• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

YNWA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pesam

Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Question for the older posters............I came across this Man City v Derby game from 1974 featuring a winning goal by ex-City legend Francis Lee; the goal is as famous for the Barry Davies commentary as for the goal itself.

Anyway......at about 30 seconds you can clearly hear the City fans singing YNWA; I was 11 at the time and watched all the footie i.e. Match Of The Day and The Big Match and don't remember other fans singing our song. Was this a regular thing or was this just a strange one-off?

Actually, does anyone know when exactly YNWA started being sung at Anfield?
My dad who used to go in the Shankly era doesn’t remember it being a thing then, so I guess it was later?

Actually, does anyone know when exactly YNWA started being sung at Anfield?
My dad who used to go in the Shankly era doesn’t remember it being a thing then, so I guess it was later?

It was deffo part of the Shankly era.
Liverpool fans were known for singing the then-current pop tunes on the terraces back in the 1960s, as Anfield was one of the first UK grounds to have its own DJ.
Fans would thus sing along to a pre-match chart of the latest top ten hits, many of whom happened to be part of the Liverpool takeover of pop, such as The Beatles, Cilla Black and Gerry and the Pacemakers.
'You’ll Never Walk Alone' reached the top 10 just before a home match against West Brom on October 19, 1963. While it can't be known for sure, but it is likely that this was the very first time fans sang along to the tune at Anfield.
The song spent four weeks at number one and ten weeks inside the top ten, but fans kept on singing it long after it fell out of the chart altogether.
By 1965, Liverpool fans can be heard singing 'You’ll Never Walk Alone' at Wembley at their FA Cup Final win over Leeds, with TV commentator Kenneth Wolstenholme describing it as “Liverpool’s signature tune”.

For full article: The Story of... 'You'll Never Walk Alone', Liverpool FC's anthem

I think adopting YNWA was partly a by-product of Brian Epstein looking to use Anfield and Goodison as showcases for his musical acts. As he owned NEMS, the big record/musical goods store in the city, he provided the grounds with records for pre-game entertainment. That was originally just all the chart music. Then when he started building his rosta of acts, he made sure their records got saturation plays at the grounds - The Beatles, obviously, but also all his other acts. And YNWA as a single thus got played there before anywhere else, over and over again, and it just caught on.

It is generally accepted that Celtic started singing it after a European fixture against us in 1966, so not really debated, except by people who don't know their shit.
Also, only Celtic fans know that they sign it. I remember we had an Irish teacher who put on some video of Celtic (must have been coming up to Christmas or something and he couldn't be fucked teaching) and when they showed the fans singing it most of the class were saying it's a Liverpool song.

The Gerry Marsden single came out in 1963. It was played every game at Anfield as soon as it was released, all the way on until it reached number one, and then for months after. The Kop famously sang along to most of the hits. I obviously wasn't there but I cannot believe it didn't develop much earlier than 66. That would have been bizarre. It couldn't have taken three more years before it was picked up. Maybe the Celtic fans all went off to an art house revival of Carousel!

Last edited:
It is generally accepted that Celtic started singing it after a European fixture against us in 1966, so not really debated, except by people who don't know their shit.
I remember that game. Was when Shankly asked Jock Stein whether he'd prefer their share of the gate money, or just their empties back. :)

(Glass beer bottles in footie grounds, eh ? Amazing we all survived ...).

Not according to a lot of Celtic fans who would equally claim to know their shit.

Also, only Celtic fans know that they sign it. I remember we had an Irish teacher who put on some video of Celtic (must have been coming up to Christmas or something and he couldn't be fucked teaching) and when they showed the fans singing it most of the class were saying it's a Liverpool song.

That’s a fair point.

8c8eb1ae3ed0ca58e06ae36fab3fcd21.jpeg

Ambition makes you look pretty ugly.

Kicking, squealing, Gucci little piggy.
Ha! That just made me have a massive belly laugh. Back in about 1996 this guy I knew was telling me a story about some girl he'd just split up with. The guy was an idiot but the girl was pretty sound so it kind of made sense that she broke it off. Anyway the guy (with full-on earnest face and with no sense at all of what he was really saying) Said

"You know what Lewy - She does it to herself and that's what really hurts"..... I damn near passed out laughing. I didn't say it at the time but I sort of wish I had.

"Yeah I bet you can't get the stink off.... Was she hanging 'round for days?" I would have looked like a proper cunt but really the guy was a fucking idiot. :)

Ha! That just made me have a massive belly laugh. Back in about 1996 this guy I knew was telling me a story about some girl he'd just split up with. The guy was an idiot but the girl was pretty sound so it kind of made sense that she broke it off. Anyway the guy (with full-on earnest face and with no sense at all of what he was really saying) Said

"You know what Lewy - She does it to herself and that's what really hurts"..... I damn near passed out laughing. I didn't say it at the time but I sort of wish I had.

"Yeah I bet you can't get the stink off.... Was she hanging 'round for days?" I would have looked like a proper cunt but really the guy was a fucking idiot. :)

That's quite brilliant.

Along the same vein, I was once counseling a gentleman named Chris Martin on a blood pressure medication he was about to start. I warned him of potential dizziness and that he should rise to a standing position slowly to avoid "a rush of blood to the head".

That's quite brilliant.

Along the same vein, I was once counseling a gentleman named Chris Martin on a blood pressure medication he was about to start. I warned him of potential dizziness and that he should rise to a standing position slowly to avoid "a rush of blood to the head".
In my uni days there was a "girl" in a few of my classes who looked like meatloaf. Me and a mate had this long running joke where we would slip meatloaf lyrics into our sentences while we we talking to her. My best one was when she got 66% in an exam. Two out of three ain't bad...

In my uni days there was a "girl" in a few of my classes who looked like meatloaf. Me and a mate had this long running joke where we would slip meatloaf lyrics into our sentences while we we talking to her. My best one was when she got 66% in an exam. Two out of three ain't bad...

Fucking lol

Not as funny perhaps, but when I was a kid a mate (& an ex gf) dad shacked up with a woman with a really lazy eye.

Like it looked at the corner of the room instead of you.

Her name was, I shit you not, Eileen.

Of course we were all stoned when he introduced her. She stormed out after we couldn't stop laughing for over five minutes.

Then every time we saw her since, we worked 'come on' into almost every sentence we said to her....

We still laughed every time anyone said her name.

We also had a lad in school who said 'Y' instead of 'R'. His name was Robert...

That's quite brilliant.

Not as funny perhaps, but when I was a kid a mate (& an ex gf) dad shacked up with a woman with a really lazy eye.

Like it looked at the corner of the room instead of you.

Her name was, I shit you not, Eileen.

Of course we were all stoned when he introduced her. She stormed out after we couldn't stop laughing for over five minutes.

Then every time we saw her since, we worked 'come on' into almost every sentence we said to her....

We still laughed every time anyone said her name.

We also had a lad in school who said 'Y' instead of 'R'. His name was Robert...

Haha Oh man I hope that's true! 'Eileen'?? Too Funny :D

I really love it when peeps tell a tale on here. There's tons of stuff I've nicked from 6Cm's. One of my favourites is @Aidan O' Neill and @Dave G (I think it was those two) their story about the movie 'Roadhouse' and their holiday is right up there (I'll let them tell it if you haven't heard it). @jon545660 service station story too. Very cool :D

Mate, I couldn't have made that up if I tried. It's fucking unreal. Literally introduced to 8 utterly stoned teenagers (three of whom were his daughters) for the first time whilst she had one eye staring almost the completely opposite way to us whilst she 'looked' at us. Fucking hilarious.

Took him years, literally years to properly forgive me. Even after he'd split up with her. And he was a shitty dad to boot so didn't half a leg to stand on there tbh anyway.

We're still only on ultra polite talking terms now, decades later. Hilarious.

Mate, I couldn't have made that up if I tried. It's fucking unreal. Literally introduced to 8 utterly stoned teenagers (three of whom were his daughters) for the first time whilst she had one eye staring almost the completely opposite way to us whilst she 'looked' at us. Fucking hilarious.

Took him years, literally years to properly forgive me. Even after he'd split up with her. And he was a shitty dad to boot so didn't half a leg to stand on there tbh anyway.

We're still only on ultra polite talking terms now, decades later. Hilarious.
Haha! Nicked! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom