• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

£770MILLION Spent

Status
Not open for further replies.
True but i'd rather spend well than not spend well. Your chances of winning greatly improve.

And im more interested in finding ways to improve that by looking at we do or don't do - rather than try to pretend that it's okay we're shit in our allocation of resources because other people have been too.

Reflect rather deflect. Give the patient treatment when they're sick rather than pretend everything's fine and the. place a wreath at the funeral.

True but i'd rather spend well than not spend well. Your chances of winning greatly improve.

And im more interested in finding ways to improve that by looking at we do or don't do - rather than try to pretend that it's okay we're shit in our allocation of resources because other people have been too.

Reflect rather deflect. Give the patient treatment when they're sick rather than pretend everything's fine and the. place a wreath at the funeral.

Of course, spending resources well will help us improve but I don't think it's a panacea.

I'm not sure anyone is pretending it's OK we're shit, the opposite in fact judging by the forums.

I'm sure the owners will be looking to get better value for their money but I suspect they'll be realistic about being more efficient bringing success. They'll need to compete in terms of resources as well as increasing efficiency to close the gap.

Part of not wasting money is keeping the better players and they're not doing that currently so there's plenty to work on.

I do think the whole argument is quite interesting.
It is an irrefutable fact that the four top spending teams in the premiership, in wages at least, will take up the top four places this season.
So the easy answer is to spend more money and it will ultimately guarantee success, by the law of averages. Right?
However financial fair play doesn't allow over the top spending any more.
Plus I suspect that if you scrutinise some of our rivals signings they haven't been particularly spectacular either.
Man U's splurge last summer on the face of it seems to have done the trick but in reality, for all the money spent, few of the player bar Herrera perhaps, have been an unmitigated success.
Felaini, Mata and Carrick seem to have been the players behind their slightly better season this time out.
I suppose all teams spend really badly at times and probably frequently for much of it.
That should't be made as an argument though to defend our poor spending.
and it appears possible that if we spend our money really well then we can break the cycle of money equalling success.
Unfortunately, looking back over the years of our transfer dealings, both recent and in the last ten to fifteen years doesn't fill me with much hope.

We're essentially fifth in terms of spending power in the league (but still in the top 10 worldwide!)

I'm not saying we should win the league regularly with those resources. I think if we're better than the other clubs we can become more or less regular in the CL - with a title run when some of the other teams are on the down side of their cycle.

That in time may lead to minimising the financial gap and in turn maybe turn us into contenders.

Essentially at the moment I see us as a club who'll go from 4th -7th in the league if we continue the way we are. Being smarter right now can make that range 3Rd -5th.

And yes I'm aware we finished second last year, but I felt the luck factors were in our favour last year and were the difference between 2nd and 4th.

Or to put in another way, if we kept Suarez the best we'd be doing is fourth IMO

I agree with you that if we were to spend our money better than we could easily become perennial top four contenders.
Sadly history suggests that we are unlikely to do so.
The only club to appear to have successfully done this were Arsenal during their paying off the new stadium years and it seems to have resulted them suffering a malaise where finishing top four is actually success rather than a route to it

But there aren't enough good players to go around these days. So it does matter what others are doing when it means that we are left with nothing but left-over shit to choose from.

It wasn't like that for Houllier or Benitez. Both of those retarded idiots actively, fucking actively went after the likes of Diouf and Voronin when there were so many world class players available to choose from. That level of retard simply defies belief. Rodgers doesn't come close. Can I really blame him for taking punts on youngsters or choosing Balotelli over the likes of Muriel, or Remy, or fucking Bony? No.

B Can I really blame him for taking punts on youngsters or choosing Balotelli over the likes of Muriel, or Remy, or fucking Bony? No.

I disagree, Bony or Remy would have been clearly better buys. Would they have replaced Suarez's contribution - not even close.

Look, there's clearly a trend here of manager after manager buying badly. Now, the question I ask is how different is this from other manager's success and failures in the market? I don't think it's that much worse.

Added to the fact we''re not a sexy city to live in, we're not in the CL every year, and players agents don't see us as a destination. They see us as a place that they can do better than. The Diego Costa's of the world, clearly think they should wait for the other clubs to come in.

I disagree, Bony or Remy would have been clearly better buys. Would they have replaced Suarez's contribution - not even close.

Look, there's clearly a trend here of manager after manager buying badly. Now, the question I ask is how different is this from other manager's success and failures in the market? I don't think it's that much worse.

Added to the fact we''re not a sexy city to live in, we're not in the CL every year, and players agents don't see us as a destination. They see us as a place that they can do better than. The Diego Costa's of the world, clearly think they should wait for the other clubs to come in.

Yes they would have been, but you can also understand why Rodgers went for Balotelli as he is miles more talented than those two. I don't mind if his decisions still end up being wrong, as they're a massive improvement upon the madness which came before him.

I don't see why it's a valid Question

It's not really a question anyway it's an excuse. An excuse for mediocrity.

We have no control over what other clubs do, so there's no point in getting worried about what they've done. We have control over how we spend our money - we exercise it really badly.

And instead of acknowledging the problem superfan above is deflecting. I'm sure it's okay that he travels hundreds of miles to watch shite regularly because other teams have bad players too

Superfan? Really?

Yes they would have been, but you can also understand why Rodgers went for Balotelli as he is miles more talented than those two. I don't mind if his decisions still end up being wrong, as they're a massive improvement upon the madness which came before him.

disagree on Balo, but agree on your general thrust (Oooer missus)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom