• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You're the best! Around! Nothing's gonna ever keep you down...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Talking of Shearer, anyone wondered how they managed to make a statue of him, and actually got the only memorable aspect of him entirely wrong?

The celebration was always - typically- that little hand in the air thing. Which somehow has been changed to a finger in the air.

Given it doesn't actually look much like him, is it actually even supposed to be Shearer? Maybe the sculptor did Mick Quinn instead.

Alan Shearer has told Soccer AM his statue outside St James' Park is celebrating with a finger pointed in homage to his final goal for Newcastle.
The 46-year-old, who is the Premier League's record scorer with 260 goals, has been honoured by his former club with the 16-foot high statue.
Funded by former Newcastle United chairman Freddy Shepherd, the installation shows Shearer with his famous goal celebration.

The best statue of a footballer for me is the one of famous Everton player Marco Materazzi outside the Pompidou in Paris

5095398474b1d70e9f286fc8f698006c.jpg

I still can't believe that's actually real. More like something the Daily mash would make up.

Oh God - I've just remembered the Fulham and Michael Jackson thing! At least Morph actually played for Newcastle.
I came across that very statue a couple of weeks ago. It's in the National footy museum in Manchester - as a genuine piece of football memorabilia.

Pissed myself laughing.

Klopp had well over 300 appearances and 50 goals for Mainz. Easy to forget how big those numbers actually are when comparing to some of the managers mentioned in this thread though.

Many great managers were only average players. Bill Shankly and Bob Paisley are examples.

There is a theory that players who aren't very gifted have to learn to read the game and apply themselves in order to survive, which equips them better for management than top players.

I know your tongue was in your cheek there, but it is an interesting point.

British managers when PL was created:

1992/93

Arsenal- George Graham
Aston Villa - Ron Atkinson
Blackburn Rovers - Kenny Dalglish
Chelsea - David Webb
Coventry City - Bobby Gould
Crystal Palace - Steve Coppell
Everton - Howard Kendall
Ipswich Town - John Lyall
Leeds United - Howard Wilkinson
Liverpool - Graeme Souness
Manchester City - Peter Reid
Manchester United - Alex Ferguson
Middlesbrough - Lennie Lawrence
Norwich City - Mike Walker
Nottingham Forest - Brian Clough
Oldham Athletic - Joe Royle
Queens Park Rangers - Gerry Francis
Sheffield United - Dave Bassett
Sheffield Wednesday - Trevor Francis
Southampton - Ian Branfoot
Tottenham Hotspur - Doug Livermore/Ray Clemence
Wimbledon - Joe Kinnear

British managers working in the league now:

2016/17

Burnley - Sean Dyche
Bournemouth - Eddie Howe
Hull City - Mike Phelan
Alan Pardew - Crystal Palace
David Moyes - Sunderland

I'd never back the EDL stance, for me it's best man for the job, and the evidence overwhelmingly suggests that that man may not be English - or even British.
You fucking messed me up with your list of managers working in the league now. Proper wrecked my head.
Club club club manager manager.....
ORDER motherfucker ORDER

Klopp had well over 300 appearances and 50 goals for Mainz. Easy to forget how big those numbers actually are when comparing to some of the managers mentioned in this thread though.

I guess some of my impression of his career is down the fact that; I am not a Mainz fan and Klopp himself always plays down his ability as a player and the success of his playing career.

I guess some of my impression of his career is down the fact that; I am not a Mainz fan and Klopp himself always plays down his ability as a player and the success of his playing career.

“I never succeeded in bringing to the field what was going on in my brain. I had the talent for the fifth division, and the mind for the Bundesliga. The result was a career in the second division.”

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom