• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Arthur Melo

Status
Not open for further replies.
He was highly rated a while ago. I think he went in that swap deal with Pjanic from Barca to Juventus. Absolutely no idea how he's been doing since.

Do we not have 20 million to even get Douglas Luiz? I think Arthur is a DLP like Thiago, but not as good obviously. I think he's kinda slow and unathletic. He'd help us inasmuch as we're desperate for bodies in midfield, but seems a bit uninspiring. We desperately need some athleticism in that midfield.

Wow. That is a name I have not even fucking heard of. He's from Juve though.

It makes sense if we are going to go all out next summer (Wych we know we won't)

He was very highly rated when he was signed from Gremio. But not heard much of him since.
Mostly known these last few years for that bizarre swap deal with Pjanic.

Do we not have 20 million to even get Douglas Luiz? I think Arthur is a DLP like Thiago, but not as good obviously. I think he's kinda slow and unathletic. He'd help us inasmuch as we're desperate for bodies in midfield, but seems a bit uninspiring. We desperately need some athleticism in that midfield.
By all accounts, no! Hope FSG are planning to sell, they're frugalness will backfire. Chelsea went for £2.7bn, Liverpool have a 61000 seater stadium, and very little debt, with growing income streams. I'd say £3.5bn would do it

Anyway, get ready tobe underwhelmed. I wouldn't mind so much, but Klopp talked so much about getting the "Right Player" and not "A Player". This seems every much "A Player" who Juve feel is surplus to requirement

Last edited:
I love how all summer is we'll only sign the "right" midfielder. Now, it's Douglas luiz from villa if we're lucky, alongside a footballer who I legitimately did not know existed, who's 26 years
It's Kabak and Davies all over again. The Henderson hamstring injury is probably forcing us to do *something*

Anyway, Arthur is technically really good, so that's one thing. He'll definitely help us for that troublesome LCM spot, and also help us in that first phase of play out of defence, which we've been really struggling with. The guy can receive the ball and turn and spray the ball around. Will definitely speed up our play offensively. Not sure how much he'll help us defensively, because he's kinda small and weak. 26 is not the best age for a player to really come into the PL either. Looks like the double pivot is here to stay also.

Melo on loan might make sense if we also sign a PL proven CM like Luiz or Tielemens. I think there is a very strong case for needing both.

Posting obligatory Welcome to Liverpool video

He's shitter version of Thiago basically. Looks to have some decent defensive contribution but passing and being strong in possession seems the key attributes. No doubt a decent short term fit for LCM.

Have to say when we finally get a midfielder in, its meh.

Part of wiki: this will fill all of you with joy

During his time at Barcelona, however, he came under criticism from Luis Suárez and Ernesto Valverde, among others, for his positional play, and for his apparent reluctance to pass the ball in the direction that the offensive team was trying to move towards, namely the opposition's goal line.[24] In 2020, former midfielder Enzo Maresca stated that he felt Arthur was best suited to the roles of either an attacking midfielder or a mezzala.[25]

In the past few seasons he has played 20, 22, 21 league games. Not sure if this is due to injuries or not being a starter, but that isn't hugely encouraging.

In the past few seasons he has played 20, 22, 21 league games. Not sure if this is due to injuries or not being a starter, but that isn't hugely encouraging.

Not a start imo - the Pjancic / Arthur swap just didn't work for either club.
He wasn't bad at Barca

He was good at Barca. Seems it has not worked out for him in Italy. We'll end up getting the Italy version. If he plays many games at all for us.

It's a bizarre signing though in that it doesn't provide any answers to the long-term future of our midfield.

We now have 9 midfielders, with 4 of them having 1 year left. I'm assuming Ox, Milner are certain to leave, and I suspect that the new deal for Keita will not materialise. Now Arthur might give us some short term relief, but do we actually buy him next year if he plays well? He'll be 27 next year and isn't exactly an impressive physical specimen.

This does very little to alleviate the pressure on us in future transfer windows. Just a short term fix that'll help us the way Kabak did briefly.

If we're getting a Luiz type as well as this lad, I'd be somewhat fine with it.

He looks like a worse version of Thiago, and that's not a bad thing. We need this type of balanced passing/dribbling midfielder to step in when Thiago gets his inevitable injury.

why it didn't work out at Barca

• High expectations: Initially dubbed as the next Xavi, the midfielder failed to become a regular at Barca and lacked consistency throughout his two years at the Camp Nou.
  • Injury record: Arthur has missed 24 games due to 11 different health issues - 7 of them came because of the chronic groin injury.
  • Connections to Neymar: Barca didn't like Arthur's close bond with the fellow Brazilian, especially after he left for Neymar's party just two days of the Real Madrid match.
  • Snowboarding incident: While recovering from a groin injury earlier this season, the midfielder and his partner went snowboarding which angered the club.
Arthur has reportedly gone on strike as he wants Barcelona to terminate his contract. The Brazilian will join Juventus next season as they paid €72m plus €10m in add-ons for his services.

According to TV3, the reason for his absence is because he was snowboarding on 3 December (before the Atlético game) and on Sunday, 24 November (after Leganés). This activity, which is not compatible with football given the stress it puts on your hips and knees, has delayed his recovery.
Arthur was at Grau Roig in Grandvalira accompanied by Barcelona's keeper, Neto, and his family. The difference between the two players is that Neto did not do any activity related to skiing. Arthur played the last few minutes against Atlético at the Wanda Metropolitano.
The game against Real Sociedad will be the third consecutive game he has missed with the pubis injury.

I'm trying to find his injury history and can't for some reason, because I noticed he plays so few games or minutes. I've read he has been out quite frequently for Barca and had a 3 month lay off at Juve.
@King Binny if you could help please or anyone

There is excitement among Arsenal supporters at the prospect of signing Arthur on loan from Juventus this winter. According to Fabrizio Romano, talks have been held about the possibility of bringing the 25-year-old midfielder to the Emirates.

Arthur was one of the highest rated Brazilian prospects of recent times when he emerged at Grêmio, where he won the 2017 Copa Libertadores and was even named man of the match in the second leg of the final. But, after signing with Barcelona in 2018 and then Juventus in 2020, it hasn’t yet worked out for Arthur in Europe.
Why has he struggled in Catalonia and Turin? And, can Arthur still make it at the top level? Here, we take a look.

As he came through at Grêmio, Arthur’s biggest strength was his ability to keep possession, both through accurate passing and his ability to shrug off opposition defenders. When arriving at the Camp Nou, the right-footed midfielder’s playing style drew comparisons to Xavi and Andrés Iniesta. “Being compared with Xavi and Iniesta is fantastic and I’m happy that people say I have Barça DNA,” the Brazilian said at the time.

At Barcelona, Arthur did indeed help the side keep possession as he played in the left midfield role of a 4-3-3, completing 94% of his passes in his first season of 2018/19 and 92% in 2019/20. Those numbers were the best of all Barça midfielders.
The problem with Arthur

Arthur’s high pass completion numbers, though, were in large part because of the types of passes he was playing. Too often he played the ball sideways or backwards. He kept possession, yes. But, he didn’t take many risks at all.

The books-balancing swap

In the summer of 2020, Arthur was sent to Juventus and Miralem Pjanić came the other way, a swap that helped both clubs balance their books. This saw Arthur “sold” for a transfer fee of €76m, more than double his first price tag, although the reality is that neither Barcelona nor Juventus actually rated him that highly.

The transfer probably took place at the worst possible time for Arthur, as there had been some improvement in his second Barcelona season. Then, he had to start from scratch once again and he never truly settled.
At Juventus, he was misused positionally by Andrea Pirlo, which surprised commentators in Italy given how the Italian legend was expected to get the best out of each of his midfielders. With Arthur used too deep, he couldn’t make an impact in the opposition half and his ball retention skills were wasted.

Besides falling out of favour under both Pirlo and Allegri, another reason why Arthur has made so few appearances at Juventus is his worrying injury record. Over his three and a half seasons in Europe, Arthur has missed a total of 41 games through 14 separate physical issues. That has also been a factor in his struggles, preventing him from ever building up proper consistency.

The only positive I can hold onto is that he’s played a bunch of games for Brazil alongside Bobby, Fabs, Alli etc. hopefully they’ve seen enough to encourage Klopp that he’sa good short term cover fit.

According to TV3, the reason for his absence is because he was snowboarding on 3 December (before the Atlético game) and on Sunday, 24 November (after Leganés). This activity, which is not compatible with football given the stress it puts on your hips and knees, has delayed his recovery.
Arthur was at Grau Roig in Grandvalira accompanied by Barcelona's keeper, Neto, and his family. The difference between the two players is that Neto did not do any activity related to skiing. Arthur played the last few minutes against Atlético at the Wanda Metropolitano.
The game against Real Sociedad will be the third consecutive game he has missed with the pubis injury.

WTF is that, an accident with a Manscape Razor?

…and maybe he’s Thiago cover and we’ll still look to cover Hendo / Fabs via a Luiz type signing???

I'm trying to find his injury history and can't for some reason, because I noticed he plays so few games or minutes. I've read he has been out quite frequently for Barca and had a 3 month lay off at Juve.
@King Binny if you could help please or anyone

[xtable]
{tbody}
{tr}
{td}22/23{/td}
{td}Ankle problems{/td}
{td}Aug 8, 2022{/td}
{td}Aug 16, 2022{/td}
{td}8 days{/td}
{td}1{/td}
{/tr}
{tr}