• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Poll Will Nunez come good?

Prefix for Poll Threads

Will Nunez come good?

• Yes

Votes: 40 67.8%
  • No

Votes: 9 15.3%
  • Unsure

Votes: 10 16.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think he's ace. I love his attitude. He's cost us in front of goal and that's where everyone knows he needs to improve, but he's got better and better in terms of learning how we press, how to hit teams on the break, and generally his link up play has got alot better. He was helping Robbo out loads last night and, while his passing can still be a bit hit and miss, he's capable of sublime passes at times.

His quality is there, we just need to keep harnessing it more and more and it will come. Not all traditional wingers/wide forwards are big goalscorers, people forget that prior to the kind of new trend of a front three, the wide players in successful teams rarely scored more than 10-15 a season. He can be a success and I've no doubt his goals record will improve, but we also have Jota, Diaz, Firmino, Salah and Gapko to weigh in with goals.

Gapko for me looks like the long term replacement for Firmino, while Jota will always remain a bit of an option I think. He's the one for me who's all round play is the weakest, but he's also probably the second best finisher we have. While the future looks bright with the likes of Diaz and Nunez - if we keep everyone fit. These are all fairly young lads, we've not seen the best of many of them yet, but that's the exciting beauty of it all, hopefully there is loads and loads to come from them all.

I really, really want him to come good. The signs are there, just need a breakthrough. Yesterday was perhaps his best overall performance thus far and winding up the Blueshite will certainly help get him "over" with the supporters.

If this were the Marvel Cinematic Universe, I feel like him and Tsimikas would be lined up for a spinoff film or show of their own. Perhaps with Mo as the straightman to their perfect total windup stars.

Who fucking cares Momo, he's helping us win games....all that matters.

& tbf it was Gueye he sprinted pass before releasing the pass to Mo, not Coleman.

To be fair, so far in 2023 the accurate description is "he's helped us to win... one game." Need more quality and consistency – not just from him, but everyone.

To be fair, so far in 2023 the accurate description is "he's helped us to win... one game." Need more quality and consistency – not just from him, but everyone.

Yeah it's not been a great turn of the year for various reasons, I think his quality has been on show for all to see, bit more luck in front of goal of course would be nice.

Next season with a functional midfield we'll see the best.

I’m just the realist fucker on here. He’s shite and Diaz will take his place.

I think he's ace. I love his attitude. He's cost us in front of goal and that's where everyone knows he needs to improve, but he's got better and better in terms of learning how we press, how to hit teams on the break, and generally his link up play has got alot better. He was helping Robbo out loads last night and, while his passing can still be a bit hit and miss, he's capable of sublime passes at times.

His quality is there, we just need to keep harnessing it more and more and it will come. Not all traditional wingers/wide forwards are big goalscorers, people forget that prior to the kind of new trend of a front three, the wide players in successful teams rarely scored more than 10-15 a season. He can be a success and I've no doubt his goals record will improve, but we also have Jota, Diaz, Firmino, Salah and Gapko to weigh in with goals.

Gapko for me looks like the long term replacement for Firmino, while Jota will always remain a bit of an option I think. He's the one for me who's all round play is the weakest, but he's also probably the second best finisher we have. While the future looks bright with the likes of Diaz and Nunez - if we keep everyone fit. These are all fairly young lads, we've not seen the best of many of them yet, but that's the exciting beauty of it all, hopefully there is loads and loads to come from them all.

One additional thing. While I have been very critical of him mainly due to the price tag, I have to admit that Nunez is also very likable. Not exactly a crucial characteristic for a player, but that gets the fans on his side.

He's not the brightest, but you can see he's one of us already. He wants to make it work

He's working hard, he's now creating, and with Klopp as coach the rest will come.

Likability is huge, Look at the goodwill Klopp gets

He's definitely got the cunt factor that will have other fans hating him and us liking / loving him.

He didn't set his own price tag so it's a little unfair to hold him accountable for it... but... that's how it goes. He needs to put up big(ish) numbers.

If you ignore the pricetag of all players, I want him in our squad all day long. However he is still clearly finding his best role - we've tried him as a target man and down the left. Once he settles (which I think will be down the left) I expect him to be more consistent. It'll be even easier once we have the full quota of forwards available and can use them in shorter bursts when required.

I'm not sure where he fits long-term, TBH. It depends on the balance of the side as a whole and there's just too many variables right now. I thought the initial plan was for Nunez to stretch the play through the central position, which would then allow us to accommodate someone like Gakpo, who has a different skill-set (shooting from distance, crossing, etc) to still be effective on the left. However , the Nunez injury has allowed Gakpo to settle into the central role and he's starting to look the part there. He's tall, holds the ball well, values possession and makes decent decisions on it. After the goal yesterday we also saw his ability to turn and start breaking through the lines whilst playing with his head up. This was one of the most pleasing moments of the game. Further benefits were the left side of Nunez, Bajectic and Roberson is feisty, aggressive and will fight for anything. It's giving us more balance as a side.

The downside of Nunez on the left is the fucker needs about 94 chances to score, and if anything it will give even more incentive for the opposition to attack us down our right hand side. If we are to make it work we will need to find ways to release Nunez and Salah on the counter with increased frequency, or work our patterns of play to allow Nunez and Salah to take up more central positions against compact defences. Neither are looking like they can unlock the door for us stuck out wide when teams sit back. If we're to continue with Gakpo as a false 9 then some progressive passing and getting our fullbacks up the pitch is going to be important. VVD will help with the above, but it relies on everyone else doing their jobs properly. Klopp's system is so reliant on the cogs all performing seamlessly.

As for Nunez, we just need to get him comfortable and confident in the league. He's more of a project than we hoped for, but providing Gakpo, Salah and Jota can share the goal scoring it's going to reduce the pressure and focus placed on him.

I'm not sure where he fits long-term

Unfortunately true of a few players in the squad right now.

Previously when we bought players it was very clear why a player was brought in and how they were going to fit in.

If what we're seeing now is "taking more risks in the transfer market", I think we should re-evaluate.

The time to take risks is when you have a settled team and have the time to let players bed and figure out a role for them. For us, two years ago.

Unless you're a goalkeeper, and then he's great for padding your stats by kicking the ball straight at you

Thats true for this season, but not last season. Hopefully he'll score more goals going forward.

I still think Diaz will be shifted to the right when Salah goes/ features less

I do recall a number of posters getting a bit bent out of shape when we got Salah, as he clearly played on the right and that was "Mané's position", so how the hell could that possibly work ...
I still remember people saying how Lallana would come good. "Any minute now", they said...
6 years later...
Free transfer and a plaque

When I read people using names like “Darwizzy” that’s when I want to start kicking peoples teeth in.

So says "Dirty Sanchez"
I can call myself whatever I like - and I deserve a slap no doubt. But to coin the moniker “Darwizzy” for someone else? That’s teeth kicking territory.
“Tom” “Brown” if that is indeed your real name. Sounds a bit fancy and far-fetched to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom