• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Adjusted Season Expectations

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yep I'd happily sacrifice the cups for a genuine shot at a title that we can win. City have a bad season once every 4 or 5 years, you have to be able to take advantage of the opportunities as they come. City are not looking dialed in this season, so far. We should absolutely prioritise the league over any and every other comp as necessary. Bin the Cup game away to Arsenal, we will play full strength v Fulham knowing there's 11 days til our league game v Bournemouth and we could put the tie to bed ideally.

Let's be real here we went all in on a quadruple and finsihed up with the 2 lesser trophies, we ended the season running on empty and the following year we were wrecked. We need to be smarter about how we use our resources. The league should be a clear priority, everything else is 2nd. We can reasses in mid March when the EL starts again, but I can't believe anybody would seriously jeopardize another league title for the League Cup/FA Cup.

100%. We’d all have taken one of CL/PL instead of the domestic cups

100%. We’d all have taken one of CL/PL instead of the domestic cups
Problem is Klopp will go for them all like the quad season is which ultimately led to us losing both of the ones we really would have settled for 1 of from the 4 and winning the two we cared least about.

Problem is Klopp will go for them all like the quad season is which ultimately led to us losing both of the ones we really would have settled for 1 of from the 4 and winning the two we cared least about.

I love Klopp and his optimistic nature is a core part of his psyche but if he didn't learn anything from running a title winning team into the ground chasing the quadruple then I don't know what to say. Sure go for them all, but you need to be pragmatic and accept that when it comes down to it not all trophies are equal.

League - 3rd
Europa League - Semi or greater
League Cup - Winners
Fa Cup - 3rd round loss

which would be terrific and a great platform fora full on go in 24/25

Maybe.

The output’s there, but the performances are definitely diminishing.

Time catching up on everyone, despite how professional they are - there’ll be a season at some point where the output drops.

I’m firmly in the “do not sell camp”, but I’m not sure he’ll be the same player with an extension - I fancy next season will be the one where he starts to noticeably drop off in end product.

But… I’m only guessing.
You could well be right, I just hope he’s more a Messi and Ronaldo type where his numbers are still outstanding into his mid 30’s.

The logic in here is that City scored 3 goals when 2-0 down against Villa and Courtois played a blinder in Paris all because Liverpool held Chelsea to two 0-0 draws in Wembley.

Fine margins, and I do not believe that those were dictated by the fact that we won two cups - as they say "winning breeds winning" and that is what we did that season, and, but for those fine margins, almost completed football.

The impact on the following season I'll give you, but not the missing out on PL & CL

The logic in here is that City scored 3 goals when 2-0 down against Villa and Courtois played a blinder in Paris all because Liverpool held Chelsea to two 0-0 draws in Wembley.

Fine margins, and I do not believe that those were dictated by the fact that we won two cups - as they say "winning breeds winning" and that is what we did that season, and, but for those fine margins, almost completed football.

The impact on the following season I'll give you, but not the missing out on PL & CL

Completely agree. No guarantee that we would have won either CL or PL if we'd have tossed off other cups either.

Our confidence was shot going to Paris partly because we were knackered, hence playing poorly and low on confidence.

pl - winner. we have 2 points lead. it's for us to lose
europa - winner. apart from bayer. i'm not that worried
carabao - winner. there's a high chance we are going to the final. most likely against chelsea. might as well win it
fa cup - it's nice to challenge for this one too but first game against top pl team. won't complain either if we field kids and out early

I think people are mixing up expectations and desires. Fully expect us not to win anything, 2nd or 3rd in the league, win the league cup, out in the semis of the Europa, and quarters of the FA Cup depending on who we draw. Hope we win them all like.

I came into the season expecting top 4, and a Europa Cup. Though I would love us to go all the way, I know City will spend £200m to address their short comings.
Europa Cup, FA Cup, League Cup and a top 4 finish just like the late GH.

I can't see City being nearly as bad the second half of this season, so we'll have to improve a lot to hold them off. Can't really see it tbh.

We'll probably win at least one of the League Cup and EL. Couldn't care less about the cup, Arsenal will probably beat us anyway.

Improve a lot or have decision go our way.

We could easily be a further 8-9pts ahead, had decisions been made correctly in some big games. We probably should be.

Yeah, but on the other hand we've scraped loads of points we barely deserved.

Reactions: dee
Yeah, but on the other hand we've scraped loads of points we barely deserved.

True. But as have others.

It's one thing scraping an undeserved win late (mentality monsters), and another thing being cheated out of points you could, probably should have earned.

But I take your point, we do need to do better AND get a bit of luck.

From my perspective it’s more about points dropped in busy spells of the season. That quad chasing year we dropped a lot of points around Christmas as we used to many key PL players in our cup squads (in my opinion)

Our true title chances will be known when Mo is back. Imagine if we win all 3-4 games he’s away for, his return will be a boost but more importantly the rest of the squad will be flying. I’m really backing Elliot, Szobo, Darwin, Jota etc to become match winners that period.

Mo returning after we’ve beaten Arsenal at the Emirates… imagine.

Last edited:
True. But as have others.

It's one thing scraping an undeserved win late (mentality monsters), and another thing being cheated out of points you could, probably should have earned.

But I take your point, we do need to do better AND get a bit of luck.

For my money I just tend to think our points total so far is about par for our performances. We're solid defensively but have way too many games where we look disjointed and uninspired up front. The new attack just hasn't clicked at all yet - there's individual quality there but no real sense of a cohesive unit. Unless that changes I think we'll struggle to hold off City and Arsenal.

For my money I just tend to think our points total so far is about par for our performances. We're solid defensively but have way too many games where we look disjointed and uninspired up front. The new attack just hasn't clicked at all yet - there's individual quality there but no real sense of a cohesive unit. Unless that changes I think we'll struggle to hold off City and Arsenal.

Under Klopp, I've always felt we get better as the season goes along in terms of fitness and quality of performances.

I guess you haven't been watching City and Arsenal then? Because what you've stated you've seen from us also applies to both of them.
Inconsistency is the name of the game for all clubs this season, and that's what gives us a great chance because, as everyone is so keen to point out, we are a team in transition/evolution which by definition means we have more room for improvement in the 2nd half of the season as players return from injury and the team gels.

I guess you haven't been watching City and Arsenal then? Because what you've stated you've seen from us also applies to both of them.
Inconsistency is the name of the game for all clubs this season, and that's what gives us a great chance because, as everyone is so keen to point out, we are a team in transition/evolution which by definition means we have more room for improvement in the 2nd half of the season as players return from injury and the team gels.

Arsenal won 14 out of 17 games at the start of the season last season and couldn’t keep the pace in the 2nd half - historically they are the reverse Man City; they start better than they finish.

Arsenal won 14 out of 17 games at the start of the season last season and couldn’t keep the pace in the 2nd half - historically they are the reverse Man City; they start better than they finish.
Sorry but what has last season, and historical data, got to do with the state of those teams this season and with anything I said about their performances this season?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom