• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Xabi Alonso

Christ, what a goal by Xhaka. Pulls his hammy scoring?

Not sure about the keeper there.

Well well well. 1-1

Former Leverkusen player with a tremendous header. Could be off.... Stands.

Last edited:
Been impressed with Mainz here, really trying to squeeze up and they carry a threat on the counter/from set pieces.

Sepp's won all his headers so far.

Slip by him there which Leverkusen almost score from, good stop.

Last edited:
I think the main issue you can learn from all this when reading about Bayern and how they go through managers, is that there seem to be a set culture within the club with former players and Bavaria in general. If you dont play a certain type of football, behave in a certain way or just dont win in a way that is acceptable - then you're out.
There isnt much of a loyalty or culture in giving managers time to build something. Its winning at all costs and mainly short term.
Thats why I think its an awful job to take as a young manager. Nagelsmann was booted out after 20 months with a win percentage of 71%, 10 losses in 84 games and winning the league in his first season.

If Xabi want to build something long term and stamp his own mark on tactics, football and vision then Bayern isnt the place to be.
Hence why I dont think he wants to go there if given the choice between us and Bayern.

I don’t disagree with any of that, but Ibthink you’re understating the attraction of Bayern.

Sure, there’s a chance to build a long term project at Liverpool, the foundations are good in that there’s a group of exceptional players, good pros with great attitudes, no dickheads and a very talented group of kids coming through. Add to that stable ownership group that don’t interfere with footballing decisions and will back the manager financially with a reasonable amount of financial resources.

He’d also get time at Liverpool.

So in 3 years, while signing a contract extension, Xabi would likely be able to show off his one League Cup Winners medal and talk about his top 4 finishes and runs to the QF of the CL.

Or he could go to Bayern, get sacked after 3 years for drawing against Bochum at home, but have 3 BL titles, 3 Pokal winner medals, 3 German super Cups and likely the german equivalent of a (Richie) partridge in a pear tree - at which point he’ll have his pick of whatever job he pretty much wants, including the Liverpool job.

I’m not Xabi though - I just wouldn’t discount so easily that he might go to Bayern - maybe he likes witbier & marzen?

That's embarrassing for any professional keeper nevermind 1 playing in the top tier.

Was probably gonna take something like that to get another goal because Mainz were keeping them out pretty comfortably.

That's embarrassing for any professional keeper nevermind 1 playing in the top tier.

Was probably gonna take something like that to get another goal because Mainz were keeping them out pretty comfortably.
Well at least it want a mistake from Sepp

Surprised Mainz are way down there, this game defo hasn't felt like top v (2nd) bottom.

2-1 win, 11 points clear and a new German record in unbeaten games.

I’d say that winning the league with Leverkusen makes it even less likely that he goes to Bayern.

I don’t disagree with any of that, but Ibthink you’re understating the attraction of Bayern.

Sure, there’s a chance to build a long term project at Liverpool, the foundations are good in that there’s a group of exceptional players, good pros with great attitudes, no dickheads and a very talented group of kids coming through. Add to that stable ownership group that don’t interfere with footballing decisions and will back the manager financially with a reasonable amount of financial resources.

He’d also get time at Liverpool.

So in 3 years, while signing a contract extension, Xabi would likely be able to show off his one League Cup Winners medal and talk about his top 4 finishes and runs to the QF of the CL.

Or he could go to Bayern, get sacked after 3 years for drawing against Bochum at home, but have 3 BL titles, 3 Pokal winner medals, 3 German super Cups and likely the german equivalent of a (Richie) partridge in a pear tree - at which point he’ll have his pick of whatever job he pretty much wants, including the Liverpool job.

I’m not Xabi though - I just wouldn’t discount so easily that he might go to Bayern - maybe he likes witbier & marzen?

It was reported today by some journos following Leverkusen that the «chaos» surronding Bayern doesnt appeal to Xabi.

That makes sense imho.

There’s quite a few managers that’s has winning the league with Bayern… it really doesn’t mean that much.

Xabi might also be thinking that Klopp is a tough act to follow, and if he has ambitions to be here one day, he might wait for someone else to have a go first
Anyone with even half a brain cell would be thinking that. He’d be following the greatest manager of the last 50 years. I sometimes think even our fans underestimate what a job Klopp has done. It’s absolutely possible that our team falls apart with 12 months of Klopp leaving.
It would be madness/huge balls to follow Klopp.

I think the main issue you can learn from all this when reading about Bayern and how they go through managers, is that there seem to be a set culture within the club with former players and Bavaria in general. If you dont play a certain type of football, behave in a certain way or just dont win in a way that is acceptable - then you're out.
There isnt much of a loyalty or culture in giving managers time to build something. Its winning at all costs and mainly short term.
Thats why I think its an awful job to take as a young manager. Nagelsmann was booted out after 20 months with a win percentage of 71%, 10 losses in 84 games and winning the league in his first season.

If Xabi want to build something long term and stamp his own mark on tactics, football and vision then Bayern isnt the place to be.
Hence why I dont think he wants to go there if given the choice between us and Bayern.
If he wins a couple of titles and has a decent crack at the CL then he’ll have achieved what he needs

Anyone with even half a brain cell would be thinking that. He’d be following the greatest manager of the last 50 years. I sometimes think even our fans underestimate what a job Klopp has done. It’s absolutely possible that our team falls apart with 12 months of Klopp leaving.
It would be madness/huge balls to follow Klopp.

No we don't under estimate. We just don't fear what comes next. It's all set up for the next gen.. manager included.

Thanks to Jurgen Norbert Klopp

Grow a pair of balls and enjoy the ride.

There’s quite a few managers that’s has winning the league with Bayern… it really doesn’t mean that much.

I think those managers and the Bayern fans might disagree with you.

As manager - they can weekend at Bernie’s his

This is exactly it imo. Jobs like Bayern and Real just aren't equivalent to manger of Liverpool or Utd. I don't think they've really got any interest in having a manager come in and oversee a long-term project. Like you say, it's not the culture there. They probably even see that constant churn as a positive to some extent, as it keeps everyone on their toes, prevents complacency etc. That might work perfectly fine as a system, but for the actual coach himself, I'd guess the vast majority would prefer a realistic chance of building a settled team, and even a succession of teams.

It's really about where the power base lies. Traditionally it's been with the manager in England, whereas the continental model has leaned more towards the president/board.

At the slightest struggle the board wants to be seen as being proactive but instead are merely trigger-happy.

United have struggled in recent seasons largely because they have no power base, with a weak board and ownership ground that failed to empower managers.

Bayern have been all board since not too long after Guardiola left, as Binny has highlighted. Cf. Barca, Real, etc.

A few other things…

That Bayern team is going to get raided by BM. Crazy money. Like what happened to Dortmund.

No point in Xabi staying. The team will be disassembled.

Kids are all teenagers. Hard to move teenagers. But He knows he’d be at Pool for a few seasons. BM? Could be gone in a season like TT.

Pool is better for a fam. But hard to move teenagers. It’s leverkusen or pool.

But because that team is about to be raised I’d have to say Pool - unless RM come in

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom