• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Ashes 2023

Lyon can't move.. its a hard watch.

Surprised Broad didn't take a shy at the stumps. He's not running.

Australia are going to win this but that was downright cheating by Starc. You can't drag the ball along the floor and say you had control.

Same old aussies. Always cheating.

I don't know how I'd feel if Bairstow did that to Carey.

If he'd been warned then fair game.. but just leaves a sour taste.

Didn’t expect anything better from the Aussies.
Bairstow was in his own bubble there though, England seem to be doing same old stupid things like they have done like this test was being played in Aus.
Why is the English lower order batting so horrible, some of the shot selection from likes of Ollie Robinson was laughable. Do they never practice any batting as bowlers in the nets?

Smith and Warner blubbed on TV after the sand paper incident and begged for any opportunity to gain forgiveness.......... Didn't see either of them step forward on Sunday!

Can't wait for Thursday, it's going to be spicy!

Smith and Warner blubbed on TV after the sand paper incident and begged for any opportunity to gain forgiveness.......... Didn't see either of them step forward on Sunday!

Can't wait for Thursday, it's going to be spicy!
Usman wailed to get a posh boy ejected from the long room.

How low can they go? What did the old chap say?

"I say, that's just not cricket" is my guess.

Ollie Robinson won’t bowl again today.
I’m sure Aussie’s are shaking, such an average cricketer.

Difference between the teams was summed up today.

You don't drop 4 catches and expect to win a match.

Australia snaffled every one of their 3 chances.

Got to say this series had been excellent so far. Watching Wood run in and bowl that quickly, was yet another highlight. Hope England can win this test, to keep the series alive.

If anything it's the English fans, pundits etc that's bringing the game into disrepute by challenging a legally out decision.

Keep it X1 vs X1....don't need to cry so bad to make the mood of the crowd hostile etc. All the booing etc is unwatchable. Comes across as very bitter and small minded.

I'm fully onboard with this.

That video is from a baseball fan who admits to being very new to cricket.

Was Bairstow out by the letter of the law? - Yes
Was Bairstow stupid for putting himself in that position? - Without a doubt
Was it against the spirit of the game? Definitely!

If the booing is too much for you, then ashes cricket is not for you! The MCG and SCG Crowds are far more hostile!

Personally, I love the atmospheres at the games and it's a great day out to watch live. The atmosphere is part of the reason why test match cricket is still popular in this country, where it seems it's dying in most other parts of the world.

And let's not forget, that people still view this Aussie team as cheats for what they did in SA with the Sand Paper incident.

That video is from a baseball fan who admits to being very new to cricket.

Was Bairstow out by the letter of the law? - Yes
Was Bairstow stupid for putting himself in that position? - Without a doubt
Was it against the spirit of the game? Definitely!

If the booing is too much for you, then ashes cricket is not for you! The MCG and SCG Crowds are far more hostile!

Personally, I love the atmospheres at the games and it's a great day out to watch live. The atmosphere is part of the reason why test match cricket is still popular in this country, where it seems it's dying in most other parts of the world.
This is exactly it.

The umpires were
a) Reaching to give the cap to Green
b) looking towards the ground

Bairstow himself shuffled a bit and scratched the mark before going on his wander.

So for me it's against the spirit of the game

Was it naive by Bairstow? I'd argue no. The dismissal is akin to Mankad. Those who think it was fair presumably think Mankad is fair without a warning.

The warning should have been given IMO.

What makes this worse than mankading imo, is that the batter is trying to get an advantage in that scenario........ Bairstow wasn't.

If anything it's the English fans, pundits etc that's bringing the game into disrepute by challenging a legally out decision.

Keep it X1 vs X1....don't need to cry so bad to make the mood of the crowd hostile etc. All the booing etc is unwatchable. Comes across as very bitter and small minded.

Then what about the industrial strength whinging from the Australians about the barracking they got in the Long Room? Let's not imagine this was one-sided when it manifestly wasn't.

Personally I've got no time for 'spirit of the game' and find it largely a bullshit argument spewed by old white men who have just spat out their Earl Grey. It has a place, but providing the laws of the game have been adhered to, nothing else matters. I've played very limited cricket, but staying in your crease until over is called is the first lesson. It's beyond basic and for a professional cricketer should fall for that is laughable, frankly. This is Ashes test cricket. Stupidity deserves punishing and taking advantage of.

Regretfully English cricket is shrouded with an antiquated culture at all levels and that feeds into the media narrative of events.

1. The ball was not dead.
2. Umpired didn't call over. It's irrelevant if they were looking at the ground or if they were touching the hat.
3. Mankading now or ever doesn't need any warning. 38.3.1. This was wrong in the first place to be stigmatized is accepted generally now.
4. There are several comparable instances wicket keeper taking advantage of doozie inattentive batsmen. Batsmen don't get to decide when the ball is dead or when it's dead by scratching his leg. That's preposterous to think that it is. As soon as the ball went past him, Bairstow did that. May be he thinks Keeper is not part of the game (which will be odd considering his job)
5. What Broad did and what many pundits supporting england did is that they were mocking something that happened on field within the rules of the game and deemed ok by the game's authority outside of the game and tried to bring in more outside factors. What happened in long room is outside the game....it can be rightly criticized outside the game. Its not comparable.

Australia have played hard but fair cricket in this Ashes. So have England and have been very competitive inspite of missing Archer and Wood in the first two tests. But it's not the first time England have tried to look for moral victory when they have lost a hard fought match. We have seen this before.

Personally I've got no time for 'spirit of the game' and find it largely a bullshit argument spewed by old white men who have just spat out their Earl grey.

If you like I will add quotes from current/legends players from Sri Lanka, the West Indies, Pakistan and India to disprove your above statement.

I'll just post this one

Sachin Tendulkar

The Spirit of Cricket is a value that has always been very important to me personally.[

Last edited:
I think you need to play cricket to get this personally.

Here's a scenario for you (a West Indian legend made a similar point on this).

1st to 5th ball of the over and the wicket keeper has caught the ball standing back to a quick, with the batsman not trying to gain any advantage. When is it not ok for the wicket keeper to try for the 'stumping'?

Its generally accepted that if the batsman has shown he's not attempting a run and they've returned to their ground, they are considered 'in'............The Aussies took advantage.

I like the law change to mankading as it makes it crystal clear now.

The key difference is that the batsman is trying to gain an advantage in that scenario.

It wasn’t against the written laws of the game however it would never be given in any junior or senior game. In fact, they would just get a warning. Dead ball or not, it should have beem just considered as so.
Anyway, Aussies aren’t exactly known for maintaining spirit of the game so not even sure the surprise here.
Not sure, what Broad did wrong post that, thought was funny but would have preferred if England just batted out second innings and won the game.

Batsman have been doing what Bairstow did since test match cricket has been around, yet how many examples of this dismissal can you recall?

There is a very good reason why the number will be extremely low.......

Brian Lara says there is no problem with the spirit of cricket in how Carey stumped Bairstow. I suppose he has played enough Cricket to qualify to comment.

It's certainly not a clear cut right or wrong on this incident.......Although Brad Hogg ( the Australian) came out and said he'd have called him back ;)

224 to get, 10 wickets left. God almighty, you'd bite a hand off for that.

I'm disappointed that Travis Head has shaved his muzzy off.

You have a real hate for the England cricket team KJ, as you've demonstrated before. It is out, but it wasn't exactly proper cricket. It showed to me that the Aussies will do anything to win, even if it isn't in the spirit of the game. Jim Maxwell, a very enthusiastic Aussie and a commentator said that he thought the Aussies had left a bad taste in the mouth by winkling Bairstow out that way.

I think potentially could work on England’s favour if it can help fire them up. Everything was a bit too nice before.
Aussies always first to moan at other countries but quiet happy taking grounded catches and sand paper to hand when required above all else.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom