• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Billion Dollar Baby

Status
Not open for further replies.

[article]The Red Sox fired manager John Farrell on Wednesday, another quick exit from the postseason leading to his demise.

The Sox were 93-69 this season, winning the American League East behind a powerful pitching staff. But for the second year in a row, they were eliminated in the Division Series, this time in four games by the Houston Astros.

Farrell, 55, had another season on his contract but will instead be replaced. The next Red Sox manager will be the third in a span of only eight seasons.[/article]

Don't follow baseball personally. Is this a 'norm'?

Similar to Chelsea turning over managers. They've been successful, but not successful enough. Like crashing out in the CL quarters and finishing 3rd in the league each year. Which we'd take - at least for a while!

[article]The Red Sox fired manager John Farrell on Wednesday, another quick exit from the postseason leading to his demise.

The Sox were 93-69 this season, winning the American League East behind a powerful pitching staff. But for the second year in a row, they were eliminated in the Division Series, this time in four games by the Houston Astros.

Farrell, 55, had another season on his contract but will instead be replaced. The next Red Sox manager will be the third in a span of only eight seasons.[/article]

Don't follow baseball personally. Is this a 'norm'?

Surprised to see him go. He's won the World Series once, which is huge, obviously, but he's also had two first place and two last places and having won the AL East this season with the huge investment in playing staff it was a big blow to go out so meekly in the ALDS for the second straight year. He's also been off with cancer a bit over the past two years.

Not unusual at all to sack a manager when everything was lined up for success but for two years he fell short of the very high expectations. But the Red Sox have only had one other manager last five years since the war, so he did well to last this long!

Yeah Hotspur, Rovers, Forest, United, Wednesday, Town, City and Albion are much better.

I've always thought "Hotspur" was quite ace and weird. Like a boy's comic from the 50s.

Actually, I think it was.

But I quite like the austere, functional aspect of calling the football team from Liverpool, "Liverpool".

Hotspur was someone's actual name, wasn't it?

I never quite understood Wednesday. Naming a club after a day of the week?? Unless that was someone's name as well.

Hotspur was someone's actual name, wasn't it?

I never quite understood Wednesday. Naming a club after a day of the week?? Unless that was someone's name as well.
It was a team of Butchers (I think) who could only play their games on Wednesdays as that was their day off.

It's still a weird name, imagine Liverpool Tuesday or Chelsea Thursday. Hotspur, Argyll and Rangers (as in QPR) are all as weird as any of the aforementioned American names.

Last edited:
I've always thought "Hotspur" was quite ace and weird. Like a boy's comic from the 50s.

Actually, I think it was.

But I quite like the austere, functional aspect of calling the football team from Liverpool, "Liverpool".

Hotspur is pretty cool. Funnily enough I've been doing some work for English Heritage this week and I came across Harry Hotspur. He was from the NE and was instrumental in getting Henry IV on the throne and kicking Scottish arse. He was nicknamed Hotspur by the Scots and his family had a place in Tottenham. Which is why they are called Tottenham Hotspur, apparently. Fun Friday fact folks!

That came in in 1953, so either Sean was remarkably precocious or he's even older than I thought he was. ;)

And before anybody asks, I wasn't even born then.

Well a one billion pound price tag will make damn sure this doesn't happen, that's the value recently attached to Utd under similar circumstances, if you were an investor with no attachment, who would you buy?

I wouldn't be so sure of that mate.

All the better for coming on a Thursday. Were you the guy in the Vatican who introduced Saturday evening masses counting for Sunday obligations?

Ha! I'm going away tomorrow and so this is may last day at work this week. So my brain automatically shifted in to Friday mode.

That came in in 1953, so either Sean was remarkably precocious or he's even older than I thought he was. ;)

And before anybody asks, I wasn't even born then.
I thoughts it was more recent than that. Wiki suggests it was introduced at Vatican II, which ran from 1962 and finished exactly a week before I was born in 1965

One Billion is kind of low by current valuations though no? Although FSG would make off like Bandits.

I'd hate to be owned by some Middle East Mogul. .

For now City and PSG are doing OK. But the underlying governments (lets not hide) that own them - you can never guarantee long-term stability by being owned by the oil rich nations. Also those economies are domestically not that great given the price of oil. The only difference being Qatar because they have those gas fields ( if I am correct) and so have other sources of income plus the fact that all that money they earn only needs to support 300K people also handy.

Knowing our luck we will be owned by someone related to the Saudi government.

If we're going north of the border, I'll see your Thistle and raise you an Academicals.

That's nothing compared to down under - Victory, Glory, Heart, Phoenix, Roar.....

The AFL, NRL & Super Rugby teams are worse - added to your general animals you can follow the Eels, Bombers, Rebels, Force, Power, Suns, Demons, Crowd, Sharks, Roosters...

My favourite is the Manly Sea Eagles

That's nothing compared to down under - Victory, Glory, Heart, Phoenix, Roar.....

The AFL, NRL & Super Rugby teams are worse - added to your general animals you can follow the Eels, Bombers, Rebels, Force, Power, Suns, Demons, Crowd, Sharks, Roosters...

My favourite is the Manly Sea Eagles
You're forgetting the best name of all, and it comes from the mother land.

Harland and Wolf Welders.

You're forgetting the best name of all, and it comes from the mother land.

Harland and Wolf Welders.

They'd go well with Fremantle Dockers.

Lisburn Distillery.... on the other hand.

20 years time and it will be Liverpool Microsoft, Manchester Google and Chelsea Apple.

If we're going north of the border, I'll see your Thistle and raise you an Academicals.

Hahahaha

When I was a kid, listening to the Scottish classified results made the place sound incredibly strange and exotic:

Partick Thistle
Hamilton Academical's
Heart of Midlothian
And my particular favourite, Queen Of The South

Hahahaha

When I was a kid, listening to the Scottish classified results made the place sound incredibly strange and exotic:

Partick Thistle
Hamilton Academical's
Heart of Midlothian
And my particular favourite, Queen Of The South

East Fife won 5-4 on Saturday but it wasn't against Forfar.

Anyway I suppose there is no billion dollar buyer after all if we are digressing into these other areas...

Hahahaha. The new world corporate football order & STILL we get the shitty end of the stick. FFS.
Yeah I didn't exactly do us any favours there did I? Ok, how about Liverpool Industrial & Commercial Bank Of China.........Liverpool ICBC.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom