• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Why we don't need new signings this summer

Status
Not open for further replies.

rurikbird

Part of the Furniture
Honorary Member
Every offseason people say that this transfer window is going to be the most important one ever. But it cannot possibly be true, can it? Some transfer windows are indeed crucial and important, some are less so. I am going to argue that this summer's window is the least consequential in a long time for us. In fact (and I know that's not going to be a popular opinion here), I wouldn't have a problem if we didn't sign any players at all.

There are two reasons for that. First of all, the times when we were "2-3 world-class players away from the title" are over. Rafa's team is all but destroyed. Even Rafa himself, if he were to be appointed the next manager, would have to start essentially a new project rather than continue building on his own foundations. Some of the players he signed are still with us (Agger, Lucas, Kuyt, Skrtel), but it's just bits and pieces now, not a team, not a recognizable style and philosophy of football. Not a foundation. Hodgson's short reign is all but forgotten and Kenny's hugely expensive rebuilding last season was objectively a failure. His new signings diluted the delicious pass-and-move football of second half of 2010-11 season with a heavy doze of percentage football which proved to be an undrinkable cocktail.

The reason FSG were looking for someone like Rodgers is clear - they wanted a fresh start. A young hungry manager with new ideas, no baggage, and no loyalties and special relationships with current players. Most importantly, they wanted someone who could implement a new football philosophy at the club based on modern post-Barca tactical trends like possession, pass-and-move, total pressing, and formation fluidity. It's interesting that Rodgers, despite being hugely influenced by Mourinho, seems to be much more in the Bielsa-Guardiola camp tactically (same could be said about Martinez, while AVB seems to be closer to Mourinho's tactical model). It's also interesting to note that, despite those differences, Mourinho seems to hold Rodgers in higher regard than AVB.

A change of football philosophy and style is by far the greatest single change a football team can go through. A new paradigm is established, old assumptions are revisited and sometimes reversed, the qualities that were emphasized under the old philosophy lose importance, while those that were hidden become newly emphasized. Imagine a player like Xavi Hernandez playing for a team managed by Roy Hodgson, going through endless defensive drills, watching the ball fly over his head in games and worrying if his lack of pace and tackling skills (not to mention his lack of height) will jeopardize his place in the team. Suddenly, Guardiola is appointed and he tells the players that he is looking for completely different qualities, such as ability to pass and think quickly and creatively, run tirelessly and press high up the pitch instead of holding 2 narrow lines of defense near your own area. And he doesn't give flying crap about height because he wants to keep the ball on the ground at all times... What was good is now bad, and what was bad is now good.

I believe there are 3 different tactical structures/philosophies competing at the highest levels of football coaching thought today:
1) A counter-attacking model, emphasizing closing down space (instead of pressing) in defense and creating space in attack by inviting opponent's attacks, then exploiting it with lightning-quick counter-attacks and vertical passes (let's call it the Italian model, although it's practiced by many non-Italians, such as Mourinho)
2) A fluid pressing model, emphasizing possession, "triangle offense", constant interchange of positions and "controlled chaos", pressing high up the pitch, de-emphasizing speed (the Spanish/Catalan model, Guardiola-Bielsa etc)
3) A rigid pressing model, emphasizing balance between attack and counter-attack, rigid formation with well-defined roles of each player (usually 4-2-3-1), also pressing high up the pitch (the German/Spanish model, Klopp-Rafa-Loew-Emery etc)

All 3 systems can deliver results; I don't think any of those systems is necessarily "better" than others. It all depends on the execution. Of course the balance of power and the dominant trends can change with every season and every won and lost trophy. After a few seasons of domination by the Spanish/Catalan model, this season the Italian model is back with a vengeance, so far winning the CL, La Liga and the Premiership (as well as Serie A, of course), German/Spanish model has had some limited success (Dortmund in BL and Bayern in CL, Atletico?), while Spanish/Catalan model lost not only competitions, but also it's most visible proponents (Guardiola in Spain and Enrique in Italy). However, there is a new crop of young managers who were influenced by Barca's recent success and are eager to pick up the banner. One of them has just been appointed to manage Liverpool...

This has been a lengthy detour but I think it was important to explain why I think a style/philosophy change is such a big deal. In essence, we will be moving from the remnants of Rafa's rigid 4-2-3-1 to something much more fluid, something along the lines of Barca-style 4-3-3/3-4-3. That's a big fucking deal. I am amazed how little club owners know/care about things like that, and how often the get burned by their own ignorance. Moratti gives us a classic example that will go down in history of inept management: after Mourinho (system 1) you invite Rafa (3), then Gasperini (local version of 2)? All within a calendar year? You couldn't possibly devise a better scheme to fuck up a great treble-winning Inter team for the long, medium and short term if you tried.

So, why do I say I'll be OK with no new players? Well, in essence, because all the players at LFC will be new to Rodgers and his system will be new to them. It's hard to predict who is going to respond well and who won't. Like I said before, new system will bring out strengths that were hidden in some players and render other visible strengths useless or not as useful. When you are changing the whole, how do you predict the movements of individual parts? You can't or if you can, it's only to a very limited extent. We have to be prepared for the new reality to challenge our long-standing assumptions about our players. Strengths can turn into liabilities and vise versa. I don't think anybody at the club, including Rodgers himself, can quite predict how this or that player is going to fit into the new system. So why make big, important decisions based on incomplete and unreliable assessment of the situation? Sure, we can decide, say to sell Downing or Carroll now and buy so-and-so, but who can guarantee that Downing would not find some resource in his game to be useful in the new system? Maybe he becomes a great wingback in the Dani Alves mould rather than a mediocre winger. Maybe Carroll can do what Llorente does for Bilbao and more. I can go on and on (as evidenced by the exorbitant length of this post - I apologize, I didn't really expect to write so much), but I think by now you should understand my point.

The second reason we shouldn't make big decisions this summer is more practical and has to do with hedging your bets in case they go bad. Suppose Rodgers doesn't work out, the team is in disarray by mid-season and the owners have no choice but to sack him. Wouldn't you then wish you didn't remake the whole team according to his demands before the season even started? Then the next manager will bring a different vision and a transfer target list, ship out the players from the previous regime that don't fit his vision etc etc. I sure hope that doesn't happen because that's the fastest road to Mediocristan. I want to believe in Rodgers's vision, skill and character and based on the little bit of evidence I've seen so far, I think he might be exactly what we need at this time, but let's not forget that he is essentially unproven and that the first season at LFC will be his audition as well. So if I'm FSG, I would be very cautious in this transfer window; maybe I could grab an odd player of two if I see an obvious can't-miss value on the market and of course there will be some natural ins and outs among fringe and role players. But I think NOT making a big splash in this summer transfer window is the correct strategy.

Let's give all of our current players a chance to prove themselves within the new system; let's give Rodgers a chance to prove that his new system is what this team needs. Then and only then we can make big decisions.

I can't read that, mainly because we DO need new players.

Can see where you are coming from mate, but the likes of Kuyt, Maxi and even Bellamy (he's not going to be here 2-3 yrs down the road) needs replacement. There's no need for wholesale changes. Like I mentioned in the thread regarding expectations, he'd have done well getting the best out of Kenny's signings as ell as instilling his philosophy and style of play into the team. However, like he mentioned, the process (to a title challenge) has begin. We cannot stand still. Ideas and talk can get you no where without action. Work on the pitch is one, but bringing in the right type of players to execute the plan is another too.

Some nice pieces in there Rurik, and I agree with your assessment that he can improve a lot of what we've got.

But, in order to go from 50 odd points to 80/90 odd points, we simply need a raft of much better players in the door than what we've got.

We need 2 match winners I think.

Whether that's our current bunch stepping up, or new lads I don't know. I think it'd be foolish to not improve the squad though.

It is an an interesting read all right. Would make a good enty on the SCM blog page. What happened to that idea?
New players can be easily brought in from teams that have excelled in tippy tappy. If Rodgers philosophy is shared by FSG then even if he is to fail then I expect that another manager, with similar ideals and requiring similar type players would be appointed in his place.

That's an excellent and thoughtful post rurikbird. I have to say I'd still be tempted to go for a top rate finisher though. Even if Carroll turns into a Llorente it would be nice to have a Soldado too.

lovely post. Add Aqua and Cole and we do have two new players.

Every new manager will want to sign someone though won't they, even if they are relatively cheap.

If Rodgers is the right man then this squad will be strong enough for a top 3 challenge with the addition of a bit of width.

Thats why i've always been of the opinion we only need a player or two, exceptional ones yes, but not a complete overhaul, the foundations really are there, we just need a bit of magic, for example, if we'd have signed the players Chelsea have this window, Hulk and Hazard, i'd have every confidence in us winning the league.

Some nice pieces in there Rurik, and I agree with your assessment that he can improve a lot of what we've got.

But, in order to go from 50 odd points to 80/90 odd points, we simply need a raft of much better players in the door than what we've got.

We are not going to go from 50 points to 90 in one season. Not going to happen even if we spend like City. Can we go from 50 to 70 with the players we've got? If they are playing like a cohesive team with a sense of pride and identity? Hell yes.

Let's not make new myths. Having five players in the England squad (three of them signed last summer) doesn't really fit with the idea that all of the recent signings were 'objectively' a failure. They under-performed in their first season, which is another matter, and we have yet to see how much they'll improve in the second season. With that out the way, I agree with much of the OP, but I do think it's also clear we need a player who can score goals and greater pace and creativity in midfield.

Let's not make new myths. Having five players in the England squad (three of them signed last summer) doesn't really fit with the idea that all of the recent signings were 'objectively' a failure. They under-performed in their first season, which is another matter, and we have yet to see how much they'll improve in the second season. With that out the way, I agree with much of the OP, but I do think it's also clear we need a player who can score goals and greater pace and creativity in midfield.

Macca, I actually don't think that the recent signings were "objectively" a failure. What I said was "Kenny's hugely expensive rebuilding last season was objectively a failure", meaning that the shift from the previous season's pass-and-move football with Mereiles-Maxi-Suarez-Kuyt to much more static and predictable football of Downing-Carroll-Suarez-Henderson was a clear failure. So it's less about individual players, and more about the shift in priorities and style of football that occurred before last season. If you read a little further in my post, I say that I believe every player, even Downing (who I presently dislike) has a chance to reinvent themselves and become useful in the new system.

If Rodgers is the right man then this squad will be strong enough for a top 3 challenge with the addition of a bit of width.
Yep its what we need. We have strikers, defenders and CMs. Suarez can do a role out wide. But we should be signing 2 wingers.

Macca, I actually don't think that the recent signings were "objectively" a failure. What I said was "Kenny's hugely expensive rebuilding last season was objectively a failure", meaning that the shift from the previous season's pass-and-move football with Mereiles-Maxi-Suarez-Kuyt to much more static and predictable football of Downing-Carroll-Suarez-Henderson was a clear failure. So it's less about individual players, and more about the shift in priorities and style of football that occurred before last season. If you read a little further in my post, I say that I believe every player, even Downing (who I presently dislike) has a chance to reinvent themselves and become useful in the new system.

Ah, my apologies.

Cole, Aquilani, Pacheco and Lucas to return.
Thats 4 passers if nothing else.
;)

That's an excellent and thoughtful post rurikbird. I have to say I'd still be tempted to go for a top rate finisher though. Even if Carroll turns into a Llorente it would be nice to have a Soldado too.

Sure, I'd like a top rate finisher too (who wouldn't?). Not sure if a genuine top rate finisher would find us such an attractive proposition at this point. We can probably get someone who is either old or slow or has injury or disciplinary concerns. Or isn't a genuine finisher. Maybe Rossi from Villareal could be a good option, if the long injury doesn't affect his speed.

Bellamy is a decent finisher btw, if he can maintain his form and fitness. Kuyt scores important goals, when given the chance. And Suarez has got to be way better at this than he was last season, when he tired to do everything alone. Lack of goals from midfield might be a bigger concern for me.

I wonder what Rodgers will be doing over the next few weeks. I hear he is a lover of the performance stats. I assume he will get access to our seasons numbers and he will be re-watching lots of games ETC. I wonder if he thinks he has spotted a way to do something better with our new signings or get Kuyt invoved more again
ETC.

love to be a fly on the wall there

Wow, I just noticed I've spelled our new manager's name wrong about 10 times in this post. Fixed now.

Yep its what we need. We have strikers, defenders and CMs. Suarez can do a role out wide. But we should be signing 2 wingers.

This x 1 million. Two pacy wingers who can beat players, chip in with goals and provide a constant threat in the attacking third.

I hope Rodgers will promote some of the reserves as well.
I also dont believe that some of the current players only need some tactical coaching to improve. Some are simply not good enough to start.
Maybe Im using the wrong term here but we need less "passengers" and more players like Suarez who can make a difference.
The passengers Im referring to should be obvious to you all.

Great post and well thought out. However it really doesn't matter what system we use, 2 wingers are critical. We are crying out for width and Downing is the only recognised winger that we have. We can and must do better.

Wow, I just noticed I've spelled our new manager's name wrong about 10 times in this post. Fixed now.

43BCA76B70AF48A488E85865C4265893.jpg

It's Rodgers with a D
Not Rogers with a G
Cos Rogers with a G goes ggggg
It's Rodgers with a D instead of a G
Dg instead of G
It's simple as can be
See, RODGERS!!!!!!!!!!!!

Completly agree with you Rubik. We beat Man city Arsenal and Man Utd last season,not many sides did that and we are not far off but the key has to be to get the best out of Carroll. I think any transfer budget would be better spent next season when IF we have progressed we could push on with a couple of fuck off players having cleared out a bit more of the dross. The last thing we need is more quite good players

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom