• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Adjusted Season Expectations

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dreambeliever

From Doubter to Believer (to doubter again)
Well at the start of the season most of us had a top 4 and a trophy as what we hoped for or expected from the season.

Considering we now top at the half way stage, into the semi final of the league cup and the strongest side left in, into the last 16 of the Europa League and the strongest side in that comp, what are people’s expectations now?

League - 2nd
Europa League - Semi or greater
League Cup - Winners
Fa Cup - 3rd round loss

Whatever happens I think we need to win a trophy to build the confidence in Kloppo 2.0, I don’t think the trophy matters if it’s not the league.
Finishing second would set us up superbly for a real go at winning it next year although it will be tough being back in the CL too.

This is the year to do it - City aren’t going to be so inconsistent next year.
I don’t know, if they win back to back trebles and lift 4 titles in a row I think it will be virtually impossible to motivate them again while we should be able improve to Arsenals level last year which would have the title all but wrapped up already. Next year is the year just like the year after we went close.

This is the year to do it - City aren’t going to be so inconsistent next year.
I've stated it before - buying doesn't always = success and City are greatly missing players like Gundogan, Fernandinho, Mahrez, Silva and Laporte. Next year (if not this) we'll see the clear decline in the irreplaceable KdB (he's no Mo when it comes to fitness). It's a long way back to domination for City.

I would probably sacrifice the FA Cup this year – in fact in might benefit us in the league if Arsenal stay longer in the competition. I do definitely want us to win the Carabao Cup – we've come too far to give up and a trophy will be important for squad morale. And we're objectively the strongest team in the Europa League, so I think Klopp should go all out to add it to his collection. Especially seeing that Sevilla is not participating :)

The league heavily depends on the form of other 2 teams in contention and injuries, which is something we cannot control. I would say we have no more than a 30% chance.

League - 1st
Europa League - 1st
League Cup - 1st
Fa Cup - 1st
Is the correct answer.

We go all the way in everything. And why? Because we can mother fuckers.

One could argue we’ve gone the entire season so far unbeaten. The only people stopping us are the corrupt crooks sat at Stockley park every week.

I would probably sacrifice the FA Cup this year – in fact in might benefit us in the league if Arsenal stay longer in the competition. I do definitely want us to win the Carabao Cup – we've come too far to give up and a trophy will be important for squad morale. And we're objectively the strongest team in the Europa League, so I think Klopp should go all out to add it to his collection. Especially seeing that Sevilla is not participating :)

The league heavily depends on the form of other 2 teams in contention and injuries, which is something we cannot control. I would say we have no more than a 30% chance.
Yep agree: I’d say we are less than 30% though but obviously have a chance.

We are strong favourites for the LC and EL (Leverkusen a distant 2nd, though in a one off not so distant for me). If we don't win them I'll be very disappointed.
In the PL Opta have us at about 30% something to City's 55% but for me that is based on a City of previous seasons not this. Nilsson Grace (or whatever they are called) seem to be far more accurate with most predictions compared to Opta and they have it as 42% to 38% in City's favour. That seems far more accurate considering the fixture list.

We are strong favourites for the LC and EL (Leverkusen a distant 2nd, though in a one off not so distant for me). If we don't win them I'll be very disappointed.
In the PL Opta have us at about 30% something to City's 55% but for me that is based on a City of previous seasons not this. Nilsson Grace (or whatever they are called) seem to be far more accurate with most predictions compared to Opta and they have it as 42% to 38% in City's favour. That seems far more accurate considering the fixture list.
It it was based off City of old it’d be 95-5

Sigh. Well it's clearly not based on the City of season 2023/4. When was the last time they won 1:6 games?!
It’s based on the fact they always have a better second half of the season than the rest and as such are heavy favourites.

Last edited:
It’s based on the fact we always have a better second half of the season than the rest and as such are heavy favourites.
I assume you mean City and that is a fool's assumption. "Always".

Investment Data circumspection : historical data is not a predictor of future performance (esp. when the player roster has changed and key contributors lost).

I assume you mean City and that is a fool's assumption. "Always".

Investment Data circumspection : historical data is not a predictor of future performance (esp. when the player roster has changed and key contributors lost).
It’s not an exact science but most of this squad has been there and done it multiple times and of course that counts.

I don’t know, if they win back to back trebles and lift 4 titles in a row I think it will be virtually impossible to motivate them again while we should be able improve to Arsenals level last year which would have the title all but wrapped up already. Next year is the year just like the year after we went close.

I reckon they’ll be highly active in the transfer market next summer.

I’m increasingly feeling like Mo might not have another top season left in him.

I reckon they’ll be highly active in the transfer market next summer.

I’m increasingly feeling like Mo might not have another top season left in him.
I think you underestimate him. I can see him having another 3/4 like this one. He’s the ultimate professional.

Ditto us and Arsenal now.
Only a couple of Arsenal squad have won the league and that was with City, not Arsenal.
Nobody in our squad has multiple and we couldn’t get it done anytime City were close enough to exert maximum pressure.

Only a couple of Arsenal squad have won the league and that was with City, not Arsenal.
Nobody in our squad has multiple and we couldn’t get it done anytime City were close enough to exert maximum pressure.
Sigh again. It's nothing to do with winning the PL. It's all to do with the pressure of the run-in. There's an excellent list somewhere that shows many teams need to finish 2nd before they can go on to win it. Many of our squad have been there and done it, most of Arsenal's have last year's experience. Yet again I need to point out to you that using your inane logic no-one except City would ever win the PL again.

Sigh again. It's nothing to do with winning the PL. It's all to do with the pressure of the run-in. There's an excellent list somewhere that shows many teams need to finish 2nd before they can go on to win it. Many of our squad have been there and done it, most of Arsenal's have last year's experience. Yet again I need to point out to you that using your inane logic no-one except City would ever win the PL again.
I never said it wasn’t possible at all. I said the odds are stacked in City’s favour because they’ve gotten over the line time and time again with tight run ins. Ourselves and Arsenal have not. Of course we can win it but it’s obvious why City are firm favourites.

I think it will also be dependent on how far the other two teams come in the champions league. Bar last year with City, going far in that tournament usually means you drop off a bit in the league. Enough to not win it.

I think you underestimate him. I can see him having another 3/4 like this one. He’s the ultimate professional.

Maybe.

The output’s there, but the performances are definitely diminishing.

Time catching up on everyone, despite how professional they are - there’ll be a season at some point where the output drops.

I’m firmly in the “do not sell camp”, but I’m not sure he’ll be the same player with an extension - I fancy next season will be the one where he starts to noticeably drop off in end product.

But… I’m only guessing.

We should put all of our eggs into the title challenge basket. Our squad can’t fight on all fronts. City have an easy run til March which is their tough spell in the league, that will coincide with CL knock outs.

We need to keep prioritising the league and keeping up the intensity to win the winnable games (think United). The game against City will be important, but ensuring we get wins against the bottom 15 is where we will get the important points hauls. If we have 19 games left, i think we need at least 14 wins in there. Maybe more if we lose to City.

I know he’s a joke for the right reasons but Thiago back for the second half would be huge. Whether that’s in the league where he can control the midfield, or being the consistent presence in our cup games.

League 2nd or 1st.
Europa Win
League Cup Win

Expectations have risen. We are well in the title race. I think we will finish above Arsenal simply because Klopp is a better manager than Arteta. Whether he can keep us ahead of City is debatable.

If we can get through AFCON and the Asia cup with a buffer in fact then I'll start to believe more.

We should put all of our eggs into the title challenge basket. Our squad can’t fight on all fronts. City have an easy run til March which is their tough spell in the league, that will coincide with CL knock outs.

We need to keep prioritising the league and keeping up the intensity to win the winnable games (think United). The game against City will be important, but ensuring we get wins against the bottom 15 is where we will get the important points hauls. If we have 19 games left, i think we need at least 14 wins in there. Maybe more if we lose to City.

I know he’s a joke for the right reasons but Thiago back for the second half would be huge. Whether that’s in the league where he can control the midfield, or being the consistent presence in our cup games.

Yep I'd happily sacrifice the cups for a genuine shot at a title that we can win. City have a bad season once every 4 or 5 years, you have to be able to take advantage of the opportunities as they come. City are not looking dialed in this season, so far. We should absolutely prioritise the league over any and every other comp as necessary. Bin the Cup game away to Arsenal, we will play full strength v Fulham knowing there's 11 days til our league game v Bournemouth and we could put the tie to bed ideally.

Let's be real here we went all in on a quadruple and finsihed up with the 2 lesser trophies, we ended the season running on empty and the following year we were wrecked. We need to be smarter about how we use our resources. The league should be a clear priority, everything else is 2nd. We can reasses in mid March when the EL starts again, but I can't believe anybody would seriously jeopardize another league title for the League Cup/FA Cup.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom