• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Benteke - BOOOOOO the puns

Has there ever been a case of any striker over age of 28 moving to the PL and becoming a reasonable success? He may not be as slow as Morientes but he definitely is not fast enough. The adaptation will be too much for him.

If the links are true - Benteke, Llorente ( dunno what type of striker Bacca is?) - looks like we are looking for a more physical striker. Maybe we are changing our style of play?

There's always a first time for everything ... but I think he's a very good player who did very well in Bielsa (sp) teams, and is a far better option than Balotelli or Lambert ... However, the problem (for me) now becomes that it seems - if we sign him - our 4 strikers are Studge, Origi, Ings and Llorente ... Don't think that's good enough!

It'd be better than United's strike force. I'd prefer someone younger, but Llorente's a couple of years younger than van Persil when he won them the title.

None of our attackers are really get to the byline and cross types. We don't play that way.

Unless Rodgers is planning a major shift there is little point in getting someone like Benteke or Llorente for that matter.

We need someone who will work tirelessly, someone who's relatively quick and can make things happen, definitely don't see the point in Benteke. I hope Rodgers doesn't go blindly looking for experience, ignoring that the player might not fit the style of play. There's not alot wrong with our approach play, so trying to change that while plugging the other gaps in our team is pointless.

We'll get 40M odd for Sterling, dish 10 of that to QPR for their cut, and lump the other 30 odd to Villa for this bloke who needs crosses.

And we don't cross the ball. And then we'll sell him to Sunderland in 2 years time for 9M.

It's all so fucking depressing.

I don't understand how Rodgers would make a statement of intent regarding his footballing philosophy by bombing out Carroll, then try and sign Benteke 3 years later.
Rodger's most successful season ever came when he had quick, clever, skillful forwards moving everywhere and destroying defenses. How will Benteke help bring that back?
Crazy.

I don't understand how Rodgers would make a statement of intent regarding his footballing philosophy by bombing out Carroll, then try and sign Benteke 3 years later.
Rodger's most successful season ever came when he had quick, clever, skillful forwards moving everywhere and destroying defenses. How will Benteke help bring that back?
Crazy.

Yup. Wasn't it Barrett who said recently that he doesn't understand how you can go from targeting Sanchez one summer to the polar opposite in Benteke the next.

Benteke is nothing like Carroll. He's good at footy and stuff. I don't want us to buy him but comparing him to Carroll is lazy stupid bullshit.

You know the way Belgium get all the props for being a proper technical footballing side and Benteke starts for them and Orgy doesn't etc

Quite.

Benteke being a paceless, lumbering archetypal centre forward, standing on the penalty spot waiting for crosses all season:

I'm not his biggest fan and don't really think he's what we need, but alot of people are doing him a massive injustice with their generalisations.

Err.. no we didn't. Fowler and Heskey were both at the club together, and Benteke is nothing like Heskey.

Yes I know they were together. Heskey as the Key man and Fowler as the bit part player benched when ever there were a big game. So however you see it, I still see it as we replaced Fowler with Heskey.

Yup. Wasn't it Barrett who said recently that he doesn't understand how you can go from targeting Sanchez one summer to the polar opposite in Benteke the next.

Rodgers seems to have done this from the start. I'm starting to think he's seriously clueless.

Yes I know they were together. Heskey as the Key man and Fowler as the bit part player benched when ever there were a big game. So however you see it, I still see it as we replaced Fowler with Heskey.

Well he scored 22 in his first season, won the treble and the Super Cup, so it wasn't all bad.

Has there ever been a case of any striker over age of 28 moving to the PL and becoming a reasonable success?

Eto'o maybe? Joined Chelsea at 32, got 9 goals, 5 assists in 21 league appearances, which is a very good record on a goals+assists / game level, though he played about just over half the games. 3 goals and 2 assists in the same season in the CL as well. I'd say that seems reasonably successful given the age he joined at.

Eto'o maybe? Joined Chelsea at 32, got 9 goals, 5 assists in 21 league appearances, which is a very good record on a goals+assists / game level, though he played about just over half the games. 3 goals and 2 assists in the same season in the CL as well. I'd say that seems reasonably successful given the age he joined at.

Does Zola count?

Austin's sounding a better prospect each time a new rumour surfaces. Benteke is wortb £20m and I would be happy him joining at that price.

He isn't, but the vast majority of his goals come from crosses - something which we don't do.

Go on lad, get it off your chest. Admit you talk a lot of shit too. Just Adam. Admit you were wrong. You'll feel better for it. We're all dickheads together here. There's no need to be proud. We're here for you when you're ready.

Heh, it wasn't really a dig, just remembered your Carroll fascination s'all.

I know I'm wrong about millions of stuff, I know it's not a dig. I know you study the game and all that shit. Which is why I can't fathom how you'd lazily bracket Carroll and Benteke together. And why you continue to pretend the Welsh Xavi isn't shite.

I swear some of you don't actually watch any football. Benteke is not a carbon copy of Andy Carroll, not even close.

How would the team be setup around him? Will we continue to hardly ever cross the ball? Will Benteke play as a target man, or will he be running behind the defence and pulling them apart 100 times a game, the way Suarez and Sturridge (when he could be bothered) were doing?

It's not about Benteke being a 'carbon copy' of Carroll (did someone say that?). It's about how we'd play, how tactics will change, depending on the type of outlet we have up top.

I know I'm wrong about millions of stuff, I know it's not a dig. I know you study the game and all that shit. Which is why I can't fathom how you'd lazily bracket Carroll and Benteke together. And why you continue to pretend the Welsh Xavi isn't shite.

I don't bracket Carroll and Benteke togethor, and haven't done anywhere on this thread, or anywhere else.

I rate Allen. I know it's not popular, and it's not being done for the sake of adversity, but he can play. I watched those last two Wales games to see if I was kidding myself, and again - he was superb.

It's fashionable to dislike him cos he does nothing noticeable, I get that.

Back
Top Bottom