• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Will we really buy a striker? (In January)

Status
Not open for further replies.

mark1975

I'm finding this one hard to decipher. We need goals, we all know that, we need someone who can score consistently when Sturridge isn't there, but also to supplement him too.

So where does that leave the rest? If we buy, for a club that likes to play with one man as the main striker - we can argue all day about different options for different games, diamond fomations, blah blah, but by and large, we play with one out and out forward. That's why Mario has been stupidly left up there for weeks and shown up for what he is.

We also have Lambert, Borini and also Origi on the way in. Lambert was never a "longterm" signing, there are reports of Borini maybe going to Sunderland (again), and Origi is a fairly big prospect with a relatively big price tag for his age and pedigree. So for the short to longterm we have Origi, Sturridge and Balotelli. I can't see Rodgers admitting the latter as a write off so soon, you'd imagine we're going to at least persevere until the Summer.

Taking into account our front "three" then, with one forward and two attackers either side. We have the following to choose from:

Sturridge
Balotelli
Sterling
Lallana
Markovic
Coutinho
Lambert
Borini
and Origi (and Jordan Ibe)

That's why I can't see it in January. I can see us scrapping around for a short-term loan move, unless the club finance someone with a view to wholesale changes in the Summer, with Lambert, Borini and Mario going.

The other option/worry is that Rodgers, instead of identifying a goal machine, will opt for a wide forward who will only chip in, rather than weigh in. He's been linked with enough of them.

The only feasible "out" for January is Borini, the rest are here until the Summer at least, that leaves us with a few unhappy souls in the squad to tiptoe around until the Summer, not that I give a shit, if they'd done it on the pitch, this wouldn't be the situation.

It seems Lambert is destined to last a season and be released having hardly played at all. He's looked horrendous pretty much every time he's taken to the field for us.

I wouldn't expect us to sign a striker in Jan. The only option (as you say Mark) is a short term move, because we've got Origi coming in the summer and he's not being brought in to be a plucky prospect for the future, he's being brought in to play alongside or in place of Sturridge. Balotelli at that point effectively takes Lambert's role - a striker with different qualities who can either be thrown on to change things up or start up front in a two (assuming he improves when Sturridge is back fit). That leaves Lambert and Borini - the latter I can't see staying and the former I can only see staying for another season at most. The 4th choice spot kind of depends on whether Yesil and/or Sinclair are able to make the step up in the next couple of years.

We'll buy one next summer. Actually we'll probably buy a number 10 as opposed to a "striker".

Borini will have been sold to some Italian club, Balotelli to Fenerbahce for 10M, and Lambert to Burnley. That leaves us with the perennially injured Sturridge and a kid in Origi. We'll need at least 1 forward option.

We'll buy one next summer. Actually we'll probably buy a number 10 as opposed to a "striker".

Borini will have been sold to some Italian club, Balotelli to Fenerbahce for 10M, and Lambert to Burnley. That leaves us with the perennially injured Sturridge and a kid in Origi. We'll need at least 1 forward option.

We do, but this was my point, aside from Borini, we're more or less stuck with the others until the Summer, so will we buy big in January? I don't see it myself and I think there will be alot of fucked off supporters (even more so than there is now).

Don't think we'll get/look for a striker but maybe someone like Shaqiri.... or those Ukrainians Konoplyanka and Yarmelenko

What's the deal with Vargas at QPR? I know he's on a season long loan from Napoli but why don't Napoli want him? He's looked very impressive when I've seen him, he reminds me a bit of Suarez i.e. very tenacious, skillful, scores goals. Is he available, can we buy him from Napoli (or swap him for Balotelli) in January?

What's the deal with Vargas at QPR? I know he's on a season long loan from Napoli but why don't Napoli want him? He's looked very impressive when I've seen him, he reminds me a bit of Suarez i.e. very tenacious, skillful, scores goals. Is he available, can we buy him from Napoli (or swap him for Balotelli) in January?
No more Italians!!!

I do expect us to buy a striker in January. It must be blindingly obvious to FSG and BR, despite the crap that's feed to the media, that Sturridge can not be depended on to stay healthy, that Mario may or may not come good for us but that it's unlikely, that Borini is not good enough though decent enough at #4 for now and that Lambert, I am very very sorry to say, is never going to offer us much/anything we can rely on.

So :

January : Borini goes and we get ourselves a shiny new striker. We have, according to the Echo, scouted Doumbia (sp) 5 times so far and he looks right for us, pacey (read: blindingly fast), knows where the net is and won't break the bank.

Summer 15 : A player like Firmino will replace Lambert. Origi comes to town. Maybe Shaqiri too ?

Summer 16 : Proven striker replaces Mario who by now can hardly get a spot on the bench.

We start the 2016/17 season with : Sturridge, Doumbia, Origi, Proven Striker and have Firmino (or another of his ilk), Sterling, Ibe, Suso, Markovic (who is now pulling up trees), Lallana and maybe Shaqiri or a youth who has broken through (or been bought, a la Odegaard or Roberts) in behind / across / wings.

I enjoyed that. Feel much better now !

I do expect us to buy a striker in January. It must be blindingly obvious to FSG and BR, despite the crap that's feed to the media, that Sturridge can not be depended on to stay healthy, that Mario may or may not come good for us but that it's unlikely, that Borini is not good enough though decent enough at #4 for now and that Lambert, I am very very sorry to say, is never going to offer us much/anything we can rely on.

So :

January : Borini goes and we get ourselves a shiny new striker. We have, according to the Echo, scouted Doumbia (sp) 5 times so far and he looks right for us, pacey (read: blindingly fast), knows where the net is and won't break the bank.

Summer 15 : A player like Firmino will replace Lambert. Origi comes to town. Maybe Shaqiri too ?

Summer 16 : Proven striker replaces Mario who by now can hardly get a spot on the bench.

We start the 2016/17 season with : Sturridge, Origi, Doumbia, Proven Striker and have Firmino (or another of his ilk), Sterling, Ibe, Suso, Markovic (who is now pulling up trees), Lallana and maybe Shaqiri or a youth who has broken through (or been bought, a la Odegaard or Roberts) in behind / across / wings.

I enjoyed that. Feel much better now !

Actually, I asked this question either during the summer or first couple of weeks in the season.

Origi is the big question/answer/problem IMO. As Mark says, he's not coming here to be ab option. Rodgers sees him as the real deal, an out and out superstar. He's already suggested he'll be one of the best in the world.

If he is then we'll have two great goal scorer's (one regularly injured) plus a high profile striker who may be good all in the squad next season. Unfortunately we won't know if this kid is "all that" until after the summer window is closed. If he's not then the first half of next season is likely to be a repeat of this one - disastrous.

I think Rodgers took a calculated gamble that he'd get through this season with Sturridge and Mario. It's failed for exactly the reasons we said a new striker was imperative.

If he doesn't resolve that vulnerability in January then another Sturridge injury will see us finish mid-table. That will hurt us in many ways.

As Ryan says, a number 10 is really what we're looking for. Shaqiri would be a fantastic buy (assuming Reus is impossible) and we really should have tested Bayern's resolve more during the summer.

I really hope we don't raid West Bromwich to solve the problem in Jan. Good player but we need someone who can add goals without Sturridge or, equally, complement him when both are fit.

Even if Origi is Sterling good, he's hardly going to be the messiah. Kid's19, and still figuring out how to be productive. Quarter of a season gone and he still has only 4 goals to his name so far. If he gets to about 15, he'll have had an excellent season. Even so, we can hardly hope to be reliant on him next season.

This guy on the other hand:

He'd be so good next to Sturridge. 15-18 million should get it done as well.

We desperately need to buy in January, if not we will be out of the CL club never mind being title contenders. For me Balotelli has to go, he has been even shitter than expected, he is not improving and he doesn't make the effort required for our system, even the manager said he would categorically not be a Liverpool player. Borinis chance has also dried up, 8 goals in 2½ years is not Liverpool striker standard, if not Balotelli then he'll have to go.
Then spend what it takes to get the AM Firmino, He looks all of what Suarez looked like at the same age, although he hasn't bitten anyone yet. His skills are improving steadily, full of running and wanting to go forward and create, which is what we are lacking. He scored 16 and assisted 12 last season and alongside Sturridge, Sterling and Origi he would be amazeballs. His Hoffenheim scored the 3rd most Bundesliga goals last year, 72, but also conceded the joint 2nd most, 70. At 23 his value is rocketing(c.a. £20m), we should get in there in January, to guarantee that £60m from next years CL in order to keep building next year.
Now, someone please call Mr. Rodgers and tell him we fixed it.

Edit: Borinis goal tally includes 7 for Sunderland

Two points - Origi is young as mish says. A couple of my mates went to watch the blueshite in France recently. I asked how he faired, their answer was that he was great for the first 15 minutes or so, then Jagielka sussed him out and he did fuck all for the rest of the match. We need someone who can carry the side at times, which is a big ask for a 19 year old, someone who will create out of nothing and weigh in.

That leads me onto the next point about a no. 10. We need one that scores goals, it's all well and good having a linchpin, a fulcrum in behind, but when Sturridge isn't there it'll be a problem if the catalyst, so to speak, isn't a big goal scorer. We had alot of players last season who "could" play that role, Suarez, Coutinho and Sterling all had a go, but there was always a striker available infront. This season we've seen how blunt players like Coutinho can be, without that player playing off him.

Two points - Origi is young as mish says. A couple of my mates went to watch the blueshite in France recently. I asked how he faired, their answer was that he was great for the first 15 minutes or so, then Jagielka sussed him out and he did fuck all for the rest of the match. We need someone who can carry the side at times, which is a big ask for a 19 year old, someone who will create out of nothing and weigh in.

That leads me onto the next point about a no. 10. We need one that scores goals, it's all well and good having a linchpin, a fulcrum in behind, but when Sturridge isn't there it'll be a problem if the catalyst, so to speak, isn't a big goal scorer.

There's a general lack of goals in the team that needs to be addressed - from a number 10 as you say, but also from a number 8 and a wide attacker.

Hmmmm, he looks like the type of striker who would thrive playing against us every week rather than necessarily for us. [emoji6]

Lacazette? 21 goals last season, and 11 already this season.

I don't think he has absolute world class potential; but I can see him as a very good 15-18 goal-a-season PL striker.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom