• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Poll Young Player of 11-12

Prefix for Poll Threads

Who was Young Player of 11-12?

• Henderson

Votes: 10 22.7%
  • Jonjo

Votes: 8 18.2%
  • Martin Kelly

Votes: 12 27.3%
  • Robinson

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Flanno

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Raheem

Votes: 1 2.3%
  • Coates

Votes: 9 20.5%
  • Miserable gits choice (no one)

Votes: 4 9.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
The fact you voted for him and then said the above is quite staggering.

let me put it this way, he hasnt done anything wrong, he just hasnt shone. other players (shelvey, coates etc) have shone at times but been dreaful at times too, so i voted for the most dependable

I voted Henderson. He was thrown in at the deep end in a struggling team, playing full time in a midfield that should have featured Lucas, Gerrard and others. He played in several positions with several different midfield shapes being employed by KD. I thought he showed a lot of maturity and a great attitude despite being criticized from almost the start by fans who freaked out about the fee we paid for him.

I voted for these reasons too.

The results of this poll so far really show that the less often you play for us, the better your reputation. Shelvey probably would have won if he hadn't had the misfortune of actually playing recently.

I don't get the Shelvey love at all. He's nowhere near Henderson's level at being anonymous.
FTFY

It's the good Shelvey does that outshines his bad moments. But most importantly he affects the game. He could become our teams clock.

According to Socccernet for Liverpool this season:
9 starts 7 sub appearences = 2 goals and 1 assist
vs.
41 starts 7 sub appearences = 2 goals and 3 assist

I know which one I take. Especially given that one of them didn't have the ability to build up form.

FTFY

It's the good Shelvey does that outshines his bad moments. But most importantly he affects the game. He could become our teams clock.

According to Socccernet for Liverpool this season:
9 starts 7 sub appearences = 2 goals and 1 assist
vs.
41 starts 7 sub appearences = 2 goals and 3 assist

I know which one I take. Especially given that one of them didn't have the ability to build up form.

They're playing different roles though Shelvey, everyone knows Shelvey is given more freedom to get into the box. I could just as easily say Suarez is better than Agger because he scores more goals and has more assists.

Henderson has probably played 16 games in the same position that Shelvey has played all his in. Additionally, Shelvey was asked to sit in a couple games too (I didn't understand why).

You're proving my point if you think the comparison from Shelvey to Henderson is similar to the comparison from Suarez to Agger.

How am I proving your point?
Because if the gulf in attacking talent between Shelvey and Henderson is akin to the gulf in attacking talent between Suarez and Agger despite them playing in the same positions. Both can play at CAM, CM, and RW. Shelvey's Carling Cup goal came from the RW.

I don't think they play the same role though and I also wouldn't regard goals and assists as the sole criteria for measuring a midfield player's performance. I know you love Shelvey Shelvey and I like him too, he has a lot of raw potential but I really think Henderson is going to be a huge star and future captain for us and England.

Wow that's a huge endorsement for Henderson. You know I could see Henderson getting there but I don't see the confidence/cockiness I do in Shelvey which gets the type A personalities there. I think they play the positions while having slightly different roles. Shelvey just has more attacking tools and Henderson has the motor/physical tools that Shelvey doesn't.

How am I proving your point?

They're not radically different roles though Gene, I get your point but he's still by and large playing as the attacking half of a central midfield (or as an attacking right midfielder).

That said, it's funny how playing the last couple of games as a partnership in the middle with both dropping and supporting, they've both got goals. Hmmmmmm.....

I see what you mean Mark but although it's percieved on here, and more widely, as cowardice, I think Henderson is actually very disciplined tactically and really holds his position, loyally playing the role he's been assigned. He needs to learn that sometimes it's also good to go for it but I think it's understandable that he isn't always taking on the responsibility for changing games himself when he has so many more experienced guys around him. Shelvey is very different of course and what's admiralbe about him is that he will try to run the game even if he has Messi on one side and Ronaldo on the other, but for all his personality and supposed skills, I don't think he's very good at football yet, at least not compared to Henderson.

Can't argue with that. I do think Shelvey has that bit more courage in trying things and not letting his head drop when it doesn't come off, whereas (as you said), Hendo is very disciplined in his role and keeps it tidy without really catching the eye. I agree with your initial post though about him being thrown in at the deep end this season. We can only hope it'll stand him in good stead.

Wot Mark said
Bar a couple of recent games Hendo has hardly played a forward pass (alright i exagerate a bit ) but he does generally stop any attacking momentum by checking and making a safe backwards pass, i think he will be great in the future but Shelvey plays with head up looking for a forward pass for someone to run onto , defo not suited for dm imho but could be a big big player.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom