• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • Repeating an offer I made a while ago. If anyone wants me to change their username then just DM me (@Dee)

Ashes 2009.

Oncy

6CM Addict
Honorary Member
Our team looks a fucking shambles at the moment. Just totally unbalanced and without Flintoff who cant be relied on over a series we are piss weak in attack.
The only thing making me think we have a chance is how poor Australia have been of late, and how we up our game on home soil. (the decision to play the first test in Wales is a mindboggling one).
Realistically given the relatively poor attacks vs strong batting line ups means im gonna predict not many results, so optimistic me says 1-1 but realist me says 2-1 oz.

I hope in the next few months a bowler or 2 finds some good form otherwise forget it, teams that play us for a draw get it simple as that (sound familiar?) and i hope Strauss grows a set. Enforces follow ons, declares 50 runs earlier, lets really get at them.
Australia are bullies and once they get momentum their tough to stop, they just steamroller teams. When you get at them and get under their skin they are beatable, but they have to half beat themselves, a fit firing confident Aus team with Ponting, Clarke, Hussey and Symonds? Leading the attack are a hell of a team, but we shouldnt be scared, we musnt be.

My squad-
cook
bopara
panesar
pieterson
flintoff
bell
strauss
anderson
broad
sidebottom
prior
shah
harmison
collingwood
mahmood.
Starting team-
Cook - needs to begin converting starts into scores, but still our best opening option...although if Vaughan stays fit and proves his form between now and then....ya know
Strauss - Alarmingly seems to me a bit of an over cautious gaffer which is fine if you werent a team who capitulates every 6th innings and then have to come from behind every series. That said his batting has been brilliant.
Pieterson - i dont mind him batting lower down in one day or 20/20 but he shouldnt be made to feel like he has to save a match. Play him at 3 and let him off his fucking leash.
Bopara - just terrific potential and i want him to be trusted now and play towards the future.
Collingwood - my choice as captain, and id always play him at 5 as hes the last person we can pin our innings on.
Flintoff - you dont leave him out if fit.
Prior - needs to do every single thing in his game a lot better, not enough catches, not enough stumpings, not even enough runs, but we need to stop fucking around and give the lad a full year to learn the expectations. Im sick of one series in one out for keepers. Let him play and see if he improves.
Broad - first pick bowler because of ìs batting ability. I think hell be a massive player for us in future.
Anderson - takes wickets and bowls line and length, if Prior could catch would have much better stats.
Panesar - the best we have at spin.
Sidebottom - tremendously disciplined although slightly less agressive than harmison with the ball, i like his attitude and his aggression with the opposition team, and you need that against oz.

And thats that. Any other offers?

I'm really looking forward to this again.

I'd go for:

Strauss
Vaughan
Shah
KP
Collingwood
Prior
Freddie
Rashid
Broad
Harmison
Anderson/Monty (depending on the pitch)

I wouldn't mind seeing Cook open and Shah dropping out either.

England & Wales 2 - Criminals 1

There is plenty of talent in the counties, and after the ashes, we need a huge shake up.

We don't have a coach as of yet do we either?

Australia were poor in their home series against South Africa who, by the way, are very good. However, the Aussies have just won the return series 2-1 in South Africa.
They have had a high turnover of players in the last couple of years, a lot of experienced players have retired (Langer, Martyn, Hayden, McGrath, Warne, Gilchrist), some are now crash out of form (Lee, Symonds). So, they are blooding a lot of new ones who started quietly but a few are now showing promise. Look out for opener Phil Hughes who has had a sensational start to his test career aged 20 and Mitchell Johnson who is a fast bowler but knocked 100 in the last test.
I rang my Bro over Xmas to tell him to bet on England winning the Ashes but things have gone full circle since then and I'm not so sure anymore. Will be fascinating anyway.

It isn't so much the batting order but the lack of strike bowlers.

Anderson, not bad but better when getting reverse swing.
Broad, length bowler more than anything.
Freddie, quality, hits the deck hard and fast but can't bowl long spells - 5/6 over bursts
Monty, lacks variation, speed sometimes is too quick - has great potential

The problem is that ANderson can be really bad on certain days, broad is vey inexperienced, freddie is a permacrock and monty lacks expereince and variation.

I would look at jones coming back in.

After seeing South Africa beat Australia in Australia - I thought the up coming Ashes would be a real contest.

But since Australia easily beat South Africa in South Africa - now I have Aussies as favourites.

It won't be 5-0 in my opinion.

[quote author=Rafa4PM link=topic=32365.msg832401#msg832401 date=1238095221]
The Degan effect.
[/quote]

Quite so, but Worcs.seem reasonably confident he's coming back this season. Here's hoping.

[quote author=Judge Jules link=topic=32365.msg837195#msg837195 date=1238792438]
[quote author=Rafa4PM link=topic=32365.msg832401#msg832401 date=1238095221]
The Degan effect.
[/quote]

Quite so, but Worcs.seem reasonably confident he's coming back this season. Here's hoping.
[/quote]

He's a great player when fit mate, but he's carrying far too much bulk to be a fast bowler. I'd bet that he'll come back and do very well again and then break down with another injury.

[quote author=Squiggles link=topic=32365.msg832663#msg832663 date=1238118582]
We're going to get...

Battered!
[/quote]

It's difficult to predict what's going to happen. We probably aren't going to be as strong as we were in the 2005 Ashes, but then neither are the Aussies.

I think it's time to say goodbye to Steve Harmison. He used to be fast but inaccurate, now he's not very fast but still inaccurate.

The Aussies will be favourites, but I suspect not by all that much.

Agree about Harmison. The potential rewards no longer justify the risk of picking him.

I think the Aussie team is beginning to come together again. They showed a lot of character in SA and some of the young lads have started to come through and step out of the shadow of the likes of Warne, Gilchrist, Hayden, etc.

Still missing a top quality spinner, but it will be a very interesting series.

My team would be this...

Cook
Strauss
Pieterson
Vaughan
Bell
Flintoff
Collingwood
Prior?? <--- Could change
Broad
Anderson
Panesar

I'd have it in that batting line up too... Although if Flintoff wasn't fit i'd swap him for a bowler rather than another alrounder.

I wouldn't have Vaughan in the team unless there was a radical improvement in his batting form at county level. Particularly as he would be picked as a batsman rather than the captain.

Dotty little team selected for the forthcoming west indies series.
Im dead chuffed to see some proven county talent their head. Im also happy that they finally seem to realise that we need a better attack to stop teams easily holding out for draws.
It looks done for harmison and vaughan.

[quote author=Gareth link=topic=32365.msg855892#msg855892 date=1241040792]
and Bell.
[/quote]Bells a lot younger. Hes had knocks like this before and come back.

As much as he frustrates me, I have a massive soft spot for Bell.

Yes, he is suspect outside his off stump, but his strokeplay is a joy to watch, I only wish he could kick on after compiling a pretty 40 odd.

One of the safest pairs of hands too.

I can't see Harmison getting back into the side. In the West Indies he was bowling at around 80 mph which is just not fast enough for a bowler who relies on pace to take wickets.

[quote author=Portly link=topic=32365.msg855954#msg855954 date=1241050430]
I can't see Harmison getting back into the side. In the West Indies he was bowling at around 80 mph which is just not fast enough for a bowler who relies on pace to take wickets.
[/quote]

I think he and Vaughan will play against the aussies.

I saw Harmison bowl yesterday in a county game and he was back up to over 90mph. Also Englands and Wales new boy was very impressive (was around the 85-88mph consistently and took 6 wickets)

Back
Top Bottom