• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

'Big Story'

Status
Not open for further replies.
I dunno individuals.

But I do know I've been talking to the wall about this shithead when it's always been completely clear what his motives are.

[quote author=Woland link=topic=47157.msg1411139#msg1411139 date=1318370478]
I dunno individuals.

But I do know I've been talking to the wall about this shithead when it's always been completely clear what his motives are.
[/quote]

I agree with you, I've said as much all the way through despite being very supportive of them.

I think once Moores sold the club we threw ourselves into big business and everything that comes with it, too late to complain about it now.

[quote author=Rosco link=topic=47157.msg1411142#msg1411142 date=1318370569]
[quote author=Woland link=topic=47157.msg1411139#msg1411139 date=1318370478]
I dunno individuals.

[/quote]

I agree with you, I've said as much all the way through despite being very supportive of them.

I think once Moores sold the club we threw ourselves into big business and everything that comes with it, too late to complain about it now.
[/quote]

It's only five past eleven. I'll moan about this for fucking ages.

It doesn't matter that it needs 14 clubs to vote on it. If they don't get their way they'll just split from the league and form a European thing. This is the just a shot across the bow, the beginning of finding the next bit of leverage.

What the fuck does this have to do with John Henry specifically? This is the way things have been going forever, so it's long past the time for your tears.

As you say, this is all about getting leverage to secure what is in business terms, a fairer deal. His argument is 100% correct from that perspective. Liverpool deserve more of the overseas broadcasting rights. A trip to a football bar anywhere in the world makes that plain as day.

Do you want a business owner who is somehow not thinking in that way? Do you want him to have some sort of naive idealism and then watch as we, with principals intact, fade into oblivion?

Or is your issue that this is not in the long term best interests of the sport, that the teams as a whole should be interested in the security of the league, ala the NFL. That's certainly a valid opinion, but at what point over the last couple decades has that been true? How much more plutocratic could the league become, anyway? The same teams win it year in and year out, and the same teams are chasing. This has been the case for years and it is only getting worse. The only thing that changes it is when some oligarch wants a new toy.

The ever reliable David Conn.

Tearing up the pooled TV deal is a recipe for the rich to get richer

David Conn guardian.co.uk, Tuesday 11 October 2011 22.31 BST Article history

So, in relaxed, celebratory mood a year on from the court battle which ousted Tom Hicks and George Gillett from Liverpool and installed new Americans, Fenway Sports Group, as the club's owners, the managing director, Ian Ayre, mused out loud about breaking up the Premier League TV deal. That is the one element of clubs' income which they share; everything else, the tickets (prices raised to £45 this season to sit on the Kop), replica shirts at £40, advertising and sponsorship, the clubs all keep to themselves.

The Premier League, of course, was itself formed as a breakaway in 1992, by Liverpool and the other First Division clubs, from having to share the forthcoming satellite TV millions with the clubs in the other three divisions of the Football League. In its 20th season, the Premier League has managed to keep its own TV?sharing formula intact, the one mechanism which operates to at least give the Boltons a chance of not embarrassing themselves at Old Trafford, even if all clubs outside four, at most, have no chance of expecting to challenge for the title.

The domestic TV deal – the £2.1bn from 2010?13 which Rupert Murdoch's BSkyB and ESPN pay for the live pay-TV stranglehold, and the BBC for bite-sized highlights – is shared 50% equally, 25% according to where a club finishes in the table, and 25% to clubs every time they are on live. It favours the big clubs, but not mountainously; Manchester United were paid £42.4m last season, while Blackpool, who received the lowest, made exactly half that, £21.2m.

Overseas rights have always been shared equally, and while in 1992 they were almost nonexistent, the current deal, reflecting the game's global popularity, especially in the Middle and Far East, is worth £1.4bn over the next three years. So last season Blackpool received the same as United: £17.9m.

It was only a matter of time before the big clubs would start to challenge this last vestige of sharing, as they did in the 1980s, removing, with the threat of the breakaway they ultimately did anyway, the sharing of gate receipts which had been core to the Football League's competition since it was founded in 1888.

It is a bitter pill, but not that surprising, that the club which has articulated this appetite is one of the four major clubs owned by American buyers. All of them own sports franchises in the US, where their sports operate very strict systems of sharing money, including ticket money, merchandising, TV rights, in fact all revenues. In Major League Baseball, in which Fenway owns the Boston Red Sox, gross revenues are taxed and shared quite equally – although the details are not publicly disclosed – and there is a draft system, specifically designed to ensure that the Red Sox, New York Yankees and other major teams do not relentlessly dominate and the competitions become predictable.

The American buyers for Liverpool, Arsenal and Manchester United in particular have been attracted into a sport which, unlike their own, now has a global following on television and the internet, from which they believe they can ultimately make a great deal of money. The Premier League also allows them to keep so much more of the money they make than US sports do, as financial dominance here does concentrate sporting success in the trophy cabinets of fewer clubs.

In 19 years only Blackburn Rovers, once, through its momentarily greater spending power, Arsenal three times, and Chelsea via an oligarch's fortune, have interrupted the dominance of United, the highest-earning club throughout, despite the debts loaded on by the Glazer takeover. A football story like Brian Clough's Nottingham Forest miracle, winning the league in their first season promoted in 1978 then the European Cup twice, is now impossible, because financial inequality buys too great a sporting inequality. Manchester City's move from ninth in the Premier League in 2008 to third last season was achieved after the spending of £600m by Sheikh Mansour of Abu Dhabi – it takes one of the world's richest men, not an inspirational football manager alone, to break into English football's elite.

Yet still, with no gate sharing, which helped level competition as the Football League grew into a storyboard of great clubs, or of other revenues, Ayre says Liverpool want more. The Premier League was born from an impulse of individual greed against the collective – unlike US sports – and that appetite has only grown, not lessened, in the 20th year of the English game's new era, with the last vestiges of sharing under renewed attack.

I hope the majority veto it.

I find Ayre's comments and his name-check of Bolton both unprofessional and slightly childish.

Embarrassing that we are at the forefront of this, a scheme to bleed more money out of grass roots and smaller clubs.

I think it's great. We either compete with the rich clubs or we don't. Right now were stuck as a second tier club and we're gonna stay that way unless something changes. The future of the league or English football isn't Liverpool FC's responsibility, the future of LFC is LFC's responsibility. Some of you need to remember that these smaller clubs aren't all angels. They also don't all put the TV money to good use so it will really benefit grassroots football.

[quote author=LarryHagman link=topic=47157.msg1411165#msg1411165 date=1318376795]
I hope the majority veto it.

I find Ayre's comments and his name-check of Bolton both unprofessional and slightly childish.

Embarrassing that we are at the forefront of this, a scheme to bleed more money out of grass roots and smaller clubs.
[/quote]

I think you made the wrong choice of words there.
We'd not be bleeding anyone's money, as the revenue from oversees broadcasting really is something that Scum and ourselves are responsible for - I'd say something like 90%.
I'm in Tokyo and if I go to a pub for a LFC game or walk past during a Scum game, they're absolutely packed. During any other PL game, hardly anyone there for the football, apart from the odd lads from England that support those teams.

People subscribe to the PL football package on sky sports here mostly for those two teams, plus Arse and Chelski but the numbers for those two are much much lower.
I understand the implications of such a move but I still think it's a valid point that needs to be discussed. Do clubs like Blackpool deserve to be receiving money on par with us and scum? We at least have a tiered system for domestic TV rights for the number of broadcasts plus league position. Maybe this point is being raised so that the top clubs can use it as a leverage to gain a similar deal?

Or we can all go back to an equal system for tv and share gate receipts with the Crewes of this world. We can certainly kiss a new stadium goodbye.

Ultimately at some stage I'd love to be able to just buy a package to watch all the Liverpool games . I've lost all interest in watching the other teams or 'Norwich V stoke' shite games . Obviously though i'd like this not to impact on the quality of the league so that would be the issue to solve somehow.
One thing I have never understood ....how are they able to show every single game live on German TV for half the price of Sky yet they still get full houses and the largest average attendances in Europe . Why can't they do that for the premier league ?

And i'm sorry but some of you need to face up to reality regarding our owners and modern football . Why would anyone bar some oligarch or sheik fool buy a club and just pour their own money into it ? Would you ? As long as they invest strongly into the team and we're successful I don't mind them making money . We'd all love for clubs to be owned by fans or the community but it's never been that way in British football and it will most likley never change . It's a pity but it's not like it wasn't always like this in some way .

However it’s dressed up, it’s taking money from some clubs so that other clubs can build new grounds, buy more expensive players and pay those players even higher wages, thus widening the playing field between the have’s and have nots. It preserves the status quo for those clubs who think they are the big boys, and prevents the other clubs from ever achieving that status.
That goes against the grain of what Sport should be for me.
Why not chuck everyone else out of the Prem and just let us, Chelsea, Man U and Arsenal play each other all the time? And where do Man City & Tottenham fit into all this? They’re arguably better teams than us at the moment, albeit maybe not as popular in some areas of the globe. That won’t be the case for ever though. What if we slip through the net and at some point have to join the also-rans? Would people still be as happy with this proposal then?
Football started going down the nick when the Prem was invented. The only people who think its better are those types who refer to Footy as a ‘product’. We avoided being whores for a while until Moores was inevitably put under pressure to go and find us a megalomaniac oligarch or whatever. Since then, a portion of our fans have become 'spend-to-win' at all cost whilst, ironically, deriding those teams who do it and are actually successful. Not that they see it.
I just find it fucking depressing that a Sport I used to love which involves kicking a ball round a field has come to this. Footy has probably already slipped to about 3rd or 4th on my list of preferred Sports to watch, after reading this little doozie from our ‘Commercial Director’, not sure I’ll bother at all anymore.

I think things would probably work out better if there was a salary cap relative to club revenue. Big clubs will find it easier to maintain their status, but you also won't have the smaller clubs going gung-ho and ending up bankrupt like many in the past. It would also stop oil money being pumped in.

By the way, I think you completely underestimate the popularity of ourselves and scum in asia. Tottenham and City being 'maybe not as popular in some areas of the globe' is so far from the truth it's not even funny. Liverpool did gain a lot of fans in 2005 but I can tell you they were still one of the two most popular teams in asia because of the 80's and the club's uniqueness.
When people spend money specifically for the sake of watching us, does it really make sense to split that money evenly by 20 and handing it out? Sure, share some of that revenue as it's a part of the PL product, but we should receive what we deserve, as should others. The same way domestic TV money is split.

All football clubs should become NPO's and all footballers go onto a salary scale capped at 100k per year .

That'll soon separate the football lovers from the chaff

[quote author=RedZeppelin link=topic=47157.msg1411181#msg1411181 date=1318387923]
Ultimately at some stage I'd love to be able to just buy a package to watch all the Liverpool games . I've lost all interest in watching the other teams or 'Norwich V stoke' shite games . Obviously though i'd like this not to impact on the quality of the league so that would be the issue to solve somehow.
One thing I have never understood ....how are they able to show every single game live on German TV for half the price of Sky yet they still get full houses and the largest average attendances in Europe . Why can't they do that for the premier league ?

And i'm sorry but some of you need to face up to reality regarding our owners and modern football . Why would anyone bar some oligarch or sheik fool buy a club and just pour their own money into it ? Would you ? As long as they invest strongly into the team and we're successful I don't mind them making money . We'd all love for clubs to be owned by fans or the community but it's never been that way in British football and it will most likley never change . It's a pity but it's not like it wasn't always like this in some way .
[/quote]

The price of match tickets.

England ridicuously expensive, Germany relatively inexpensive.

Individual TV rights are not a good idea. The big clubs already have a significant advantage over the smaller ones due to the size of their fan-base. This would make an already sloping playing field one of Alpe d'Huez size proportions.

Serie A has gone back to shared rights to eliminate some of the imbalance.

[quote author=Hardcastle link=topic=47157.msg1411193#msg1411193 date=1318400562]
All football clubs should become NPO's and all footballers go onto a salary scale capped at 100k per year .

That'll soon separate the football lovers from the chaff
[/quote]

That wouldn't work. The money in football isn't going to just disappear and if the clubs and players don't get it someone else will.

Also, 100K a year isn't enough when your career ends in your early 30's.

Do we really have to address the imbalance? Ultimately we want to win so I guess we have to maximise every advantage and if individual tv rights help us in winning then, arrogant as it may sound, why not?

Winning vs Ensuring parity among football clubs: Mutually Exclusive?

I've just re-read that Guardian article again and it makes me shudder. It would be extremely disappointing enough if we supported any other teams in this effort, let alone be prepared to champion it.
For me, could be a watershed moment in this club's history. Ayre's rhetoric (which is obviously Henry's), and manner in which it is put across, is horrible.

[quote author=FoxForceFive link=topic=47157.msg1411123#msg1411123 date=1318369188]
Joy. Our club now not only epitomises most things I hate in the modern day game, they're actually trying to lead it more into the hell I've prayed football wouldn't become.

FUCK.

I honestly think within a couple of years I'll be watching AFC Liverpool.
[/quote]

I'm pleased with this. For years we looked on as United led the way in marketing and ran away with things financially and arguably, globally. Now we're the first Premier League club to look at breaking away and showing the initiative. It's not nice but if you can't beat'em......

[quote author=DHSC link=topic=47157.msg1411199#msg1411199 date=1318402892]
Do we really have to address the imbalance? Ultimately we want to win so I guess we have to maximise every advantage and if individual tv rights help us in winning then, arrogant as it may sound, why not?

[/quote]

I don't think we need to ensure there's parity in football because there will always be some clubs earning more than others, but there does need to be changes to other aspects of the game in order for it to stay competitive. You can't have a situation whereby a small market club who continually produce players are routinely having them poached the minute the players do well. I would love to see some sort system similar to baseball whereby clubs are guaranteed the first 4 years of a players career, from the time he makes his debut. Then have an arbitration year with a little bit of compensation (in the form of taking players not on the 25 man squad of the club who signs your player, i.e. youths) if the player decides he wants to leave.

That way clubs are rewarded for their good decision making. If things stay the same and players can rock the boat and jump at the first opportunity then we'll end up with three or four Man City's in the league and nothing else.

[quote author=Rosco link=topic=47157.msg1411204#msg1411204 date=1318405304]
[quote author=DHSC link=topic=47157.msg1411199#msg1411199 date=1318402892]

[/quote]

I don't think we need to ensure there's parity in football because there will always be some clubs earning more than others, but there does need to be changes to other aspects of the game in order for it to stay competitive. You can't have a situation whereby a small market club who continually produce players are routinely having them poached the minute the players do well. I would love to see some sort system similar to baseball whereby clubs are guaranteed the first 4 years of a players career, from the time he makes his debut. Then have an arbitration year with a little bit of compensation (in the form of taking players not on the 25 man squad of the club who signs your player, i.e. youths) if the player decides he wants to leave.

That way clubs are rewarded for their good decision making. If things stay the same and players can rock the boat and jump at the first opportunity then we'll end up with three or four Man City's in the league and nothing else.
[/quote]

Thing is Ross, good players from small market clubs have always been poached the moment they do well. If you meant the younger players who have yet to signed a contract then yes I would agree. Theoratically the MLB version is good; but here we are dealing with it on a global basis, do we implement the same set of rules for a small club in Peru (no offence to SCM's Peruvians) and for Man City? I guess the legal framework in the EU regarding movement of labour does not help either.

Get rid of transfer fees and put all players on 4 year contracts. They can only leave after the contract ends or if the club and player agrees to mutually terminate it. Would prevent clubs from overspending on wages and to manage the business side better as they cant rely on transfer fees anymore. Limit all squads to 25 players only, youth players included, but include a provision to de-register players and replace them with only YOUTH players from the academy.

Fuck me, so many on here showing a lovely 'fuck you' attitude to smaller football clubs. Surprises me.

Without teams to play of a similar standard, or capable of competing at some level, football becomes dull & uninteresting, worse, predictable.

That's not to even factor in the long term damage to English football. I love the fact we have a huge amount of league clubs, & that I know loads of lads who have played lower league footy professionally, it means the dream of becoming a player is accessible. This deal & the inevitable domestic deal that would follow would kill some of those clubs off.

You may scoff & say if we can't beat them join them, or that's the nature of the modern game, or any other meaningless cliched platitude, but we would be destroying hundreds of football clubs, at many levels, breaking thousands of supporters hearts.

I suggest some of you cast your minds back a year to when we were facing administration & think how that felt.

The term has become a cliche amongst our fans, but Shanks would be spinning is his grave.

[quote author=Farkmaster link=topic=47157.msg1411153#msg1411153 date=1318372418]
What the fuck does this have to do with John Henry specifically? This is the way things have been going forever, so it's long past the time for your tears.
[/quote]

You're right. It's got nothing to do with the derivatives trader that owns LFC. And a progression into a much worse way of structuring a league, I should have been moaning about that years ago should I?

Why don't you have you own fucking funeral today? Why haven't you had it already?

This is bullshit, Im embarrassed our club is pushing this issue, totally and absolutely embarrassed, there is no such thing as enough money for some people, first it will be the foreign rights then in a year or two the domestic ones, then a European super league. What has happened to this sport? I hope it gets shot down by every other club (although Im sure Utd and Arsenal will be firmly in favour)

Anybody who thinks this a good idea is nuts, short term we would gain but still not have as much money as Utd Chelsea and City, long term it will destroy the entire football league, so not really a win win scenario

Maybe clubs can negotiate foreign tv rights on a 2 for 1 basis. eg if you want to purchase the right to broadcast Liverpool overseas you will have to broadcast Bolton's too. Then the amt is split 60-40 or something like that. Caveat is that is has to be one big club and one small club.

[quote author=Woland link=topic=47157.msg1411239#msg1411239 date=1318411594]
We could joint bid with Everton!
[/quote]

Well if we're helping the small clubs why not? ;)

[quote author=FoxForceFive link=topic=47157.msg1411231#msg1411231 date=1318410060]

Without teams to play of a similar standard, or capable of competing at some level, football becomes dull & uninteresting, worse, predictable.

[/quote]

Which is exactly what it's like right now anyway.

[quote author=Ryan link=topic=47157.msg1411248#msg1411248 date=1318412096]
[quote author=FoxForceFive link=topic=47157.msg1411231#msg1411231 date=1318410060]

[/quote]

Which is exactly what it's like right now anyway.
[/quote]

It's far off, but this & the 'end game' that's clearly envisaged would lead to a MASSIVE gap between the top 4 clubs & everyone else, whereas at least now clubs can hope to break into that & occasionally succeed.

Also, as I said, the long term effect would kill lower league football in this country, which is already struggling as the PL tv rights money isn't trickled down anywhere near enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom