• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

World Cup hangover

Status
Not open for further replies.

MomoWASright

If you take me seriously then you’re an idiot
Does anyone think the big premier league teams will suffer a post World Cup hangover?

We will have Henderson, TAA and Lovren coming back late which I don’t think will have too much of an effect on us. We have at least Clyne and can still put out a strong midfield without Henderson. We still need a centre half as the drop off from VVD is massive and Lovren is the best of the rest.

City (despite their millions off players) are badly effected. De Bruyne, Kompany, Sterling, Stones and Walker would be part of their normal starting XI.

Man U will be missing Fellaini, Lukaku, Rashford, Lindguard and Jones. Chelsea will miss Hazard, courtois (if he stays) and Giroud.

Spurs will be hit worst of all. Kane and Alli will be massive losses despite the whole Kane doesn’t score in August crap. They also have vertongen, alderweireld and lloris having an extended holiday.

Could we gain an advantage early in the season?

I remember Carragher saying when he and others came back from the World Cup it didn't affect them to begin with, it was about late September/early October when they felt they'd hit a wall and started feeling flat and jaded. So hopefully Spurs will suffer that. I'm slightly concerned about TAA because he'll return having not had a proper pre-season and not having played, either. He'll be the one who'll need his own training schedule. But Hendo's position will be the most interesting: by the time he returns, we'll have been playing Keita and Fabinho and one other, presumably Milner, in our midfield, and unless one of those has started slowly, Hendo will be facing a bit of a battle to get back into the team - especially if he returns as burnt-out as I'd expect, given how intensely he's played (and his thigh was strapped up after yesterday's game). Part of him will realise he needs the longest break of all our players, and part of him will be anxious to rush back.

If it hits every big club then the smaller clubs will have a greater chance of an upset, so that wouldn't be irrelevant.

I remember Carragher saying when he and others came back from the World Cup it didn't affect them to begin with, it was about late September/early October when they felt they'd hit a wall and started feeling flat and jaded. So hopefully Spurs will suffer that. I'm slightly concerned about TAA because he'll return having not had a proper pre-season and not having played, either. He'll be the one who'll need his own training schedule. But Hendo's position will be the most interesting: by the time he returns, we'll have been playing Keita and Fabinho and one other, presumably Milner, in our midfield, and unless one of those has started slowly, Hendo will be facing a bit of a battle to get back into the team - especially if he returns as burnt-out as I'd expect, given how intensely he's played (and his thigh was strapped up after yesterday's game). Part of him will realise he needs the longest break of all our players, and part of him will be anxious to rush back.

Dunno specifics but I'd have thought TAA training but not playing would keep him ticking over nicely. It's not like it's been a lad's drinking holiday over there like they used to be.

Dunno specifics but I'd have thought TAA training but not playing would keep him ticking over nicely. It's not like it's been a lad's drinking holiday over there like they used to be.

Yes, although there's little real training going on with the core group of players, mainly just recovery and tactical, so I'm not sure what other work Trent's doing there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom