• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Best DM ever - past & present

Status
Not open for further replies.
He meant Keane, but yeah, was trying to give him an out. McGrath started out in midfield, before he was moved to CB. He'd have been a perfect DM though.

It's dreamy.

He probably meant John Sheridan.

Best DM ever has to be this classic number
11822006_TRADITIONAL_1460_BLACK_SMOOTH2.jpg

Does it come with gloryholes?

Makelele. What set him apart for me was that he was almost always the composed guy who was in control of himself and rarely saw red, whereas the likes of Vieira and Keane were more likely to cost their team with untimely sackings. As a off-field bonus, he was also not involved in public drama as far as I know whereas the likes of Vieira and Keane were no strangers to it when it came to contract renewal or press interview time.

Dieter Eilts is not a name that comes up very often but his performances for Germany in the 1996 Euro finals were peerless.

Similarly, when Platini was in his pomp for France Jean Tigana rarely got a mention but was an immense player.

Fox, you couldn't be more wrong about the DM postion and when it's performed well it's a joy to watch a top player break down the opposition's attacking ambitions.

Eilts was good but Euro 96 was also where Sammer was named Player of the Tournament.

If I remembered correctly, Sammer was linked with us right after the tournament. But Uncle Roy and Moores couldn't afford him and bought Berger instead. And later Ince for the DM role.

Eilts was good but Euro 96 was also where Sammer was named Player of the Tournament.

If I remembered correctly, Sammer was linked with us right after the tournament. But Uncle Roy and Moores couldn't afford him and bought Berger instead. And later Ince for the DM role.
I know Sammer was voted player of the tournament but many German pundits thought Eilts should have won it. Sammer's performances were more eye-catching but he was hugely enabled by Eilts covering him everytime he moved forward with the ball.

Was Sammer not a sweeper though?
He was during that tournament. He started off his career as a DM. During the tournament he regularly brought the ball out of defence and into the opposition half to great effect but, as I mentioned, he was able to do this so often because he knew Eilts was covering him.

Sorry was it DM? I didn't read the title properly. I'm 5 hours behind you all and more than likely pissed when I wrote it.

Viera is the best CM I've seen however.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom