• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Will we really buy a striker? (In January)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Will FSG back the manager, they have shown themselves to be ruthless before, I really don't see them giving Rodgers any more cash for players until next summer.
No doubt Origi will ultimately be a good player but he has only scored 9 goals in 51 appearances in 3 years in the French league. The prospect of him tearing up the PL next season is heavily optimistic if you ask me.

I think it'd be crazy to not buy one because Origi will be here next season. He's likely to need some time to settle, and he's only a kid. We've got Balotelli and Lambert who are both likely to not offer much this season or next, and Sturridge who can't be relied on. Even if Origi hits the ground running, we still need another option.

I think we're all pretty unanimous on that, but will we? I don't know.

If we are unanimous then I'm confident the club would be as well. The only doubt will be whether we can attract someone talented enough to come in and make a significant difference between now and the summer. If they take 3 months to settle then it will have been a wasted exercise.

We've done some very good shopping in January previously. We need to do so again

Jackson Martinez has 12 in 15 for Porto this season. I know we were linked to him in the past. I wouldn't have thought he would cost a fortune but considering how in form he is right now he would probably cost at least 20 million.

dYSRkEM.png

Origi can and does play out wide so I don't think his presence in the squad precludes us from buying a striker.

The big question is not Origi but Balotelli.

Rodgers doesn't seem particularly inclined to change things to accommodate him all of which suggests he doesn't see him as a long-term option. Alternatively there is the less likely (or more naive, depending which way you choose to view the situation) scenario that he thinks Balotelli can fundamentally change the way he plays over time.

So there is a problem with movement up top and there is a problem with how Balotelli plays and how the team would like their striker(s) to play. The other big issue that so far hasn't quite been called out is that we have too many tippy tappy creators and not enough players that can go make something happen. Those players don't have to be traditional strikers as Suarez, for example, played all over the show. But his departure has left us really short, as we know, particularly in light of Sturridge's long absence. It's left Sterling having to shoulder all of that responsibility and that's taken it's toll.

We tried to get Sanchez in the summer who isn't a striker by trade but that type of player, dynamic and hungry for goals. We looked at Shaqiri who in some respects is similar. It feels like we looked at all these players and for one reason or another ended up with Markovic who unfortunately isn't quite ready to make an impact. It'd be really interesting to know whether management knew that would be the case or whether it's come as a rather nasty surprise. Either way, it's been hugely damaging because it's left us really short.

We need to resolve the issue of how the forward line is set up. If it includes Balotelli then we need two dynamic players alongside him that are prepared and able to run in behind and get into the box. Lallana is not one of those players and as a result is looking like a luxury purchase regardless of any qualities he may have. Markovic we've discussed.

Lambert might be okay in a functioning team but in his case, unfortunate as it may be, I'd just almost disregard him for the time being. He seems happy enough sitting about waiting for the odd appearance so leave him to it for now. That leaves Borini who currently appears to be our best option, which is a pretty damning indictment of where we find ourselves, but he's not good enough, never will be and for the money he can raise, we can get someone who would be better suited to us.

So yeah, it's a bit of a balancing act between our short-term needs and long-term strategy.

I'd try and get a pacey forward who can play wide and has a proven knack for scoring goals. This is a player that is always useful no matter what system you play or which players you have. We fucked this up in the summer so let's try and put it right now. We can then worry about the striker situation in the summer with a better idea of how Markovic, Lallana, Balotelli and the various other question marks fit into our future.

Largely agree, but will Borini be willing to go? If he won't and we need that money to buy a replacement, we'll be up the proverbial.

It's a good post. The creative player issue is particularly spot on though Mario and Sturridge are supposed to meet that need and Origi is expected to do so. Sterling too.

We actually look to have the right pieces - they just seem to be in the wrong puzzles at present.

I still don't think that's the way management sees it though and I think they're going to pursue the idea they can get through till next season. Watching that plan fail is going to make for miserable viewing.

Every time I see Origi play, I'm not convinced.

He's like a Babel at Ajax, in which he looks sexy and promising but turns out to be mediocre at best.
(note the 'a' - i.e. not implying that he's similar to Babel in playing style or that he plays like him)

That French Lucozade (sic) guy however......now he looks like da bomb. The rest of the pretenders - i'm not convinced.

I'd be very surprised if we bought a striker in January. Can't see it happening.

As for a "decent" "established" striker, forget about it.

Every time I see Origi play, I'm not convinced.

He's like a Babel at Ajax, in which he looks sexy and promising but turns out to be mediocre at best.
(note the 'a' - i.e. not implying that he's similar to Babel in playing style or that he plays like him)

That French Lucozade (sic) guy however......now he looks like da bomb. The rest of the pretenders - i'm not convinced.
He's nothing like Babel.

Largely agree, but will Borini be willing to go? If he won't and we need that money to buy a replacement, we'll be up the proverbial.

Poyet is apparently meeting with the owners this week to discuss their January targets and apparently Borini hasn't been ruled out. Borini's agent echoed similar too a few weeks back, so we'll see. I hope he goes tbh, but it'll be pretty frustrating if he goes for a few million less than what he was going for in the Summer. I wouldn't be surprised if that's Sunderland's gameplan.

He's nothing like Babel.

Yeah, I don't see that either, he much more a hardworking, difficult to play against Striker, hopefully more in the mould of a Drogba than a Babel, he's got a long way to go to prove anything though at the minute.

Shit goalkeeping but a decent strike.
Loved his little change of pace and that shuffle before shooting was sexy.

Here's the goal he scored tonight for Belgium, with his weaker foot.

He scored a similar one too, can't remember if it was for Belgium or Lille though, he's definitely full of power and he's direct, could be what we need, certainly as an option at first anyway and he makes alot of runs from deep, powering forward, which is different to anything we've got and a massive improvement on Balotelli or Lambert lumbering around.

He's got a lot to his game but certainly not the full package. Rodgers talks about him being potentially the best in the world which I think looks a big stretch.

I do, however, very much like the swagger. He's got a conference about him - arrogance even - which I reckon is imperative in a striker but he's got a work ethic as well.

He's got a lot to his game but certainly not the full package. Rodgers talks about him being potentially the best in the world which I think looks a big stretch.

I do, however, very much like the swagger. He's got a conference about him - arrogance even - which I reckon is imperative in a striker but he's got a work ethic as well.

Balotelli has arrogance and a swagger.

I think the timing is right to take the call on bringing Ibe back. He has had some experience playing at the top of the table. We are going no where fast this season. So no excuse notto give him a shot and see what the kid is made off. Six months will not set him back in his development by all that much as well.

It seems to me the that calling Ibe back is the rational decision to make rather than going in to the transfer market at a tough time.

We will buy ourselves some time to assess our current squad and determine what type of players should be brought in for the next season....at the very least.

All that Suarez money should be spent on a world-class player, not a bunch of average joes.

We should go all out for Marco Reus.

He shits over everyone else mentioned in this thread.

I'd take Reus in a heartbeat and as quickly as anybody on here. Have thought he was a star for years. That said, I reckon the transfer fees will be similar between Reus and Shaqiri while the end product will not be that different. Reus is certainly the better player but I reckon the Bayern man suits our style even better. He's such a busy, hard running player with genuine quality and goals.

Competition to sign him won't be close to the international circus that Reus' s signature will be either.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom