• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

A plan for summer campaign

Status
Not open for further replies.

rurikbird

Part of the Furniture
Honorary Member
IN:
Glen Johnson RB 18.5 million (11.5 + 7 million unpaid debt for Crouch)
Wesley Sneijder AM/CM ~19 million (he was bought for 25 million euro, or 21.3 pounds by Real, they are prepared to sell at a small loss and it's unlikely any really big guns, apart from perhaps Bayern, would enter the bidding)
David Silva AM ~20 million
Michael Owen CF ~free

TOTAL IN: ~57.5 million (50 if we don't count Crouch debt write-off)

OUT:
Ryan Babel LW ~10 million
Yossi Benayoun AM ~10 million (being linked with Barca is a good thing)
Andrea Dossena LB ~ 7 million (one bad season in England won't damage his reputation in Italy too much, I think)
Philipp Degen RB ~ 2 million
Andriy Voronin ST ~4 million

TOTAL OUT: ~33 million

TOTAL SPENDING: ~24.5 million (17.5 million minus Crouch debt)

Notice that none of the current first-team players are being considered for sale under this plan. This ensures that team continuity is preserved and it puts the manager in a much more comfortable position - instead of gambling the season on the new signings' success, he can let them settle in at their own pace and try do displace any of the current first-teamers playing the same positions. So even if any of the new signings go bust or don't settle in as quickly as expected, we still have a functioning team of last season's starters that's ready to go and compete for the title. That's why I think Rafa should do everything to try to hold on to Arbeloa, Mascher and Xabi, at least for one more season.

Here's how next season't team might look like, with the 4-2-3-1 formation as the basis.

UP FRONT:
Torres, Kuyt, Owen, N'Gog
Most of the time we'll use formations with one centre-forward, so striker partnerships are not too important here. Basically it's Torres, or, when he's not available, the most in-form of the other 3.

ATTACKING MIDFIELD THREE:
Gerrard, Silva, Sneijder, Kuyt, Riera.
That's a lot of quality, flexibility, and depth. We don't have an out-and-out RW, but that's unnecessary now assuming Johnson will give our right side an attacking dimension and width.

CENTRAL TWO:
Xabi, Mascherano, Lucas, Gerrard,
Same as last year. Maybe one of the ressies can step up too. If something happens to Mascher, god forbid, I have a slightly controversial idea of moving Carra back into defensive midfield - that way Agger and Skrtel can play together.

DEFENSE:
Aurelio, Insua, Arbeloa (LB), Agger, Skrtel, Carragher (CB), Johnson, Arbeloa, Carragher (RB), Reina, Cavalieri (GK)
The Glen Johnson purchase should strengthen our LB position too, because Arbeloa is equally proficient on the left. So even if (when?) Aurelio is injured, we still have enough depth and competition at LB with Arbeloa and Insua.

There is another intriguing tactical possibility here. With Sneijder and Silva in the team, we would be able, for the first time, to line up as a true Dutch/Barca 4-3-3, something like this:

Silva====Torres====Kuyt
==Sneijder====Gerrard==
=====Xabi(Mascher)====
Aurelio========Johnson
====Agger===Carra====
=======Reina========

To me, that's a huge deal. True, 4-2-3-1 served us very well last season and there is no need to fix what's not broken. But every team must also evolve. There is no guarantee that what was working last season will work in the future. Perhaps, if we are viewed as genuine title contenders from the very outset, teams will play even more defensively against us and a balanced system like 4-2-3-1 won't be always enough to carve them open. Having a genuine 4-3-3 formation as an option, with players naturally suited for that formation, can potentially make our team for the first time in years a truly frightening attacking force. That's why I think if we somehow managed to get both Silva and Sneijder (I know we haven't been linked with Wesley in the press, but it doesn't necessarily mean we are not interested), it would not just improve what we have, position by position (Silva > Babel; Sneijder > Benayoun), but also would open up a completely new attacking dimension - when we need one.

Thanks for reading.

You've put plenty of thought into that alright.

I can't see us selling Benayoun. Degen wouldn't fetch 2M. And we won't buy Sneijder or Owen methinks.

More like;

OUT:
Ryan Babel LW ~6 million
Yossi Benayoun AM ~7 million
Andrea Dossena LB ~ 5 million
Philipp Degen RB ~ 0 million
Andriy Voronin ST ~2.5 million

= 20.5 million

Can't see us selling Yossi, only 1 attacking mid/whatever will likely come in.

I like the idea of Sneijder a lot. He is a real quality player and would provide us with an able substitute for (or should I say attacking alternative to) Gerrard. The only issue I have with the deal you propose is the price. He has had some injuries and Real blatantly want rid after buying (very expensively) to effectively replace him - surely those conditions should not favour the seller. Still, I like the player and I like the options he'd give us, e.g. a more attacking 4-3-3 as you say.

I suppose the main issue with your buying strategy is that we're still (in my opinion) very much dependant on Torres staying fit. Without him (and Gerrard really), we'd still lack pace up top and would have to rely on passing through teams. You could argue that with Sneijder and Silva our ability to do this would be greatly enhanced, but time and time again we've seen the value of having the pace to stretch teams. It frightens defenders and it forces errors.

I'm not totally against signing Owen, but really he'd have to be the last option. If we've got Kuyt on the right and Torres is out injured... things aren't looking to great for us up top. At all. Even if someone else like Johnson is deployed on the right, I don't think Kuyt can be relied upon up top. And pace is still an issue.

I'd be more in favour of replacing the Silva purchase (or you could argue it to be Sneijder) for a pacey attacker to help us cope when Torres isn't around. What would you think of Sneijder on the left on occasion?

I think I'd prefer Saviola to Sneijder to be honest.

Call it a gut feeling but I reckon he could blossom once again under Rafa's guidance and as he'd cost approx. 1/3 of the Dutchman's supposed prize I'd be tempted.

Tevez is really the most obvious candidate followed by Silva but if we haven't got enough money to compete for those two players I'd look to Saviola or maybe even a Guiseppe Rossi - even though the latter is hardly going to come on the cheap either.

And then there's always that Quagliarella-lad no-one ever seems interested in. Not even a juicy rumour to be found. I rate him. He can kick the ball good I tell you.

IN:
Glen Johnson RB 17 million (10 + 7 million unpaid debt for Crouch)
David Silva LM 20 million
Kuba RM 8 million
Owen ST free

TOTAL IN: 45 million (38 with the crouch money they owe us)

OUT:
Ryan Babel LW 9 million
Andrea Dossena LB 7 million
Philipp Degen RB free
Andriy Voronin ST 4 million
Alvaro Arbeloa RB 8million
Hobbs/Anderson - 1.5million

TOTAL OUT: 29.5million

TOTAL SPENDING: 15.5 million (or 8.5mil with the crouch money)

Riena
Johnson Skrtel Agger Insua
Alonso Mascherano
Kuyt/kuba Gerrard Silva
Torres

and owen as a back up

[quote author=zlatan18 link=topic=34219.msg890606#msg890606 date=1245323563]
IN:
Kuba RM 8 million
Owen ST free

OUT:
Ryan Babel LW 9 million
Philipp Degen RB free

Riena
Alonso Mascherano
Kuyt/kuba Gerrard Silva
Torres

and owen as a back up
[/quote]
I'd go with that but I wouldn't sell Babel.

[quote author=the_khl link=topic=34219.msg890608#msg890608 date=1245323646]
IN:
Kuba RM 8 million
Owen ST free

OUT:
Ryan Babel LW 9 million
Philipp Degen RB free

Riena
Alonso Mascherano
Kuyt/kuba Gerrard Silva
Torres

and owen as a back up
[/quote]
[/quote]

id rather keep babel aswell so then id change it to

total spending = 24.5million (17.5million if u include the crouch money)

IN:
Kuba RM 8 million
Owen ST free

OUT:
Ryan Babel LW 9 million
Philipp Degen RB free

Riena
Alonso Mascherano
Kuyt/kuba Gerrard Silva
Torres

and owen as a back up
[/quote]
[/quote]

Small point but Hobbs and Anderson won't fetch 1.5million between them. We have already sold Hobbs for what I think its a fraction of that price.

I can't see people queuing up to spend 4 million on Voronin either.

[quote author=Richey link=topic=34219.msg890616#msg890616 date=1245324080]
IN:
Kuba RM 8 million
Owen ST free

OUT:
Ryan Babel LW 9 million
Philipp Degen RB free

Riena
Alonso Mascherano
Kuyt/kuba Gerrard Silva
Torres

and owen as a back up
[/quote]
[/quote]

Small point but Hobbs and Anderson won't fetch 1.5million between them. We have already sold Hobbs for what I think its a fraction of that price.

I can't see people queuing up to spend 4 million on Voronin either.
[/quote]

hobbs went for what was it like 500,000? and anderson was being linked with like 800,000? so im sure we could get atleast 1mil then
as for voronin, he did well in bundesliga so he could get 4mil easy

[quote author=keniget link=topic=34219.msg890619#msg890619 date=1245324269]
We're getting at least 1M from the combined sales of Anderson and Hobbs.
[/quote]

anderson is being sold? so much for our next great winger.

i also forgot el zhar and leto... sell them too and get another 3mil off the total =]

yeah, so much for the hype around hobbs and anderson =[

Was it that much for Hobbs? Well in that case I take it back. Should be over a million for the pair.

And yes, just add them to the ever growing list of 'promising' youngsters who never make it at Liverpool.

[quote author=rurikbird link=topic=34219.msg890390#msg890390 date=1245305494]
IN:
Glen Johnson RB 18.5 million (11.5 + 7 million unpaid debt for Crouch)
Wesley Sneijder AM/CM ~19 million (he was bought for 25 million euro, or 21.3 pounds by Real, they are prepared to sell at a small loss and it's unlikely any really big guns, apart from perhaps Bayern, would enter the bidding)
David Silva AM ~20 million
Michael Owen CF ~free

TOTAL IN: ~57.5 million (50 if we don't count Crouch debt write-off)

OUT:
Ryan Babel LW ~10 million
Yossi Benayoun AM ~10 million (being linked with Barca is a good thing)
Andrea Dossena LB ~ 7 million (one bad season in England won't damage his reputation in Italy too much, I think)
Philipp Degen RB ~ 2 million
Andriy Voronin ST ~4 million

TOTAL OUT: ~33 million

TOTAL SPENDING: ~24.5 million (17.5 million minus Crouch debt)

Notice that none of the current first-team players are being considered for sale under this plan. This ensures that team continuity is preserved and it puts the manager in a much more comfortable position - instead of gambling the season on the new signings' success, he can let them settle in at their own pace and try do displace any of the current first-teamers playing the same positions. So even if any of the new signings go bust or don't settle in as quickly as expected, we still have a functioning team of last season's starters that's ready to go and compete for the title. That's why I think Rafa should do everything to try to hold on to Arbeloa, Mascher and Xabi, at least for one more season.

Here's how next season't team might look like, with the 4-2-3-1 formation as the basis.

UP FRONT:
Torres, Kuyt, Owen, N'Gog
Most of the time we'll use formations with one centre-forward, so striker partnerships are not too important here. Basically it's Torres, or, when he's not available, the most in-form of the other 3.

ATTACKING MIDFIELD THREE:
Gerrard, Silva, Sneijder, Kuyt, Riera.
That's a lot of quality, flexibility, and depth. We don't have an out-and-out RW, but that's unnecessary now assuming Johnson will give our right side an attacking dimension and width.

CENTRAL TWO:
Xabi, Mascherano, Lucas, Gerrard,
Same as last year. Maybe one of the ressies can step up too. If something happens to Mascher, god forbid, I have a slightly controversial idea of moving Carra back into defensive midfield - that way Agger and Skrtel can play together.

DEFENSE:
Aurelio, Insua, Arbeloa (LB), Agger, Skrtel, Carragher (CB), Johnson, Arbeloa, Carragher (RB), Reina, Cavalieri (GK)
The Glen Johnson purchase should strengthen our LB position too, because Arbeloa is equally proficient on the left. So even if (when?) Aurelio is injured, we still have enough depth and competition at LB with Arbeloa and Insua.

There is another intriguing tactical possibility here. With Sneijder and Silva in the team, we would be able, for the first time, to line up as a true Dutch/Barca 4-3-3, something like this:

Silva====Torres====Kuyt
==Sneijder====Gerrard==
=====Xabi(Mascher)====
Aurelio========Johnson
====Agger===Carra====
=======Reina========

To me, that's a huge deal. True, 4-2-3-1 served us very well last season and there is no need to fix what's not broken. But every team must also evolve. There is no guarantee that what was working last season will work in the future. Perhaps, if we are viewed as genuine title contenders from the very outset, teams will play even more defensively against us and a balanced system like 4-2-3-1 won't be always enough to carve them open. Having a genuine 4-3-3 formation as an option, with players naturally suited for that formation, can potentially make our team for the first time in years a truly frightening attacking force. That's why I think if we somehow managed to get both Silva and Sneijder (I know we haven't been linked with Wesley in the press, but it doesn't necessarily mean we are not interested), it would not just improve what we have, position by position (Silva > Babel; Sneijder > Benayoun), but also would open up a completely new attacking dimension - when we need one.

Thanks for reading.
[/quote]Out-Alonso 30m, Mascherano 30m, Babel 8m, Voronin 4m, Dossena 7m, Sundries 4m, Arbeloa 8m.
=91m
in-Aquilani 13m, De Rossi 20m, Silva 18m, Villa 35m, Johnson 10m, Santa cruz 15m.
=111m
Net 20m
team for 2010
reina
insua
carra
agger
johnson

aquilani
derossi
gerrard

silva
torres
villa.

Bench-cavalieri, yossi, skrtel, santa cruz, kuyt, aurelio, pacheco.

Beauty. Get rid of all the cunts who want to leave and put a ready made italian international partnership in there.

IN:
Kuba RM 8 million
Owen ST free

OUT:
Ryan Babel LW 9 million
Philipp Degen RB free

Riena
Alonso Mascherano
Kuyt/kuba Gerrard Silva
Torres

and owen as a back up
[/quote]
[/quote]

Where is our best defender?

[quote author=Anita link=topic=34219.msg890807#msg890807 date=1245337609]
Here's what's really happening;

Out: Alonso and Mascherano

In: Johnson and Richards.
[/quote]is it balls.
If those two leave we will get Martinez and/or Cana.

I'm losing hope.

Players we shouldn't be selling are being linked with moves. And all we're being seriously linked with is defenders (which is good in it's place cos we need them too).

First the high, then the low.
Tomorrow will be another day Anita.

[quote author=koze link=topic=34219.msg890767#msg890767 date=1245335317]
IN:
Kuba RM 8 million
Owen ST free

OUT:
Ryan Babel LW 9 million
Philipp Degen RB free

Riena
Alonso Mascherano
Kuyt/kuba Gerrard Silva
Torres

and owen as a back up
[/quote]
[/quote]

[/quote]

on the bench
i rate skrtel and agger as better players, but thats just me.

as for

[/quote]Out-Alonso 30m, Mascherano 30m, Babel 8m, Voronin 4m, Dossena 7m, Sundries 4m, Arbeloa 8m.
=91m
in-Aquilani 13m, De Rossi 20m, Silva 18m, Villa 35m, Johnson 10m, Santa cruz 15m.
=111m
Net 20m
team for 2010
reina
insua
carra
agger
johnson

aquilani
derossi
gerrard

silva
torres
villa.

Beauty. Get rid of all the cunts who want to leave and put a ready made italian international partnership in there.
[/quote]

i guess we can all dream but it wont happen. btw that would be a killer team

[quote author=zlatan18 link=topic=34219.msg890908#msg890908 date=1245344640]
[quote author=koze link=topic=34219.msg890767#msg890767 date=1245335317]
IN:
Kuba RM 8 million
Owen ST free

OUT:
Ryan Babel LW 9 million
Philipp Degen RB free

Riena
Alonso Mascherano
Kuyt/kuba Gerrard Silva
Torres

and owen as a back up
[/quote]
[/quote]

[/quote]

on the bench
i rate skrtel and agger as better players, but thats just me.

as for

=91m
=111m
Net 20m
team for 2010
reina
insua
carra
agger
johnson

aquilani
derossi
gerrard

silva
torres
villa.

[/quote]

i guess we can all dream but it wont happen. btw that would be a killer team
[/quote]Oh i know it wont happen. Im just having fun. And that team would rock.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom