• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

3 games left

Status
Not open for further replies.
Everything is over analysed. Not just on the pitch, but off it too. I can happily sit & listen to neville & Carra talk tactics for hours, but sky & even the BBC would rather force feed us 'news' about what manager said what, what a player has done on a night out, ex players acting like amateur psychologists analysis twitter feeds.

Add into that sky high (pun intended) ticket prices meaning kids & normal working class people can't afford to go the game, an ever increasing gap between the CL teams & the rest meaning true competition for the top spot is limited to a select number of the league, sponsorship of players toilets, contact lenses & lint rollers.

I could go on, but I can't be arsed tbh, I've probably missed some big points.

Much as they bleat on about it being the fans game, the game is used to completely guage fans. Ticket prices, programme prices, 60 quid for a jersey, fiver for a mug just because it was Liverpool slapped on it.

Everything about the game is rammed down our throats too. We know what players earn, where they live, who their agent is. It's become about 8 hours of soap opera a week before getting to see 90 minutes of football. More time is spent discussing money, contracts, owners etc. than the actual matches too.

On top of that the greed of TV providers drives the prices of even watching the game on tv to a ridiculous level. There's a part of me that kind of hopes the next big tv deal falls flat on its face as more and more people stream matches.

The other thing that plays on my mind is that my best LFC related experiences have not come off the back of coherent plans, or obviously well balanced squads. We long for the consistent dominance that we once had, but that shit is rare and fleeting unless you are the club that consistently spends a lot more than all the others.

Much as they bleat on about it being the fans game, the game is used to completely guage fans. Ticket prices, programme prices, 60 quid for a jersey, fiver for a mug just because it was Liverpool slapped on it.

Everything about the game is rammed down our throats too. We know what players earn, where they live, who their agent is. It's become about 8 hours of soap opera a week before getting to see 90 minutes of football. More time is spent discussing money, contracts, owners etc. than the actual matches too.

On top of that the greed of TV providers drives the prices of even watching the game on tv to a ridiculous level. There's a part of me that kind of hopes the next big tv deal falls flat on its face as more and more people stream matches.

I'm with you 100% on that..

Streaming is becoming easier to access and with the fact sky are losing rights to football hand over Fist to BT at the moment.. there is hope..

So by that reckoning lets have a look at it:

5 months bedding in - poor, disorganised and lacking cohesion with alot of defensive vulnerability
Following 18 months - excellent form, scoring lots of goals, nearly winning the league albeit with the same defensive vulnerability.
Next 12 months - poor form, loss of a key player, loss of another key player through injury. Poor buys, questionable transfer policy. Lack of goals magnifies defensive vulnerability.

Ultimately in terms of form it's a mixed bag - sublime to ridiculous if you will. 18 months of great form, 18 months of poor form. Ability with the right players to undo teams at will, constant Achilles heel of a poor defensive set up. At the end of the day, that's not going to go away, it might get better over the course of the season if we start getting our shit together at the top end of the team, so as others have said, it's pretty much hinging on us getting our attack functioning well. That and getting shut of that useless gobshite Lovren.

If we don't manage that after spending £60m on two attackers he wanted, then he can have zero complaints.

Yeah, sounds about right. But I think you also need to take into account what the trend is, and not just the results. Do we look like we're getting better, is there a coherent plan that we're working towards. I think in the first 5 month period above, we could see that there was a plan, that we were trying to do something, but that we weren't quite there yet. I'm not so sure I can see that plan now, and unless there is something that I'm not seeing going on, that the owners can see, then I'm on the side of looking for a better option. But as you say, he has nowhere to hide this season, he got away last season with the excuse of losing Suarez, this season it's his team and he's spent a lot of money, if we don't look like turning into a better team by the end of the season, then he can have no complaints.

I'm with you 100% on that..

Streaming is becoming easier to access and with the fact sky are losing rights to football hand over Fist to BT at the moment.. there is hope..

A lot will depend on what happens when BT actually try to turn a profit on all these rights in a year or two. I've just subscribed to their broadband because they basically chuck in all the TV and sport for free. There's no way that's sustainable.

So when people are asked to pay another £20 a month on top we'll see what the market can actually bear. I know I won't continue with them.

A lot will depend on what happens when BT actually try to turn a profit on all these rights in a year or two. I've just subscribed to their broadband because they basically chuck in all the TV and sport for free. There's no way that's sustainable.

So when people are asked to pay another £20 a month on top we'll see what the market can actually bear. I know I won't continue with them.

It's pretty cyclic though, they will probably see a dwindle in custom and then another media giant will step in with something else for Premiership fans. Same old. We've spent years bouncing between Virgin, Sky and BT, depending on who's got the best deal and on what channels.

I have high hopes for Corbyn's plans. Sky will be abolished, BT will be limited to making bakelite phones, there will only be three terrestrial channels and the maximum size TV will be a ten inch screen.

That's not their business model...whether they succeed or not is a different matter.

That's not their business model...whether they succeed or not is a different matter.

They'll have to try and claw it back from somewhere. I don't see how they can make a return from the amount they're charging right now.

It's pretty cyclic though, they will probably see a dwindle in custom and then another media giant will step in with something else for Premiership fans. Same old. We've spent years bouncing between Virgin, Sky and BT, depending on who's got the best deal and on what channels.

Well it's all good then.

Dads-Army-Frazier-doomed.png

Thing is.. I'm seeing freinds and family bin sky off in favour of streaming and BT..

The more streaming becomes readily available the more people cancel. You can block streaming sites but another 3 pop up else where and there is plenty of subscription based services available now that provide high quality streams for a reasonable fee..

The whole thing is a great big rip off anyway tbh.. I live in hope it will all come crashing down, one day..

The fans are just being constantly ripped off..

Thing is.. I'm seeing freinds and family bin sky off in favour of streaming and BT..

The more streaming becomes readily available the more people cancel. You can block streaming sites but another 3 pop up else where and there is plenty of subscription based services available now that provide high quality streams for a reasonable fee..

The whole thing is a great big rip off anyway tbh.. I live in hope it will all come crashing down, one day..

The fans are just being constantly ripped off..

I'm not even going to bother with BT. When we move house this month I won't be getting any TV package; I'll just pay for the fastest broadband package and stream everything, TV, films, football, everything. It costs too much otherwise. I've got family paying £90 odd quid for Sky, it's ludicrous.

They'll have to try and claw it back from somewhere. I don't see how they can make a return from the amount they're charging right now.

As I understand it they will make a small charge to cover their costs on the CL, but will continue to maintain the PL sports package with the Broadband bundle.

They believe their cost model shows this to be sustainable because of the increased number of domestic customers they are seeing (with the footy not only differentiating them from the competition, but also encouraging people to take more expensive product - like Infinity - on the basis of "well I got the football for free so why not take the super quick broadband for a couple of quid extra")

I'm not even going to bother with BT. When we move house this month I won't be getting any TV package; I'll just pay for the fastest broadband package and stream everything, TV, films, football, everything. It costs too much otherwise. I've got family paying £90 odd quid for Sky, it's ludicrous.
Is how I'm set up..

I have a basic BT TV package for 12 Months which pays for my free digital box which I now own.. come the end of the twelve months I will then cancel it..

I still get to keep the box.

A humax freeview hd recorder for less that 100 quid.. can't argue with that..

In fact when we signed last year with the infinity broadband too, we got 150 cash back through quidco and 125 quid sainsbury voucher..

Kodi and freesat is now for my viewing pleasure..

LOF for streams

Quids in really..

As I understand it they will make a small charge to cover their costs on the CL, but will continue to maintain the PL sports package with the Broadband bundle.

They believe their cost model shows this to be sustainable because of the increased number of domestic customers they are seeing (with the footy not only differentiating them from the competition, but also encouraging people to take more expensive product - like Infinity - on the basis of "well I got the football for free so why not take the super quick broadband for a couple of quid extra")

Oh I didn't realise Infinity was such a money spinner for them. Well on that basis it could well be sustainable.

As to the hope of it all coming crashing down... I find that a bit odd tbh. Clubs making an ever higher proportion of their income from TV is by far the best hope of ticket prices coming down - isn't that what really matters? We're already seeing some small concessions in that direction.

I don't think BT are interested in sport other than as a means to widen their broadband base. They know that an online presence is the future. Sky know it too, with their whole activate SS5 and get two free years of internet. They're desperate, making up new channels when they have less sport to offer.

Oh I didn't realise Infinity was such a money spinner for them. Well on that basis it could well be sustainable.

As to the hope of it all coming crashing down... I find that a bit odd tbh. Clubs making an ever higher proportion of their income from TV is by far the best hope of ticket prices coming down - isn't that what really matters? We're already seeing some small concessions in that direction.
Its getting out of control.. Premiership packages increase every year as more games become available, the fees paid are then passed on to the customer..

It needs nipping in the bud..

As technology progresses before long you will see team season tickets for the football on the TV.. that will be the next phase for the premier league to sell..

Whilst I agree ticket prices need to be kept down.. realistically a salary cap is required as all this extra money does not fund cheaper ticket prices, but more likely agent fees and escalating players wages..

Its getting out of control.. Premiership packages increase every year as more games become available, the fees paid are then passed on to the customer..

It will be nipped in the bud if the consumer stops consuming. Otherwise capitalism will just continue on it's merry way, leaving the poor in its wake.

As technology progresses before long you will see team season tickets for the football on the TV.. that will be the next phase for the premier league to sell..

Whilst I agree ticket prices need to be kept down.. realistically a salary cap is required as all this extra money does not fund cheaper ticket prices, but more likely agent fees and escalating players wages..

But as an ever more negligible amount of clubs' incomes are made up of ticket sales you will start to see concessions. In fact we are already seeing them.

The best thing would be to televise every game. That would have the handy effect of reducing the actual demand for tickets anyway, before even getting to the need for subsidisation.

For your hypocrisy?

I blame ignorance.

edit: sorry, this sort of carry on is lame. Sorry I played your game, pete.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom