightly better than average player who's currently having an indian summer.

I fully expect that hidden-talent-finding mothercuker Comolli to advocate us paying 25M for him in the summer.

I like Clint Dempsey in general, and he was even referenced by me recently, as the sort of completely uninspired shit purchase we'd make, rather than unearthing a gem from where gems are most often unearthed in the world of football, which would not be the UK or US.

Don't our scouts like travelling? They used to like Spain and I was cool with that.

[quote author=Portly link=topic=48395.msg1468437#msg1468437 date=1327226270]
I agree. Dempsey is under-rated, bearing in mind that he scores goals without getting the quality of service he would have at a bigger club.
[/quote]

But that has been the mantra for all signings we make. As soon as they get their deserved service they will shine even brighter?

[quote author=Insignificance link=topic=48395.msg1469026#msg1469026 date=1327309514]
[/quote]

But that has been the mantra for all signings we make. As soon as they get their deserved service they will shine even brighter?
[/quote]

First you have to provide the service. If you take Andy Carroll as an example, it would be hard to argue that he has been provided with excellent service since we signed him.

[quote author=Portly link=topic=48395.msg1469029#msg1469029 date=1327310662]
[quote author=Insignificance link=topic=48395.msg1469026#msg1469026 date=1327309514]
[/quote]

[/quote]

First you have to provide the service. If you take Andy Carroll as an example, it would be hard to argue that he has been provided with excellent service since we signed him.
[/quote]

Carroll is a good example. A player cant afford the luxury of be provided service without contributing himself. I give it to Big Andy that a lot of the crossing we have done when he plays is done toward one Liverpool player inside the box. Then it is quite easy to isolate him for the defenders. Andy need the service of multiple Liverpool players treathening the box so the defenders have more to worrry about.

But having said that I find his work rate too low. To often he doesnt bother to make any movement before any cross so he is not troubling the defenders. He is too often hiding behind in impossible positions. Een inside the box a clever run away from the defenders will help you.

Also too often he wanders out of the box, and even if we delay the cross he doesnt use his energy to get in there. He is behind the crosser out at the line. No need for him there.

A third thing is that he is to seldom even troubling defenders when there is a cross. They seem to get the upper hand on him far to easy. And when he have openings, like against Bolton, he doesnt seem capable of grabbing them.

There is too much that cant be blamed at poor service.

For those saying Dempsey is simply having a purple patch, in the last 2 seasons he has 21 league goals.

As for our current squad the last two seasons?

-Suarez: 16 league goals
-Bellamy: 16 league goals
-Carroll: 15 league goals
-Adam: 14 league goals
-Kuyt: 13 league goals
-Maxi: 12 league goals
-Downing: 7 league goals
-Gerrard: 6 league goals

I think I have mentioned him before - he first came to my attention when I saw him play in a world cup match when America had to take on Italy, he was outstanding in that game. One of the things about football is that certain clubs need certain types of players to take them to the next level or improve the overall capability of the team, these players don't need to be world beaters but they can make huge difference to the current squad. He is one of those players - but we would not buy someone like him readily. Remember when we bought Steve Finan and recently Enrique ?- they were not that expensive overall but they certainly make a difference to our team that is good. We just need to do that.

large-2.jpeg

U.S. international Clint Dempsey is coming off the best year of his career, scoring 23 goals in all competitions for Fulham and finishing as the Premier League's joint fourth best scorer (17 goals). It's a good time for reflection on all he's accomplished in his 29 years and a Twitter user helped him remember back to the days before he was an internationally known footballer by sharing an old yearbook picture and quote.

In the image, which Dempsey shared with his followers, a very confident looking, teenage Clint Dempsey at Nacogdoches High School in Texas responded to the question, "Where do you hope to be five years from now?" by saying, "Playing professional soccer in Europe."

After three years playing for Furman University and another three years playing for the New England Revolution in MLS, Dempsey fulfilled that dream in a still very impressive six years (hey -- he's a footballer, not a psychic). And when he looks back on all the hard work he's put into going from a small town in Texas to the Premier League, he probably smiled the exact same way he did in that picture.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom