• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Borini's thinking?

Status
Not open for further replies.
In all seriousness, I'm not too bothered by him staying here.

I'm fine with him playing in the Carling Cup and I'm fine with being able to bring him off the bench to get a goal. Lambert is similar to Ballotelli (ish) - so similar we shuld have got Eto'o instead of Lambert I might add. Borini offers something a bit different. If we can use him as a Hernandez type he might prove useful. There's no other role for him here and Rodgers was mistaken to play him out wide.

Barring a major injury crisis, I doubt he'd make it to any matchday squad. I really think we won't hear of him again until Jan when the window reopens. And at his reported 30k/week salary, he isn't a huge drain on our finances.

Doesn't really need a spate of injuries though. If one of the strikers is out and Rodgers wants to play two up front, then short of using Sterling as a striker, Rodgers will likely put Borini on the bench.

I don't get the gnashing of teeth over a player not wanting to move. We gave him the contract so he he's honouring it. People are quick to slag people off when they want out. I'm not bothered if he stays. He's not good enough but he's not going to be a first team starter anyway.

By Chris Bascombe
10:30PM BST 02 Sep 2014

Fabio Borini, the Liverpool striker, faces being frozen out at Anfield for the foreseeable future after rejecting a lucrative summer move to Queens Park Rangers and Sunderland.

Liverpool are bemused by the Italian’s decision to spurn the advances of other Premier League clubs with Brendan Rodgers, the manager, having informed the 23-year-old he was unlikely to feature on Merseyside this season.

Borini defended himself via social media on Tuesday after negotiations with QPR broke down over the terms of his contract. The London club had a £10  million bid accepted.

The Italian wanted a £95,000-a-week contract, a severance package from Liverpool and an exit clause from QPR allowing him to leave for less than the £10 million they would have paid.

QPR offered a significant pay rise to the Italian, but would not agree to the clause.

Liverpool were willing to offer Borini a pay-off but negotiations broke down between the player and QPR as the transfer deadline approached.

Earlier in the summer, Borini rejected a return to Sunderland for £14 million, having spent a successful loan spell in the North West.

“Finally, the madness is finished,” Borini wrote on Twitter. “I protected the man and the player that I am today. I am very happy with myself to have taken such an important decision.”

Liverpool have Daniel Sturridge, Mario Balotelli and Rickie Lambert ahead of Borini as Rodgers considers his options.

Borini was Rodgers’s first signing as Liverpool’s manager in July 2012, having paid £10.5 million to Italian club Roma. Rodgers had earlier worked with the Italian at both Chelsea and during a loan stint with Swansea, where Borini assisted in the Welsh club’s promotion.

It would appear that the Italian sees his next career move to be at a club whose profile matches that of Chelsea, Roma and Liverpool and did not want to risk being contracted to a side fighting nearer the bottom of the division without a means of escape at a later date.

Liverpool, however, would have preferred to cash in having received such attractive bids.

The problem that Rodgers now faces is that Borini’s valuation is only likely to dip if he is deprived of football, although there will be a hope that circumstances will have changed by the time of the next transfer window in January and that the striker will be more willing to move on.

Liverpool were also unable to shift midfielder Lucas, receiving no offers for the Brazilian. There was some interest in taking him on loan, but an expected bid from Napoli never materialised.

I'm not quite sure what people see in Borini that they like.

On the one hand we're delighting in the pace and skill of the likes of Sterling and on the other almost regressing to finding something nice to say about someone that has neither of those things.

Every time he's played for us he's looked laborsome and struggled to get into the game. Things weren't a whole lot better at Sunderland.

Fair enough the guy might make good runs and be a willing worker but fuck me we've moved on from that shit, surely.

Has anyone really said that they like him and want him to stay? Not in this thread so much anyway, the only defense of him here is that he doesn't deserve flack for wanting to stay and fight for a place and he definitely doesn't warrant people "hoping" he gets a career ending injury. No one has actually said "great, we've got Sturridge, Sterling and Balotelli, let's regress and play Borini". It's pretty obvious that, at best, people think he might manage to get a few cup games. We don't need to be told we're a better team these days, but willing a player on his hardly a regression of ambition, it's what we do, or it was.

The only regression I can see is a couple of fans wishing him injury, calling him a selfish cunt, "I hate him" etc. Really? Is this what we've become?

Has anyone really said that they like him and want him to stay? Not in this thread so much anyway, the only defense of him here is that he doesn't deserve flack for wanting to stay and fight for a place and he definitely doesn't warrant people "hoping" he gets a career ending injury. No one has actually said "great, we've got Sturridge, Sterling and Balotelli, let's regress and play Borini". It's pretty obvious that, at best, people think he might manage to get a few cup games. We don't need to be told we're a better team these days, but willing a player on his hardly a regression of ambition, it's what we do, or it was.

The only regression I can see is a couple of fans wishing him injury, calling him a selfish cunt, "I hate him" etc. Really? Is this what we've become?

Quite a few have said they like him yes.

Quite a few have said they like him yes.
I think he's a decent player who initially showed promise. Only problem is that persistent injuries marred his career with us. Last season he looked decent and scored goals against good sides.

I think he'll have a part to play before the new year, even if it is cup games.

Even if Borini is shipped in January, we won't get offered half of what we were in this window.

Yeah but that's not his problem.

Rational self interest Peter? I thought you were a Randroid?

"Finally the madness is finished! I protected the MAN and the player that I am today… taking all the responsibility of the situation and for people who didn't want it... and I'm VERY happy with myself to have taken such an important decision!"
From Twitter.
Has he had some sort of breakdown?

Yeah but that's not his problem.

Rational self interest Peter? I thought you were a Randroid?

If you mean Ayn Rand, I wouldn't really know, because she's one of those nutters that other nutters worship. I don't like that kind of fanaticism in anything. I try to make up my mind on each topic independently.

And even if I were, it's rational self-interest you're referring to, anyway, not rational Borini's interest.

This is all well and good but why does NO ONE seem to know what he said on Twitter?

I like the attitude from Fabio - must be difficult wanting to prove himself. I think @peterhague 's inner accountant is annoyed at not being able to sell him at what is likely the highest he is ever valued. If he manages to find his way into the team then great but he will definitely be below Lambert in the striker list. If we play 1 up top and have 2 wide forwards then he might get the odd run out but again wayyy down the pecking order.

Oh God, the entire football world has realised how shite Lucas is and we're stuck with him forever.

The last contract extension (signed just last summer) was described as 'long term'

Yeah, but has anyone really been saying, "let's play him instead of...", they haven't, have they?

That's irrelevant.

This is an unnecessary. I haven't said anything out of line. People have said they like him and see some qualities in him. I am saying I don't see it.

What's the problem here?

Exactly. It's a reasonable point. Before it became clear that we wanted rid of him I'd say he majority on here were in favour of keeping him, and seemed to think he was worth another go. They obvioiusly see something in him that people like keni and me don't.

That's irrelevant.

This is an unnecessary. I haven't said anything out of line. People have said they like him and see some qualities in him. I am saying I don't see it.

What's the problem here?

That's an odd post in my opinion Keni, especially the last line, "What's the problem here"?
Am.... no one is actually making a case for Borini to get minutes or exaggerating his worth to the team. Some like him as a person and a player that they are happy to have as 4th choice. Fabio has a soft spot for him but even he isn't making that much of a case for him to stay.

Just to go back to a previous post, "Fair enough the guy might make good runs and be a willing worker but fuck me we've moved on from that shit, surely".
Yes we have, he's 4th choice and we tried to sell him to cut our loses on the deal. We have moved on. We have three better strikers than him.

I think people are defending his decision to stay (and the fact he isn't a total cunt or deserving of an injury) more so than defending his footballing talents.The majority of the site if not ALL of the site were happy for him to go for the reported fee. I don't think anyone made a case for him to stay once we heard the reported fee.

He turned down the move and he had every right to do so. He isn't a massive cunt for doing this. It's frustrating for us because we won't be offered 10 million + again for him. If he wants to fight for his place and act as our 4th choice striker (on wages of 30k) then fair enough, let him. I can't see him lasting here beyond Jan bar an injury to our main strikers.

We should all move on. I'm out of this discussion anyway, I wanted to sell him too FFS. Ha.

That's an odd post in my opinion Keni, especially the last line, "What's the problem here"?
Am.... no one is actually making a case for Borini to get minutes or exaggerating his worth to the team. Some like him as a person and a player that they are happy to have as 4th choice. Fabio has a soft spot for him but even he isn't making that much of a case for him to stay.

Just to go back to a previous post, "Fair enough the guy might make good runs and be a willing worker but fuck me we've moved on from that shit, surely".
Yes we have, he's 4th choice and we tried to sell him to cut our loses on the deal. We have moved on. We have three better strikers than him.

I think people are defending his decision to stay (and the fact he isn't a total cunt or deserving of an injury) more so than defending his footballing talents.The majority of the site if not ALL of the site were happy for him to go for the reported fee. I don't think anyone made a case for him to stay once we heard the reported fee.

He turned down the move and he had every right to do so. He isn't a massive cunt for doing this. It's frustrating for us because we won't be offered 10 million + again for him. If he wants to fight for his place and act as our 4th choice striker (on wages of 30k) then fair enough, let him. I can't see him lasting here beyond Jan bar an injury to our main strikers.

We should all move on. I'm out of this discussion anyway, I wanted to sell him too FFS. Ha.

I didn't mention anything about the transfer, did I?

I think you guys are confusing me with Peter here.

There have been more than a couple people that said they'd be happy for him to stay earlier on in the transfer window, more than a few that reckoned he is a good player and can still improve and all that jazz... all I'm saying is that I don't particularly rate him and I don't get the sympathetic views on Borini (with regards to his playing abilities and possible inclusion in the team as 4th choice or otherwise).

So again I ask, what's the problem? Why get so defensive?

Heh, Why did you ask 'What's the problem' again for? Who has a problem? Is problem the correct term here? I can't remember others making a claim for Borini to stay and play earlier in the window so can't really comment on that.

I'm certainly not being defensive also. I wanted him gone for the reported fee. Cut our losses etc as I don't think he'll make it here. The only thing I defended was his right to turn down a move to Sunderland and Peter's over aggressive stance at him for wanting to stay. If he wants to fight for him place so be it. As I said I don't think he'll be here past Jan.

What's the problem in that I don't get why my post is being pulled up and when you're going on about people only saying this and that (I.e implying my post is being unfair) it does come across as defensive... at least to me.

Borini won't even start cup games. What's the point?
Starting to doubt that Suso will start as well.

I'm mad because we're not going to get anywhere close to 14 million after he's spent a season on our bench.

He'll play about 10-15 games at the most (as a sub mostly), and I can't see him making a very great impact. A couple of goals maybe. His next move will likely be a loan :mad:

That's irrelevant.

What's the problem here?

I didn't say there was a problem, Christ. I thought you were exaggerating your point, banging on about regression, that would only be fair if people were saying use him instead of what we've got - yeah we've moved on, once upon a time he (or someone similar) would have been vying for a place in the team, now people are, at best, content with him being 4th choice/whatever. Progress no? I think everyone would have preferred to have sold him, but it hasn't happened. Some are just saying he's a good guy with a decent attitude. NO ONE said anything more than, he'll do a job here and there.

I'm bemused with Pete saying it's a reasonable point, if anyone has (over)reacted on this thread by stating he doesn't deserve the flack he's getting, it's probably, you know, in reply to pathetic attitudes like wishing injury on him - just don't take it as people overstating his worth. He just maybe deserves a bit more respect for his attitude alone.

I didn't say there was a problem, Christ. I thought you were exaggerating your point, banging on about regression, that would only be fair if people were saying use him instead of what we've got - yeah we've moved on, once upon a time he (or someone similar) would have been vying for a place in the team, now people are, at best, content with him being 4th choice/whatever. Progress no? I think everyone would have preferred to have sold him, but it hasn't happened. Some are just saying he's a good guy with a decent attitude. NO ONE said anything more than, he'll do a job here and there.

I'm bemused with Pete saying it's a reasonable point, if anyone has (over)reacted on this thread by stating he doesn't deserve the flack he's getting, it's probably, you know, in reply to pathetic attitudes like wishing injury on him - just don't take it as people overstating his worth. He just maybe deserves a bit more respect for his attitude alone.

As I said, I think it was unnecessary to pick me up on this. I don't know what you're trying to achieve - unless it's some kind of proxy argument you're trying to have with Peter. I haven't exaggerated anything in terms of what has been said about him - it wasn't limited to "if IF we don't sell him then he might just perhaps be able to do a job as 4th but it's not great" - so, I'm happy with my original post (which had nothing to Peter or the argument any one is having with him) and don't accept your comments about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom