• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Bendtner Gets UEFA Knickers In A Twist

Status
Not open for further replies.

themn

Very Well-Known

Guardian sport@guardian_sport
Football: Nicklas Bendtner handed one-match ban and €100,000 fine by Uefa for pants stunt http://bit.ly/NFXs6F

Euro 2012: Nicklas Bendtner banned and fined for underwear stunt

• Bendtner exposed sponsored boxer shorts in Portugal loss
• Denmark striker banned for one game and fined €100,000
Nicklas-Bendtner-003.jpg

Nicklas Bendtner with his 'lucky' boxer shorts. Photograph: Anne-Christine Poujoulat/AFP/Getty Images
Nicklas Bendtner has been banned for one competitive fixture and fined €100,000 (£80,383) by Uefa after exposing sponsored underwear inDenmark's European Championship defeat to Portugal last Wednesday.
After scoring his second goal of the night, in a match the Danes went on to lose 3-2, the striker pulled up his shirt and dropped his shorts slightly to reveal a pair of green boxer shorts with a betting firm's name written on them.
A statement from Uefa said: "Following the opening of disciplinary proceedings concerning the improper conduct of Denmark's Nicklas Bendtner at the Uefa Euro 2012 Group B match against Portugal in Lviv on Wednesday 13 June, the Uefa control and disciplinary body has decided to suspend the player for one competitive fixture.
"This suspension applies to the next 2014 Fifa World Cup match, including the qualifying competition, for which Bendtner is eligible. The player has also been fined €100,000."
When questioned afterwards about the incident, Bendtner, who spent last season on loan at Sunderland from Arsenal, said: "It is just a pair of lucky boxer shorts that I used in the first game as well and have used before the tournament. I didn't know I was breaking any rules but I am aware of that now."
The player has three days to lodge an appeal.

Richard Mason@MasonEcho
UEFA fines: £45,000 Spain 2004 (racism); £16,500 Serbia 2007 (racism); £10,000 Croatia 2008 (racism). €100,000 Bendtner (exposing pants).

Hmmm...

100,000? Seriously? That's a joke.

I wonder how much paddy power paid him.

Fucking shit cunt of an organisation

Fucking shambolic.

I'm full on livid.

We mustn't forget that this organisation made Dutch football fans sit in their pants as they were wearing shorts (or possibly lederhosen) that had the names of a brewer that wasn't an official sponsor.

I don't know how they can even try to justify this.

is this even legal ? that people can be fined because they show off some words or a picture that is in no means offensive, racist , provocative etc

He could have unveiled a crate of bananas from the sideline, ran around the pitch and threw them at every black player and still got fined less than this. Outrageous.

Compared to the fines received for crowd violence and racism that's pathetically and completely out of proportion. UEFA are complete dicks.

To be honest, I can understand to an extent why the fine was so much, given the amount of free advertising PP would have gotten out of it.

But all other fines should be more. Much more. It's the only way to get FA's to take other matters seriously.

To be honest, I can understand to an extent why the fine was so much, given the amount of free advertising PP would have gotten out of it.

But all other fines should be more. Much more. It's the only way to get FA's to take other matters seriously.

Well it seems UEFA are more concerned about free advertising than they are about racism in the game. It does show what really drives them. Money. The bent cunts.

agreed

Well it seems UEFA are more concerned about free advertising than they are about racism in the game. It does show what really drives them. Money. The bent cunts.

Yeah, I agree, but I can see why they are concerned about it. It's just a shame they aren't concerned with everything else too.

bet365-inplay-thumb.JPG

Cor, Ray! Here are the next hot bets: Rooney to pull down his shorts to promote The Finchley Clinic Arse Hair Transplant service; John Terry to tear off the tops of three women in the crowd, Bucks Fizz style, to reveal a plug for QuickieDivorce Dot Com; Roy Hodgson to stand on the touchline with Andrex's new Face Rub moist towelettes; and Howard Webb to blow his whistle and then reveal he's wearing the new Manc top underneath his ref outfit. Fanks, Ray!

Paddy Power today agreed to pay the £80,000 fine dished out to Denmark striker Nicklas Bendtner for exposing a pair of underwear bearing the bookmakers' logo.

Arsenal misfit Bendtner was yesterday banned for one competitive international and fined 100,000 euros by UEFA for lowering his shorts after scoring twice in his country's European Championship defeat to Portugal six days ago.

Paddy Power claimed they had been "inundated with messages via their social media channels suggesting they pick up the tab" for an incident they dubbed "pants-gate".

The bookmaker branded the UEFA sanction "barmy", alluding to the backlash against the fine being far in excess of those dished out for racism by European football's governing body.

A Paddy Power spokesperson said: "We pride ourselves on listening to our customers and what we heard loud and clear yesterday was that Nicklas Bendtner should not suffer as a result of UEFA's double standards.

"We don't believe that Nicklas should be penalised for nothing more serious than wearing his lucky underpants which, in fairness, was only a bit of fun."

The company added in a statement: "Paddy Power are also issuing an alert to all other players intending to wear their own lucky underpants in the remaining UEFA fixtures to keep the string tied tightly on their shorts so that they too don't face the wrath of the over the top UEFA pants police."

Bendtner, 24, was found guilty of improper conduct UEFA for his reaction to his second goal in Denmark's 3-2 Group B defeat to Portugal.

When questioned afterwards about the incident, Bendtner, who spent last season on loan at Sunderland, said: "It is just a pair of lucky boxer shorts that I used in the first game as well and have used before the tournament.

"I didn't know I was breaking any rules but I am aware of that now."

UEFA took a dim view, however, with Bendtner set to miss Denmark's opening 2014 World Cup qualifier.

The player was given three days to lodge an appeal.

The Croatian Football Federation have been fined 80,000 euros (£64,561) for their fans' racist abuse of Italy striker Mario Balotelli.

A Uefa statement said: "The Croatian Football Federation (HNS) has been fined 80,000 euros for the setting-off and throwing of fireworks, and the improper conduct of supporters (racist chants, racist symbols) at the Uefa Euro 2012 Group C match against Italy in Poznan on Thursday, 14 June."

as expected the fine is again less then that for a man who wore green pants with some logo on it .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom