• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

3 games left

Status
Not open for further replies.
Indeed so JJ - this TV money is going to stop sooner rather than later methinks - Probably due to the lack of control the TV companies are having as to who can access their programs for free

Indeed so JJ - this TV money is going to stop sooner rather than later methinks - Probably due to the lack of control the TV companies are having as to who can access their programs for free

Mmm not so sure in the near term, Bein sport ( part of the Qatari Al Jazeera ) narrowly missed out and Discovery ( who own Eurosport ) were also sniffing around the last auction. The Premier league rights are fundamental to Sky's business model, there are going to be plenty of bidders in the next rights auction. In the long term I think the collective bargaining of the premier league will break down with clubs selling games over the internet, which will be far more lucrative to the top clubs perhaps precipitating a proper european league.

Yes. It won't be long before we'll start seeing dystopian TV fictions about what football will be like once the bubble bursts, the money drains out and the game gets 'diminished' into being a 'mere' sport again. Maybe a cross between The Walking Dead and When the Boat Comes In.

In this day and age though with so many media options available, I think the money will always come in some shape or form, maybe not to the same levels, but there will always be areas of the market that clubs and leagues will look to exploit to maximise income.

People said years ago, when accessing football via foreign internet channels was at it's height, that the bubble would burst then. If anything the bubble became even more inflated.

I think before the money stops coming in the clubs will mismanage a way to their own implosion. Animal spirits are more instrumental in football than most other economic ventures, and there are some pretty dumb animals running football clubs.

The flip side or maybe, the crux of the way it's headed, is that the smaller clubs are catching up. The lesser midtable clubs are now spending not far off our net spend. While clubs that are in good economic climates anyway, particularly the London clubs, are the ones who are capitalising heavily because they're adding the TV money to already hugely inflated gate receipts. What we don't want to be seeing, but something that's already happening, is the top three/four spending way beyond those on the fringe of the top four. Chelsea, United and City are blowing everyone out the water at the minute with fees. So basically outside those three, there's little to choose really between the rest in terms of what they spend, by comparison. Which is why we've got so many teams capable of pushing for Europe, while realistically we know who the top three will be already.

*babbles on ignoring the heads up about topic......An increasing number of people I know from work and socially are cancelling their sky subscriptions for dodgy boxes - now unless Sky's and BT's budgets are based purely on advertising revenue rather than subscription I think it will all fall over in the next 4-5 years

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom