• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Aston Villa (A) 26th Dec, boxing day footy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hansern

Thinks he owns the place
At last the proper football is back. The golden Viking balls are smooth and ready for the holidays and for a big match at Villa park.
Villa with a new manager bounce, a fired up home crowd and some former Liverpool players ready to hurt our Christmas joy.

Will be a tough game this but we have to start with a positive result.

I'd go:

Alisson
TAA Matip Virgil Robbo
Hendo Fabinho Thiago
Salah Firmino Darwin

Merry Christmas SCM, lets hope for a lovely gift on boxing day!

The fuck?????

Have we just thrown Thread Starting protocol to the wind and made it a free for all!!!

Have we made Liz Truss a mod???

Next we’ll be renaming the “Fuck You Count Cup” to something ridiculous like the “FA Cup”!!!!

Brizz has been too busy to give it his full attention following the result of his seed spreading. That’s why we’ve been shite this season.

P
Brizz has been too busy to give it his full attention following the result of his seed spreading. That’s why we’ve been shite this season.

He needs to spaff some of his seed of hope in some match thread “toot sweet”!!

The fuck?????

Have we just thrown Thread Starting protocol to the wind and made it a free for all!!!

Have we made Liz Truss a mod???

Next we’ll be renaming the “Fuck You Count Cup” to something ridiculous like the “FA Cup”!!!!

Where the fuck have you been for the last few months? The golden Viking balls are undefeated in every match thread so far. We keep going with whats working.

Where the fuck have you been for the last few months? The golden Viking balls are undefeated in every match thread so far. We keep going with whats working.

Ok… carry on then my Danish friend!!!

I probably needed to add a smiley face to that last post, in case my Swedish friend, @Hansern misses the joke.

f56399e942ed192e7f8b070f95244c75--movie-drinking-games-s-movies.jpg

Firmino and Milner misses a couple of games according to Klopp. Trent looks like he'll be fit.

Carvalho to start on the left then, Darwin central.

Klopp won't do it but I'd quite like to see :

Nunez ------------------- Salah --------------------- Doak
(in his best position)

Firmino and Milner misses a couple of games according to Klopp. Trent looks like he'll be fit.

Carvalho to start on the left then, Darwin central.
I think he'll play Chamberlain. He said he was due to start on the left yesterday, but had been out sick a day or two.

Also expect a couple more to fall foul of the bug thats going round the squad

I think he'll play Chamberlain. He said he was due to start on the left yesterday, but had been out sick a day or two.

Also expect a couple more to fall foul of the bug thats going round the squad
To be fair, until he next gets injured he looked sharp enough yesterday.

It’ll be

Alisson

Trent Matip Virgil Robbo
Elliot Fabs Thiago
Salah Nunez Carvalho

only possible changes to this i see are Hendo / Naby getting a start in the middle.

Luckily Villa will be without Martinez and Olsen is shit. They had an attack looking dangerous before the WC with Bailey & Ings in form.

After seeing the upturn in energy vs City it's clear that last season (and injuries) really destroyed us, no surprise there (except for those that keep going on about 'age' being the issue). The WC break looks to have done us the world of good.
There were a few good signs vs City so hopefully getting Ali, VvD, Trent, Hendo and Fabs back, all to start not just get a run out, will add impetus and quality.

3-0 with Nunez hitting the target, Mo adding yet another and Doak coming on for 15 mins with the third to wrap it up.

We still have a chance in the CL if we get Diaz and Jota back on time and add a quality player in January. All hope lays there for this season, otherwise it's chasing 3rd/4th which we will achieve.

After seeing the upturn in energy vs City it's clear that last season (and injuries) really destroyed us, no surprise there (except for those that keep going on about 'age' being the issue). The WC break looks to have done us the world of good.
There were a few good signs vs City so hopefully getting Ali, VvD, Trent, Hendo and Fabs back, all to start not just get a run out, will add impetus and quality.

3-0 with Nunez hitting the target, Mo adding yet another and Doak coming on for 15 mins with the third to wrap it up.

We still have a chance in the CL if we get Diaz and Jota back on time and add a quality player in January. All hope lays there for this season, otherwise it's chasing 3rd/4th which we will achieve.

I have a feeling that our season hinges on Nunez being able to find his scoring boots and figure out how to put them on the right feet.

He needs to be putting away 1 or 2 of the sort of chances City presented him the other night - we’ve relied on being absolutely clinical for ages and with the injuries to Jota & Diaz and Bobby being Bobby - we need him taking those chances.

Otherwise we’re going to get done like we did by Forrest & Leeds few more times this season.

Thiago on if Liverpool will qualify for the Champions League this season:

"For sure. We are confident to arrive as far as we can in all competitions. [The break] will benefit us, it's new air in our lungs, so yeah.
"I think the players that came from the World Cup will be a bit tired but they have more rhythm. But I think it's a new era, a new moment for all of us. It never happened that the World Cup was in the middle of the season. We just have to learn and improve with that.
“The [exertions of the] season before, it was a World Cup in December, so it's tricky to say what happened in the first half of the season. We just want to do it better and we will.
"For sure, we all want to be better than the first half of the season - we work for it. I think today we did a high performance, physically as well. We're just ready for the next part of the season."

I would consider a 4-4-2/4-2-2-2 for this (and maybe for the rest of games until Jota comes back or we buy someone in January):

———Darwin——-Salah———
—Ox————————Elliott—
———Thiago——-Fabinho——
Robbo—-VVD——-Matip—-TAA
——————Alisson—————

Reasoning:
1. We are currently light on creativity, so need to keep Darwin and Mo as close to the goal as possible to maintain goal threat. Also Darwin needs be playing slightly on the left as his finishing is better from that side.

2. We’re light on good CM options; better use a basic system with 2 CMs rather than 3.

3. Elliott, Carvalho, Ox and Jones are all a more natural fit as wingers/playmakers in a 4-4-2/4-2-2-2 than in CM or as wing-forwards. Until Jota/Diaz come back these are the players who will be our primary creators.

4. Fabinho needs another midfielder next to him to compensate for his weak lateral coverage.

This system will give us less control and possession than 4-3-3, games will be more sea-saw and wild, which could suit us if the attackers convert their chances (and Alli makes the saves). I don’t think at this point we quite have the personnel to recreate the dominant 4-3-3 of previous years, at least not consistently.

Last edited:
I say it every time but I'd love to see a variation of 3-5-2.

Our midfield sucks and right now our forward options aren't particularly good.

------------ Alisson
---- Matip -- Konate --- VVD
TAA -------- Fabinho ------- Robbo
--- Hendo / Elliot --- Thiago
---------- Salah --- Nunez

If Konate isn't available, Gomez gets extra protection.. as do the fullbacks who no longer have a midfield that can cover their forward runs. And our pacey forwards get to play up top. And we don't have to play Ox. Win.

I guess there is a good reason why we haven't tried it but to me it seems like the perfect solution.

I love 3-5-2s. Especially one that's fluid and can transition to a 3-4-3 or 3-4-2-1 easily.

But not many managers know how to pull it off.

Ask Conte. He seems to only know how to line up for a 3-5-2 yet struggles for consistency.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom